Throttle bodies sync question

sdwillie

Hey guys, finally got around to trying to sync the throttle bodies and using the cylinder with the white paint as a guide check out this video. The one that represents the white paint is all the way to the right and it doesn't seem to settle down so how can I sync the other two to it? Bike has been warmed up for about 10-15 minutes and the coolant temperature is about 180 degrees. https://photos.app.goo.gl/61kSuQAYQAGdcQnh7
2016 FJ09

You appear to be missing at least one of the restrictors.
The dampers are on all 4 wires although I am using only 3. They are closer to the engine as per the manual. I even hooked up the 4th hose and let it hang there but that didn't matter either (was hoping) that reference cylinder is still moving too much. 
2016 FJ09

Something is wrong with your gauge. All three bars should be bouncing a small amount similar to the one on the right. The one in the middle is not moving at all (wrong) and the one on the left is moving too much (wrong). Check at all connection points for tight fits.

Something is wrong with your gauge. All three bars should be bouncing a small amount similar to the one on the right. The one in the middle is not moving at all (wrong) and the one on the left is moving too much (wrong). Check at all connection points for tight fits.
All bars are moving I should have taken a longer video and posted but here it is. I borrowed the manometer off a friend and I dont know if there is anything wrong with it I assumed it was ok he always took care of his stuff. Carbtune

Also, I didn't think I needed to use the adapters in the pic (he had a yamaha also) so I just hooked the hoses right on to the nipples with no looseness.

IMG_20180909_212914985.jpg
2016 FJ09

All bars are moving I should have taken a longer video and posted but here it is. I borrowed the manometer off a friend and I dont know if there is anything wrong with it I assumed it was ok he always took care of his stuff.  Carbtune

Also, I didn't think I needed to use the adapters in the pic (he had a yamaha also) so I just hooked the hoses right on to the nipples with no looseness.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I don't think that's the fault of the meter. Each hose is separate, so if you can hook up a different hose to the white painted one and get the same results, then there's something going weird with either the engine or the nipple it attaches to.

Afraid I can't answer what, but I can confirm you're using the meter correctly from everything you've said.

All bars are moving I should have taken a longer video and posted but here it is. I borrowed the manometer off a friend and I dont know if there is anything wrong with it I assumed it was ok he always took care of his stuff.  Carbtune

The video of the meter doesn’t look correct to me either.

You stated that “all 3 are moving “ but are they all bouncing and moving similarly? Because the video doesn’t show that at all.

The furthest RH bank moves around the most.

There might be an adjustment on the gauge to smooth out the pulsations. Plug one gauge line into each of the 3 vacuum connections and make sure that it reads the same for each cylinder as a final check.

-Skip

You stated that “all 3 are moving “ but are they all bouncing and moving similarly? Because the video doesn’t show that at all.

There might be an adjustment on the gauge to smooth out the pulsations. Plug one gauge line into each of the 3 vacuum connections and make sure that it reads the same for each cylinder as a final check.

-Skip

You watched the second video right? Just checking. When I get home from work I will check to see about any adjustment settings on the carbtune but I don't recall seeing anything like that off the top of my head. Yes the furthest to the right is the reference cylinder which I am supposed to sync the others to but if its not steady not sure how I can sync them the same. I will experiment with moving the hoses around later. I also see how this video shows cylinder 1 (to the left ) is bouncing around as well. Seems to me like a tool issue but don't see how since its pretty straight forward to hook up.

2016 FJ09

-Skip

You watched the second video right? Just checking. When I get home from work I will check to see about any adjustment settings on the carbtune but I don't recall seeing anything like that off the top of my head. Yes the furthest to the right is the reference cylinder which I am supposed to sync the others to but if its not steady not sure how I can sync them the same. I will experiment with moving the hoses around later. I also see how this video shows cylinder 1 (to the left ) is bouncing around as well. Seems to me like a tool issue but don't see how since its pretty straight forward to hook up.

Carbtune has no adjustments. The rods need cleaning occasionally, but that's it. Test each cylinder with each of the vacuum hoses, if you get the same results for each with each hose, it's not the gauge.

Ok so I figured out what the problem was. My friend who assembled this carbtune (RIP) apparently assembled the tubes using the adapters in place of the clear dampers. I had to remove the electrical tape from each hose and pulled out each adapter. Now I am not sure if this was the correct set up for his 79 XS1100 special but I will never know. There was a clear damper tube in the case(funny enough you can see it in the picture i posted lol) he left untouched so I cut it into 4 equal parts and put the hoses back together and wouldn't you know it acts like it supposed to now. I know I said in an earlier post that the dampers were on but that was my mistake after I RTFM. I DO have one more question though. In order to move the rods up and down which way makes the rods go up and which way down? Im thinking turning the screws right makes the rods go down? Thanks guys.
2016 FJ09

Yes, tightening the air screws restricts the amount of air flowing through the bypass port in the TB.

But honestly, it doesn’t matter which way, just turn the screws the correct way to make them all line up as close as you can.

If the airscrew with the white paint mark IS NOT the lowest vacuum, then there is an alternative procedure you can use. However I don’t think that Yamaha publishes that procedure anymore.

Post back if you need more help.

-Skip

All synced up now although there was an oh shi* moment. As I am using the zip tie on the handgrip I dropped the carbtune and it went crashing to the cement ground in the garage. Start the bike with it in place and one of the rods was no longer moving. I was like oh crap but hey I have a 3 cylinder bike who cares! Going to be fun when my friend wants to borrow it to sync his FZ6 which of course is 4 cylinders. Not sure if there is a remedy for this but I am not too worried about it at the moment. Getting the sync done was most important. Thanks.
2016 FJ09

Archived