Soon to be new member from Sydney, AUSTRALIA + some advice

not4us

Hi all from sunny Sydney!
After lurking for years  on here reading about the beautiful FJ09 (been interested in the FJ09, or MT09 Tracer as it's known here, since it was first announced in 2014) I'm now about to buy one.
I love the triple engine that Yamaha created for the FZ09/MT-09 and would have gotten one of them if they weren't so uncomfortable and non-passenger / touring friendly, so when the FJ09 was announced I thought seriously about buying one.
Problem is, at that time, I got an incredible offer on a brand new 2015 Aprilia Caponord 1200 Touring that I couldn't refuse so ended up buying the "ape" in early 2016.
After admitting that the Caponord is too much of a bike for me I recently decide to sell it and buy a used FJ09 and the Aprilia sold last night so I'm now in the hunt for a 2015-16 FJ09.
I have a few lined up and they are all pretty similar but one that has caught my eye is a 2015 grey one with the Akra exhaust, panniers, new tyres an a major service just done (need to ask if it had the valves checked) BUT it has around 31,000 miles on it (the other are all around 10,000 miles or less).
Considering I only do about 3,000 to 5,000 miles a year, do you see any potential issue in getting  a higher mileage bike? I would be saving a bit of cash on it that I could put towards farkles and parts/maintenance.
Would love to hear from people that have done over 30,000 miles on their FJ09.
Cheers!

• Premium Member
no real issues if the bike has been well maintained, ask to see service records, especially for the valves. and check tires too

If the price difference isn't too much, I would likely opt for the lower mileage versions, but that is just my personal preference.

Greetings from sunny Q'ld, not4us.   I've owned three Tracers since early 2015, so I guess that makes me experienced but certainly not expert on these great little machines.   I think I'd have to support what David says and suggest you try to get hold of one with lowest-possible mileage, just to be on the safe side. 

Of course, cost may be an issue for you, but if not too tight a squeeze there are plenty of used Tracers on the bikesales website, some with extremely low kilometers - one a nice-looking red bike in Vic at 591km for $12,000, and another silver machine at 2199km for $11,990.   A new blue 2018 (?) is advertised with zero km at $16,500, which frankly is too much, IMHO.   

Plenty of others too - take a look if you haven't already done so.   

You are in a good bargaining position as - for reasons that escape me - Tracers have not been too popular on the Oz market and are not much sought-after: furthermore the release of the new 900 GT Tracer and non-GT variant will depress used prices even further.   And with a lower mileage/ younger bike you'll probably get at least part of the warranty transferable to you.

Happily, major malfunctions have been extremely rare (or at least not reported here).   My own three bikes had zero issues...

Plenty of excellent guidance here on farkles, add-ons, etc.   Enjoy.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
Always go for the lower mileage bike if you can. Farkels are cheap used on eBay, Rebuilding an abused bike is not. Try to find the latest model with no damage history

He who dies with the most toys wins.

Always go for the lower mileage bike if you can...
What he said!! 
Also, I'd be wary of used bikes that have been modified: exhaust, ECU flash, wiring mods / cuts, etc.

The work might be sketchy, and a hunt for more horse power usually means the bike has been ridden hard.

No bikes that have been dropped either.  Too much can be wrong (forks, swing arm, etc.)

I think the only farkle worth paying extra for on a used bike is brand-name hard bags and mounts.

Of course you can ignore the above if you want a project rather than a carefree ride, which some folks do!

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Well... it been done!
Found (in Facebook of all places) a very nice looking 2015 model (red) with just under 16,000kms (10,000 miles).
It was owned by a lady that used it for commuting and the odd trip here and there and you can tell it's been looked after very well (she even h.
Few extras: Yamaha OEM topbox, OEM heated grips and bar risers.
Needs new tyres and I will do oil and filters as well myself.
Price was very good ($9,200 AUD) so with the leftover change I'll be getting the oil an filters, new tyres, a full exhaust system (Black Widow) plus some other bits like a radiator guard and LED turn signals.
I haven't ridden it today as weather is pretty shitty in Sydney but here are some pics (form the previous owner):

42861655_2353375338022294_7763097299542081536_n.jpg

42867082_2353383728021455_6351940237723172864_n.jpg

42885042_2353375281355633_3449091633289625600_n.jpg

42892630_2353375228022305_205150852355194880_n.jpg

Always go for the lower mileage bike if you can...
I think the only farkle worth paying extra for on a used bike is brand-name hard bags and mounts.

Not my OP, but just to advise that the hard panniers (or bags) are standard on the Tracer in Oz - always have been.   At about AUD$1000 cost, the inclusion of them with the new bike added appreciably to its excellent value-for-money, IMHO.   Still cannot understand why they do not sell here!  

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Archived