New but oldie biker from UK

happyrider

Hi,

Have been looking at this forum over past few months and now thought that I would like to join you. I collected my 900gt on May 21st from The Motorbike Shop in Farnborough, UK. I was told that this was the first delivered in UK, not sure about that? Four months later I have done just over 8,000 miles on it which included a tour of Wales and a ride into the Austrian Alps for two weeks. This Alps tour included visiting the Austrian Redbull MotoGP, a fabulous weekend.

I have been riding motorbikes for 58 years and have ridden dozens of different models. (If you do the mathematics that puts me in my 70s) I have to say that the 900gt is one of the nicest bikes I have owned. Picking up on remarks made on this forum I would say that the stock seat is very comfortable. On the Alps tour I rode a 550 mile day on two occasions and although aching a little my backside was not in it’s normal numb state after such a long time in the saddle.

I agree with other forum members that the stock screen is not good. So I have purchased the MRA with aerofoil. Being taller and wider it is a good improvement. The noise level and fly strikes on my helmet have now been reduced a lot. Being a lighter bike than what I have previously owned is great. I am amazed at the punch I get out of the 847cc triple engine, it is a great motor. Have to use the gears a little more but I enjoy doing that. I prefer the reduced size of the panniers as it keeps the bike narrow for filtering safely. When touring I have done a conversion on the back seat to take a large Triumph bag which nearly doubles my load capacity. Because this bag is close to me the bike handles very well with it on and a bonus is that it offers me an excellent back rest.

Small things I don’t like are that the rear footrests get in the way if I use the balls of my feet on the front pegs. The tft screen is great but why did they not make the image a little larger to fill the whole of the screen. The ignition key is rather tucked away and I need to get the steering over to the left to easily get my hand in. But I can live with these minor criticisms, no bike is 100% perfect.

Happy to send you my route files for Garmin or TomTom but as I am new I am not sure how to do it. Maybe somebody could advise me please?

My route in goes right through centre of Alps via Black Forest and route out is on great roads on the boarder of the Alps and Germany. Plus we stayed at some excellent hotels.

• Supporting Member
I have been riding motorbikes for 58 years and have ridden dozens of different models. (If you do the mathematics that puts me in my 70s) I have to say that the 900gt is one of the nicest bikes I have owned.

Welcome to the forum.
I'm about 20 years behind you and hope to still be logging miles when I reach your age and beyond.
Keep riding and stay safe.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Happy to send you my route files for Garmin or TomTom but as I am new I am not sure how to do it. Maybe somebody could advise me please?  
My route in goes right through centre of Alps via Black Forest and route out is on great roads on the boarder of the Alps and Germany. Plus we stayed at some excellent hotels.
Welcome to the Forum HappyRider, I think your Dealer was telling a slight fib as my GT was delivered on the same day (so we can claim that they were the first 'batch' to be delivered I guess), however, I was on holiday at the time so you did pick your one up from the Dealer a week earlier than me.

Sending route files is simplicity itself, copy the route file from your TomTom or Garmin (either by transfer using whatever brand of route software you have, or by saving the route onto the SD, or micro SD card in your SatNav). Then copy the route file to a folder/ directory on your PC of your choosing. Then attach the file to an email and send it off. 

Alternatively copy the route file to a route sharing site (there are quite a few) so that the masses can download and enjoy your route.

Cheers
Steve

• Supporting Member
Welcome to the forum Happyrider. I have to agree with the Tracer is about the best bike I have ever bought of the showroom floor at this price point. Enjoy your new ride!

He who dies with the most toys wins.

Archived