The Passion of The Motorcycle

Yes I love to ride no doubt and I have read a few of Neil Pearts's books. Must be nice being a rich rock star and take off for months on end to ride. For me it's been about balance  ya know kids, work, wife.  Sadly my wife passed away 12 years ago and I was left to raise 3 daughters on my own, but I still found time to ride once again balance. The kids are adults now and I have been cross country from NY , it was thrilling riding along the Pacific coast and Utah and CO. was awesome. I do remember being on the top of
Pikes Peek at 60 years old and thinking this is the best ride of my life. But I say that when I go down to WV and do the back roads in that area too. Yep I relate to what you said 

• 3 weeks later...
I almost gave up riding because of the inherent risks... Even though I pride myself on being safe and always expecting the unexpected, I'd hate to leave my wife by herself if I were to get killed. All we can do is reduce the risks but you never know if the next ride will be your last one. And that's a scary thought if you spend any time dwelling on it.

I decided not to give up motorcycling because after 3 months of not riding, I was getting depressed and I thought to myself that sitting on my @ss playing videogames for the rest of my life is no way to live. I'd rather take some calculated risks and enjoy my life than to live "risk-free" and be depressed.

I sold my Yamaha R3 of 2 years and just picked up a used 2017 FJ09 this weekend! I'm in love...

Ride safe, friends.

I almost gave up riding because of the inherent risks... Even though I pride myself on being safe and always expecting the unexpected, I'd hate to leave my wife by herself if I were to get killed. All we can do is reduce the risks but you never know if the next ride will be your last one. And that's a scary thought if you spend any time dwelling on it. 
I decided not to give up motorcycling because after 3 months of not riding, I was getting depressed and I thought to myself that sitting on my @ss playing videogames for the rest of my life is no way to live. I'd rather take some calculated risks and enjoy my life than to live "risk-free" and be depressed.

I sold my Yamaha R3 of 2 years and just picked up a used 2017 FJ09 this weekend! I'm in love...

Ride safe, friends.

I feel you. But you got to live. I don’t want to leave my wife and kids. The would struggle immensely without me. Ridding the couch isn’t who I am. My obituary will read he died doing stuff he loved not a heart attack waisting away the quality years of my life. Take the ride, take the leap, ride the wave whatever it is. Do it. I suffer with anxiety and my mind is restless. RIDE!! I need it more then I don’t. It’s my therapy.

I too have considered hanging up the leathers and getting out of riding for all the dangers. However, I met a guy at trackday recently and he had an interesting perspective. Not only did he almost die of cancer at 40, but his best friend did. He also works in life insurance and shared a story. Just recently some middle aged guy was playing basketball and twisted his knee up pretty good. Didn't require crutches or anything, but a trip to the doctor was warranted. He ended up dying of a brain aneurysm as a result of the knee injury. Not to mention the countless healthy people who drop dead of heart attacks for no reason.

Moral of the story: You can die from anything at anytime. You'd best enjoy the time you've got.

'15 FJ09

Archived