Accessory connections

fr8dog

• Premium Member

Purchased a little air compressor that runs off the battery. It has SAE connectors on it. I assume I just need an adapter to plug into the cig lighter looking thing on the left? Would that be correct?

Also, I've been reading about the accessory wires between the dash and windscreen. Are those connectors the same as the ones I used for the oem heated grips? Can they be used to power a phone, gps or heated gear?

One last thing. Can't find the thread, but somebody used the hole on the right side of the dash for an outlet. Any suggestions for that side?

Thanks

• Premium Member

The cigarette lighter doesn't have much juice, you may need to run a wire direct to your battery. You can install the pigtails and leave the other end covered and buried under the seat, and just open the seat and un-plug the cover to use when necessary.

• Supporting Member

If you have a battery tender, it should have a negative and positive connector to permanently connect to your battery, the other end of that is an SAE connector. 

I leave that connector attached permanently (it hangs out the left side under the seat) and either use it for heated gear or battery tender when I’m not riding. 

And yes, the right side of the dash can be fitted with a 2nd 12v socket, although they aren’t 100% reliable so I stopped using them. I hard wired my GPS into the plug behind the windscreen.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Thanks guys. When she showed me the compressor she mentioned something about a battery tender. I should have asked more questions. Anything weird going to happen when I disconnect the battery?

• Supporting Member

@fr8dog - Probably multiple ways to approach this, but an SAE pigtail under the rear seat section connected directly to the battery seems appropriate for this application.   As an added bonus, it also serves as the connection for a battery tender, and can plug into power other devices.   My setup is as @betoney described, except with the plug kept in the underseat tray instead of hanging out the bodywork.  

Nothing connected: 

02871E58-9AB6-498A-B473-C5849431A750.thumb.jpeg.700c9f4a759859a2a5b9c671cd4153aa.jpeg

Battery Tender connected:

7B5282F7-31FD-4476-883A-D3662F966BC5.thumb.jpeg.080e6dbce355dd26c4f7236a352123a6.jpeg

Connected to USB converter that runs hardwiring to power my iPhone (via 6 foot USB to Lightning cable)

CDA22305-DFBA-4D40-8221-2A0417041E45.thumb.jpeg.a0fbbc3f89ee5d3883166e407cbac9ea.jpeg

Simple & effective, and all the wiring stays nice and clean by being out of the elements.  It takes maybe 15 seconds total to change the plug connections, so I don’t find it at all inconvenient.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Yet another option... install a port on side of the bike, wired to battery (at the fuse block). I have a Powerlet on there, but you can do SAE. I use this socket for the air compressor, and the battery tender. Fused at 10A.

CROP_20181223_193507.thumb.jpg.8bb2c3c205d5b6da84a846fde1727ae0.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member

All these connections to your electrical system is exactly the path I found myself a little while back. I finally installed a FuzeBlock and moved many of the smaller accessories I had running to the battery into the FuzeBlock. That freed up the battery for just one pigtail, can be used for my air compressor, heated gear, or other large capacity device. (only one at a time though)

It cleans up your wiring, and makes things a bit safer too.

• 3 months later...
On 12/23/2018 at 3:55 PM, texscottyd said:

@fr8dog - Probably multiple ways to approach this, but an SAE pigtail under the rear seat section connected directly to the battery seems appropriate for this application.   As an added bonus, it also serves as the connection for a battery tender, and can plug into power other devices.   My setup is as @betoney described, except with the plug kept in the underseat tray instead of hanging out the bodywork.  

Nothing connected: 

02871E58-9AB6-498A-B473-C5849431A750.thumb.jpeg.700c9f4a759859a2a5b9c671cd4153aa.jpeg

Battery Tender connected:

7B5282F7-31FD-4476-883A-D3662F966BC5.thumb.jpeg.080e6dbce355dd26c4f7236a352123a6.jpeg

Connected to USB converter that runs hardwiring to power my iPhone (via 6 foot USB to Lightning cable)

CDA22305-DFBA-4D40-8221-2A0417041E45.thumb.jpeg.a0fbbc3f89ee5d3883166e407cbac9ea.jpeg

Simple & effective, and all the wiring stays nice and clean by being out of the elements.  It takes maybe 15 seconds total to change the plug connections, so I don’t find it at all inconvenient.  

Please send a link to the USB converter/connector you used here. I'd like to try the same setup. Thanks!

• Supporting Member

Hi @AA-RON - I found the SAE to USB power adapter in the sale bin at my local Cycle Gear...  it was about $10 as I recall.  

This unit on Amazon looks identical:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M7R8C2O

FYI: A six foot cable is perfect to get from the tool tray up to the handlebar, routed down the right side of the battery box, then crossing over & following the wiring harness up the left side of the bike, then under the left front of the tank and finishing trim.   I use a RokForm mount square between the handlebar risers, and with a right-angle Lightning connector, it’s a perfect fit for my iPhone X   

Thanks for the info @texscottyd Do you find that the USB cable and connector drain the battery when not in use?

Also - I'm looking into your mount suggestion. Do you happen to have the link handy to that purchase as well?

Thanks again!

• Supporting Member
On 4/10/2019 at 9:51 AM, AA-RON said:

Thanks for the info @texscottyd Do you find that the USB cable and connector drain the battery when not in use?

Also - I'm looking into your mount suggestion. Do you happen to have the link handy to that purchase as well?

Thanks again!

Sorry about the delayed response, @AA-RON...  I’ve been traveling with work and not keeping up on the forum.  

I always unplug the wiring from the USB converter and SAE pigtail when the bike is sitting, so I haven’t experienced any battery drain issues. As long as you don’t leave any electronic devices plugged in, I can’t imagine it would be a problem.  

For the mount, I HIGHLY recommend the RokForm handlebar mount and case.  Fair warning that isn’t cheap, but this is definitely one of those ‘you get what you pay for’ situations: 

334101P-Rokform-Motorcycle-HB-Mount-Hero
WWW.ROKFORM.COM

Product Description In The Box Video FAQ CNC machined 6061 T6 aircraft grade aluminum Dual retention...

-Scott

• Supporting Member

@AA-RON - I forgot to mention, but if it isn't obvious from the link, you will need to use a RokForm twist-lock phone case with that RokForm mount I shared...  it's a proprietary combination.  I have their Rugged Case for my iPhone X, and it works great.  I actually use the magnetic part of the case more than you might expect (to stick to the side of my toolbox while I'm in the shop, etc...).   I'm not big on endorsing products, but admit I'm a fan of the RokForm stuff.  

They used to sell a bundled mount and case at a slight discount, but I don't see that on their website currently.   If you choose to go that route, google 'RokForm Discount Code' and you should be able to dig up a 10 or 20 percent off deal. 

303701-Rokform-XS-X-Rugged-Black-Hero_24
WWW.ROKFORM.COM

Product Description In The Box Videos FAQ With a Rugged Case on your iPhone XS/X, you will rest easy knowing your phone will...