Givi Spray Guard....any good?

bowlin01

5 hours ago, bowlin01 said:

Even after fitting an extended rear hugger I still get a lot of muck thrown up from the rear tyre. 

Has anyone tried/ fitted the Givi splash guard? Does it help or is the water thrown up from somewhere else?

Couple of things...

I looked at the Givi and thought it was a bit pricy for what it was. And a bit ugly!

I just installed a hugger I sourced on Ebay that I believe was made in China.  I costs $66 USD with free shipping. It appears to be well made and quite rugged. I've put about 100 miles on it, all in dry weather so I can't attest to how well it kills the slop. But, it does not adversely effect handling or bike performance in any way and its chain adjustor seems to work just fine on that side.

For some reason it was shipped with a KTM logo on the backplate instead of MT 09. But hey, KTM is a cool bike too!

I'll do a mini review when I get a chance to ride in the rain... which might be a while since a big snow event is forecast for NH this weekend :(!

Here are some pics of the thing: (I think it's wicked sexy!)

g2.thumb.JPG.57971e144986b63f574aa86cc94d2fa3.JPG

g1.JPG

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

10 hours ago, wordsmith said:

No diss, chris - but I think it's hideous!

Aw come on @wordsmith, all the really cool bikes have one...

bmw.gif

09.jpg

app.jpg

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

I have to agree, nhchris, and anyway what does my opinion count for - it's your bike!   And you are, as always, correct in saying that all the cool bikes have one: here's a pic from a little over two years ago of me picking up my brand-new BMW R1200 GS, mit rear spray deflector!   This bike, and the R1200 R Roadster that followed, was in BMW's so-called Racing Red (it does actually look kinda red in the pic), but in most lights it was closer to a KTM Orange!   Fabulous bikes, the GSs - one took me on a solo 14,701km trip around Oz many years ago, with not the slightest bit of trouble.   Fast, smooth, frugal, comfortable - but alas far too tall and heavy for me now in my close to 80-yo dotage!

attachment.php?attachmentid=59377&stc=1&d=1483166191

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Archived