Packing the standard panniers

rockapple

I have owned three Tracers - found no issues whatsoever with leaking panniers, and have been through some pretty heavy and long-lasting downpours.

Have to add, however, that the rain here is warm...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
I have been in some pouring rain for hours with mine and found no leaks. I do use different colored water-resistant stuff sacks to keep things separated inside the cases. I did the same thing when backpacking, and still do this inside my dry bags while canoeing.

That said. It's a clamshell system, extra care needs to be taken to not over-stuff them or have something slip between the lid and the body contact surface.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

That said. It's a clamshell system, extra care needs to be taken to not over-stuff them or have something slip between the lid and the body contact surface.
That's a very good point - raining or not, I always run my fingers around the lid/ body joint when locking-up the cases just to ensure that everything's 100% inside.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
Good comments above about water tightness, that has been my experience too.  Don't over pack and make sure the lid makes good contact with the case.

I purchased a set of Kathy's Journey Design case liners made for the FJR, they fit very well.  Only $100 for the set.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

• Premium Member
I just don't carry all that much around.

Around town I have a Givi XS313 XStream 20L Tail Bag tail bag permanently attached to a Yamaha luggage rack.

If it's a long day trip, figure dawn to dusk or more, in excess of 250 miles. I put a Cortech Super 2.0 12-Liter Magnetic Tank Bag on. With the tail bag.

On long trips with known laundry options I carry the tank and tail bags with Maintenance items in the side cases.

Side case items are Tire plug kit, tire inflator, tire pressure gauge, Chain lube and cleaner. I have carried around the tools to adjust chain tension for years and NEVER used them for trips up to 3,500+ miles. I leave the side cases on the bike overnight in situations I consider safe.

Everything I use overnight is in an Endurostan 32l drybag with "extras" in water-resistant stuff sacks in the side cases.

"Extras" Are weather dependent. Cold = more cold stuff. Hot = Shorts, sandals and underwear.

I know this is beyond the scope of "are they water-tight" theme, but look at you gear with a severely critical eye. What can you "really" not do without?

Focus on what you need, not what you would like to have.

As always. YMMV

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Archived