The Tracer's first trip was a cold one!

psl

I've ridden since 2011, a BMW F800 and a Honda VFR1200F - both sold. Wanted and tested a VFR1200X (Crosstourer), but bought the Tracer on impulse instead.

I'm just back from a 2,5 hour first trip on my Tracer.
Covered 160 km (100 miles) in various speeds from 50 km/h (30 miles) to 130 km/h (80 miles) around Oslo.
Temperature 6C (42 F).
The Tracer performed very well. Vibrations are on par with BMW F800, it's nowhere close to the high speed stability of a bike like the 1200F (as expected :)).

Positive:
Great ergonomics, I'm 185 cm (6 feet 1) and had a very comfortable ride. Knee angle, distance to the bars, seat height - it's perfect!
Sufficient engine, remarkably smooth on low revs.
Very easy to ride, turn in and low speed balance is great.
Breaks are good. I'm satisfied with the rear brake as well, although I've heard others criticize it.
Loved the wide bars.
Standard seat is good and allows movement and change of position, but comfort seat is ordered and needed for touring.
Low consumption 5.1 liters /100 km (56 mpg)

Could be better:
Screen is not doing anything for me at speeds exceeding 90 km/h (55 miles). Although, way better than the Honda Crosstourer! Have bought the Ermax tall screen, not fitted it yet.
Heated grips performs well, although the right one is twice as warm as the left... Any idea why? A case for the vendor?
Vibrations are high frequent and plenty of in both pegs and bars. Puppy grips and touring pegs perhaps?
Hand guards are small considering the temperature/speed. Used the heated grips, but still lost the blood in 2-3 fingers on each hand.

The greatest applause today goes to my Schuberth C3 helmet which kept me warm and comfortable!

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww260/tigerdataPSL/Tracer%20031515%20cold.jpg

• Premium Member
Interesting what you say about the grips, with a difference in heat output. Yamaha Super Tenere owners report the very same thing and their grips are pretty much the same. I'll have a look on the Super Ten forum to see what transpired.

From: http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=1844.msg37689#msg37689
"The throttle side heating element sits on plastic which hold the heat better. The left side sits directly on the steel handlebar and you will lose some thermal btus'. Some have wrapped the left side with something to reduce some of the heat loss"

Seems a reasonable explanation as the plastic throttle sleeve will be a better insulator than a bare metal tube. I guess a layer of heat resistant tape like self amalgamating tape might provide a bit of insulation to equalise things, assuming the grips will go over the extra thickness.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I find both grips to heat evenly.   confused2_zpsv8dmakkf.gif The 10 settings available make it nice.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I wonder if it might be a good idea to lightly stuff a little fiberglass house wall insulation inside both bar ends before I install my heated grips (when they come)?   The cost is free, since I have a scrap or two of insulation laying around.  I can't imagine it would hurt anything.

Interesting what you say about the grips, with a difference in heat output. Yamaha Super Tenere owners report the very same thing and their grips are pretty much the same. I'll have a look on the Super Ten forum to see what transpired. 
"The throttle side heating element sits on plastic which hold the heat better. The left side sits directly on the steel handlebar and you will lose some thermal btus'. Some have wrapped the left side with something to reduce some of the heat loss"

Seems a reasonable explanation as the plastic throttle sleeve will be a better insulator than a bare metal tube. I guess a layer of heat resistant tape like self amalgamating tape might provide a bit of insulation to equalise things, assuming the grips will go over the extra thickness.
Very interesting Wessie. Will be a topic on first service! 

I wonder if it might be a good idea to lightly stuff a little fiberglass house wall insulation inside both bar ends before I install my heated grips (when they come)?   The cost is free, since I have a scrap or two of insulation laying around.  I can't imagine it would hurt anything.
A bit too creative to me ::) 

• Premium Member
By all means mention it to your dealer. They will say they will contact Yamaha and there will be a long silence. With the S10, Yamaha have never recognised it as a problem.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I have contacted my dealer with reference to the heated grip difference..  On 2 bars which are set to 5, the throttle grip burns my right hand so much so that I have to turn down to 1 bar, I did think same that right glove plan was thinner.. Would there be some sort of temperture cut off not working on this side.  Dealer has said will look into it and check on 600 mile service along with rumbling clutch in neutral with clutch disengaged..

• Premium Member
Rumbling clutch - all MT09s do this. It's quite common with many motorcycles, especially Ducatis with dry clutches.

Please report back after the 1st service about the differential heat on the grips.

A slight aside from the two bar heat setting burning hand, I found 1 bar is too low, so might just set 1 bar to maybe level 3 for now and see.
Adjusted my grips yesterday:

Level 1: 2 bars
Level 2: 4 bars
Level 3: 6 bars (to be used for camp barbecue only)

• 4 weeks later...

Very interesting Wessie. Will be a topic on first service!
Anyone already found something for "fixing" this issue...?

Looks like there is a 8 degrees Celsius difference between left and right heat grips...
Found this "evidence"..:
pchauf11.jpg
Removed the left grip and added some electrical tape on it first, first impression it looks like they are more equal warmed up now...Time will tell..... :)

Archived