Checkin' Out The FJ-09

Hey everybody.

Currently I own the FJ's big brother, the FJR. Been riding about 10 years now. Started out on a 1985 Nighthawk 650SC and then moved up to the 2002 Nighthawk 750. After an unfortunate trailering incident, I moved up to the FJR.

Last year, I talked a buddy of mine into getting a bike. He followed in my footsteps with the 650 Nighthawk. Now he's hooked. But it didn't take him long to be jealous of the sport tourer. He is a bit intimidated by the FJR, and rightfully so. It is a lot of bike for only a 2nd year rider and he's not a large person. But the FJ-09 came out and it looks to be the right compromise between size and sport tourer. He called me after he sat on one yesterday and it sounds like he's found his next bike.

He's got an account on here, but says he's not much of a forum person. Myself, I'm a member over at FJRForum.com and an admin at Nighthawk-Forums.com. Been attending and planning events the last 5 years for the forums. I have definitely seen the benefit from joining, and I hope this site is no different. But since I know we'll be working on his bike once we get it, I'd like to see what others are doing, maybe get some questions answered. And I'll get some writeups of things we're doing to his as well. I already know we're going to put a J&M CB on it.

Hit 48 degrees here in West Michigan the other day. HEAT WAVE! So I took a picture down by Lake Michigan. Here's my ride.
2015-03-11.jpg

• Premium Member
Welcome, former FJR owner myself. Loved the FJR, just hated the low speed heaviness. I do not tour much if at all, and only do local rides, so the F-Jay was perfect for me. For long distance touring, the FJR can't be beat IMO. I can rail on the F-Jay with the stock suspension, yes the stock suspension!! I put $1500 worth of suspension on my FJR to make it handle. The new owner of my FJR still sends my email telling me how much he loves the bike and it sounds like you do too.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Welcome, former FJR owner myself. Loved the FJR, just hated the low speed heaviness. I do not tour much if at all, and only do local rides, so the F-Jay was perfect for me. For long distance touring, the FJR can't be beat IMO. I can rail on the F-Jay with the stock suspension, yes the stock suspension!! I put $1500 worth of suspension on my FJR to make it handle. The new owner of my FJR still sends my email telling me how much he loves the bike and it sounds like you do too.
May or may not be able to tell, but my FJR is setup more for touring. Russel Day Long seat, cruise control, top box, V-Stream windshield, etc. I get aggressive every now and then, but I'm not one to try and drag pegs. If I do, it is completely unintentional. I'm 6'4, 270 lbs. When you're big, comfort is priority #1. I was also commuting a great deal (~100 miles a day) so that also steered the direction of how I setup the bike. But that's what I love about it. There are so many options to tweak it just how you want. 

I'm hoping Gary will have the same luck with his FJ-09. He's been taking most of his riding habits from me another guy who has a Sprint ST. We ride with the same mentality and Gary seems to be fitting in just fine with that. He'd like to add cruise control, but I'm concerned that the YCC-T won't allow us to do that like I did on my FJR. Looks like someone was going to attempt it, so I'll be keeping an eye out for that. The other thing on the wish list is to have both headlights illuminated at the same time. Really dislike the single light look, having everyone tell you that you have a bulb burned out. But with the LED headlights, that may not be possible either. 

Needless to say, I'll be watching this forum with great interest. 

• Premium Member
This is an easy one. Adjust the high beam the same height as the low beam and drive with the high beam on. No one will know. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest eatpasta
another FJR guy! I've lost count by now, but that' a lot - myself included!
I think that most of us in a perfect world would keep the FJR around to use it for long open road trips and two-up stuff but most of us dont have the means/garage space an the FJ seems to be able to do more.
In my perfect world I would keep my FJR as well because it's just a great bike but I am myself looking to offload my Gen II as well. Loving the pipes though @ulewz....

anyways - @designflaw06 welcome to the site!!

Welcome West Michigan from Upstate New York.
I was hot to get a FJR until I bought my 1989 FJ1200.
Now I'm thinking of buying the 100 pound lighter FJ-09.
Lighter is better.
I was stationed at Kincheloe AFB for three winters.
yamadog
XS650H
XVZ1200
FJ1200

Archived