Dalton highway tire choices

I have this thread :

but i wanted to start a new one specifically for tire choices for the bike.

Due to the 17inch rims, there are not many off road tire options for the FJ. I am looking to compare and take suggestions on what tire i can use on Dalton Highway, AK. I have very little dirt riding experience but can manage slow speed easily. The bike will be fully loaded as I plan to camp most of the way from CA to Prudhoe Bay and back. I am looking to change the tires at Fairbanks as suggested by folks on the other thread, to ride on Dalton Highway and back. I am planning to run Michelin Pilot Road 5s from CA - Fairbanks - CA. From various threads they seem to last long enough for the trip. (more about that towards the end)

From my understanding following are the tire options that I have:

1. Continental TKC80 - called the Fairbanks tire guy at http://www.advcycleworks.com/tires . He mentioned that the bike might not have enough clearance to run the tires on it. Has anyone mounted these tires? Did you have to modify the fenders front or back? 

2. Continental TKC70 - less knobbier than the TKC80s. Not sure if they will be up for the task on dalton (again - very little dirt experience). I called up the Whitehorse, YT, Canada tire place (i was planning to change tires there previously) and he was completely against anything non knobby like the TKC80 (he swore by TKC80s). Also, have heard these tires have wobble issue - anyone experienced that?

3. Shinko 705 - similar to TKC70 but i have heard good things about them. The tire shop at Fairbanks does not carry those so i might have to ship them there. I am ok with it as long as the tires are good.

My main question is which tire would be most suitable for the road? If not these, what other options do i have given the rim size? Also, about the Michelin Pilot Road 5s, the Fairbanks tire dude said something about the roads in Yukon being made from crushed marbles so normal street tires will get killed very quickly. Anyone has any experience with that? 

We (me and a buddy on his Tiger 800) leave for the trip end of June. Super excited and looking forward for the responses.

Edited by writetome
Added more information on the TKC70

Several people on this forum run TKC80s in the stock sizes without problems. I currently have a set waiting for me in Whitehorse, Yukon, that I will be installing in a few weeks to ride the Dempster. I'm leaving Wisconsin on Dunlop Roadsmart 3s on June 7th. 

Edited by kmev
  • Thumbsup 2

The problem is my fender sits a little close to the street tires at one point near the suspension (had a crash which bent the fender mounts a little). It doesn't touch the street tires but it can touch the TKC80s i feel. That leaves me with TKC70 or to cut the fender off in the problematic area (if the tire doesn't fit).

Just found out about Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR -  reviews seem good. Anyone has any experience with these? TKC70s seem to move around a lot in mud and it can rain almost anytime at Dalton :D

6 hours ago, writetome said:

The problem is my fender sits a little close to the street tires at one point near the suspension (had a crash which bent the fender mounts a little). It doesn't touch the street tires but it can touch the TKC80s i feel.

In that case, no one can give you an answer as to what tires will fit. My suggestion is to straighten the fender mount. A large adjustable wrench works great for straightening bent things. 

As for crushed marbles, the roads were rough on my tires and we did the most direct route Alcan, Dalton, etc. Ran PR4s on an FJR the entire trip as mentioned in your other thread, including the Dalton. They'd likely have made it there and back but ended up getting new tires when I got back to Washington anyway as the rear developed a leak I couldn't find with my small bottle of soap and looked like it had been beaten with barbed wire. 

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, kmev said:

In that case, no one can give you an answer as to what tires will fit.

I was mainly looking for tire suggestions. I am ok cutting the fender off a little to accommodate the tire.

2 hours ago, chitown said:

Ran PR4s on an FJR the entire trip as mentioned in your other thread, including the Dalton.

Oh damn! how did those street tires do on Dalton?

10 hours ago, writetome said:

I was mainly looking for tire suggestions. I am ok cutting the fender off a little to accommodate the tire.

Oh damn! how did those street tires do on Dalton?

Umm, they slid. A lot. Once or twice at the same time. But didn't drop it. Tires, luck, skill, good company, some of each?

They did great other than a few sections where it was total pucker. When sections with calcium chloride get wet they go from sort of a mud skating rink to mud/clay. One nasty construction zone of gravel so large that you could cruise over on the throttle... but then the pilot vehicle stops three times for turning haulers. Large uneven surfaces. Bike sinks/shifts, feet go out, they each sink/shift. Vstrom goes down. Looking in my mirror thinking there's no way I can safely get off and help. Maybe the guy in the car behind him will help? Nope. Drove around him lol. Rider eventually got going again. Good times :) 

hahaha sounds like the right amount of puckering fun.

Meanwhile, just talked to my local tire guy for the street tires. Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs are about 100 bucks cheaper than PR5s here in CA. I have decided to go with those for the paved section until Fairbanks and get the TKC80 for Dalton. If i have to, i will cut the front fender a little - will call it battle scar ;)

• Premium Member
On 5/22/2019 at 10:51 PM, writetome said:

hahaha sounds like the right amount of puckering fun.

Meanwhile, just talked to my local tire guy for the street tires. Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs are about 100 bucks cheaper than PR5s here in CA. I have decided to go with those for the paved section until Fairbanks and get the TKC80 for Dalton. If i have to, i will cut the front fender a little - will call it battle scar ;)

Another brand you might try is Heidenau. They ought to be just about perfect for the Dalton Dirtway. 

There is a tire mounting service on the outskirts of Fairbanks that you can co-ordinate with and schedule your tire swap.

K60's are really good - except on wet pavement.

I'd just get TKC 80's and rest assured they'll be up for whatever you come across.  TKC 70's would also probably suffice (I love 'em on my Versys), better on pavement and better durability there.  I'm really eager to hear how these bikes do with dual sport tires like these...