A free fender-extender...

As a keen gardener - a pastime that can be as costly as motorcycling! - I often buy small plants in throwaway plastic containers or pots of varying sizes.   Gazing idly at one of these pots recently, it occurred that the circular and tapered shape might make a cheap fender-extender to minimise road-crap being thrown up onto the headers from the front wheel.

It was but a moment's work to shape the cut out piece of thin plastic to suit.   A piece of carbon-look vinyl sheet from my seemingly inexhaustible supply was stuck on top, the part secured to the inside of the fender with some close-fitting strips of strong double-sided tape - et violin, finished job! 

It looks OK, although time will tell if it works and stays in place.   If so, I may make another later using a slightly thicker material from a larger pot as a long-term approach.   The part extends the fender by 9cm/ 3.5".

P1050222.JPG

P1050223.JPG

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

13 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

As a keen gardener - a pastime that can be as costly as motorcycling! - I often buy small plants in throwaway plastic containers or pots of varying sizes.   Gazing idly at one of these pots recently, it occurred that the circular and tapered shape might make a cheap fender-extender to minimise road-crap being thrown up onto the headers from the front wheel.

It was but a moment's work to shape the cut out piece of thin plastic to suit.   A piece of carbon-look vinyl sheet from my seemingly inexhaustible supply was stuck on top, the part secured to the inside of the fender with some close-fitting strips of strong double-sided tape - et violin, finished job! 

It looks OK, although time will tell if it works and it stays in place.   If so, I may make another later using a slightly thicker material from a larger pot as a long-term approach.   The part extends the fender by 9cm/ 3.5".

P1050222.JPG

P1050223.JPG

Great job man! 

1 hour ago, nhchris said:

You never cease to amaze me @wordsmith.

cb

Thanks, cb - I sometimes amaze myself!   I hope/ intend to fabricate a belly-pan for the bike along the lines of the tasty ERMAX product.   My starting point will probably be a cornflakes box or some such thing!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Archived