replacing grips on 900 gt

harraseeket

• Supporting Member

@harraseeket - Are you installing new heated grips or replacing existing heated grips?

The heating element is built into the oem heated grip and cannot be separated.  I was worried about this when I originally bought the heated grips, since on previous bikes (street and dirt) I replace the grips every few years but after 2 years mine aren't looking worn down at all.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, fjrpittsburgh said:

I put Grip Puppies over the original heated grips to give them a larger diameter.  Heat from the grips travels well through the Grip Puppies to the gloves just as I've experienced on other bikes with heated grips.

Ditto my experience with Grip Puppies.  However, on my Tracer GT I am thinking of going with Grip Buddies Smartskin Lite because they'll be easier to install and they are not as thick as the Grip Puppies, which on this bike I would prefer thinner puppies.

originalgripbuddies.com

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

glad i asked. i had assumed the elements were separate from the grips and luckily i didn't start hacking away ! i don't mind the grips that are stock, but i liked the grips i had on my last bike better. a little thicker , softer, vibe insulating. will definitely check out the grip puppies lite, they sound perfect, the regular ones looked too big and too soft. one benefit of the cruise control is that sometimes on longer rides i would just grab the mirror stalks for a change of position, though the vibration didn't bother me, no numbness, etc. .i know they narrowed the bars for the tracer over the mt 09, but i wouldn't have minded them taking another inch off each side. oddly they are the same width as my versys, but they feel wider.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, harraseeket said:

will definitely check out the grip puppies lite, they sound perfect, the regular ones looked too big and too soft.

My findings exactly, even though I usually wear an XL glove, I found the grip puppies too big in diameter. 

Though I will admit, my riding preference is more of a sport-type and I am very particular about bar bend, height, width etc as well as grip feel, lever position and angle.  I dont know that I have ever kept oem bars and levers on any bike.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, harraseeket said:

just checked online - the lite ones are grip buddies, not grip puppies, is that correct ? different company ?

I've only ever used the slightly thicker and original Grip Puppies, from the UK.   I have seen the non-Lite versions of Grip Buddies, inferior copies IMHO (too thin), but they may suit some.  GPs,  despite being a little thicker, are also very easy to install with a trick or two.   I'm waiting for my new ones to arrive, ordered Dec 12th, held-up no doubt by Christmas Mail, or reindeer. 

I have what would be regarded as small hands, and very much like the slightly thicker diameter that GPs give, plus the vibe cancelling, although this new bike of mine seems extremely smooth (after only 141km).

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Archived