FJ-09 vs v-Strom

Howdy all! 

I'm in the very early stages of researching new bikes. I currently have an '06 GSXR 600 but am looking for one with an extremely less aggressive stance. This is where the FJ or V-Strom come in :) 

I've been trying to find a comparison of the 2 but it's been difficult. Do any of you have insight into this? I would probably be looking at the Strom 1000. 

Thanks!

I have a the new FJ-09 and had the first V-Strom and owned it longer than any bike I have ever owned. It was my first bike in years that wasn't a true sports bike.
I was so please to have a motorcycle with an up right seating position that was still great fun in the twisties, could carry two up comfortably with some luggage.
And if I got the urge I could ride days on end in comfort. The newer version is improved, but after several more big heavy bikes, I wanted something lighter, with
the same character. The FJ-09 was just what I wanted. Everyone has different needs, desires, tastes, so I would say ride both if possible. Some dealers might have
both which will make it easier.

Everyone has different needs, desires, tastes, so I would say ride both if possible. 

I've got both dealers in the area so a test ride will be easy. In fact, I'm heading tomorrow (should be 70*+!!) to test the FJ. Pretty excited.

• Premium Member
I have just bought a Tracer (FJ09). I have ridden a 650 Vstrom and it was a very comfortable bike with a very relaxed riding position. I'm pretty sure the 1000cc version will be as comfortable and either bike will suit your needs. Just test ride them and pick the one you think is the prettiest or whatever characteristic you value. For me, it was the fact the Tracer is a brand new design with an innovative engine and in the UK, it is priced very competitively.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

First off, you are on the FJ forum so expect answers to be biased. I will try to be unbiased based on what I know (which isn't much) and never having ridden either the strom 1000 or the FJ (I have test driven the v strom 650 though). I have done a lot of googling though and that makes me an expert.

The only question in my mind is, do you want to take it offroad at all? If yes, I would give the nod to the v strom. That's only if those are the only 2 bikes you would consider riding. I would still advise that the v strom is not a good choice to do much offroading on. It's too heavy, and even among the heavy adv bikes, there's better choices for offroading. The FJ has 15 hp more than the v strom, is lighter weight and costs about $2000 less than the v strom and comes with handguards and a center stand. The ergonomics are very similar. If it's only going to be on pavement, there's no question in my mind. Go with the FJ.

Looking at stromtrooper.com most v strom owners who have ridden both the 650 and the 1000 say the 650 is better than the 1000. It handles better, has a better track record for reliability and there was still plenty of power. It's only the people who own the 1000 and have never ridden the 650 that say to choose the 1000, because it has more power. I know the typical American mentality, it's a bigger engine so it must be better. (Ours goes to 11!) I find that's not always true. To me, it's a harder choice between the FJ and the v strom 650. I can get a leftover 650 for $2,500 less than the FJ and a lot of people say it has plenty of power, runs on regular and gets 55+ mpg. On the other hand, for $2,500 more, I can have traction control, hand guards, a center stand and 45-50 more horses but will only burn premium and "only" get 40ish mpg. I have to make the decision of if I want to sacrifice the performance to save some money. I haven't completely made up my mind, but I am leaning toward the FJ, because it goes to 11.

... sorry for the spinal tap reference. Couldn't help myself. I also completely understand the hypocrisy of choosing the fj over the strom 650 while choosing the strom 650 over the 1000. I just feel the FJ does it at a price point that really makes it a hard choice.

I also completely understand the hypocrisy of choosing the fj over the strom 650 while choosing the strom 650 over the 1000. I just feel the FJ does it at a price point that really makes it a hard choice.
That was an awesome response. Thank you! 99.9999% of my riding will be on road, so from everything I've read, the FJ is a better choice (although the Strom has a better seat, again from what I've read).  
I think my biggest dislike of the 650 is the looks. It doesn't feel like it has any character to me. 

I had a 2011 650 Vstrom and loved it. Did several trips and it was everything as advertised. Haven't done any trips on the FJ yet but so far its everything as advertised. To me the Strom and FJ are two entirely different bikes, no comparison. The 650 Strom is easier to work on than 1000. There is every kind of aftermarket stuff you want for either Strom but not much for the FJ. Get the FJ and someday you might find a good used Strom just for fun.

That was an awesome response.  

Thank you. :) The only one who can decide what's right for you is you. Looks are in the eye of the beholder, although the 650 doesn't do too much to help itself I have to admit. That's not super high on my priority list but I can understand if it is for you. Seats are extremely personal. Can't really say what's go to be comfortable for you on that. I'm in the same boat as you right now. I've done a lot of research on the v strom over the past year. I had pretty much decided to get a v strom 650 then I heard rumors of this bike and I just had to wait. I'm glad I did but my wife is not. Lol, she doesn't want me to spend the money. I had her sit on it last weekend and she thought the seat on the FJ was more comfortable though. First step in my evil plan to win her over.

I can decide for you if you like, then if you have any problems you could blame me? :)

The V Strom sounds like a very capable mile muncher if not a bit tame. The FJ probably not quite the same distances (I only plan the one 4000 mile trip this year) but awesome fun.

So yeah, get the FJ, I'll take the blame...

Howdy all!  
I'm in the very early stages of researching new bikes. I currently have an '06 GSXR 600 but am looking for one with an extremely less aggressive stance. This is where the FJ or V-Strom come in :) 

I've been trying to find a comparison of the 2 but it's been difficult. Do any of you have insight into this? I would probably be looking at the Strom 1000. 

Thanks!
A buddy bought the new 1000 Strom last fall, discounted. He's happy with it, no complaints. He would have considered the FJ-09 , but it was not out yet. His last bike was an ST1300.

We're both heading down to the Spring Fling for a direct V-Strom to FJ-09 competition. A 600 km day on a big variety of New England roads. But you probably can't wait until mid May for the results. ::)

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Archived