Lowering Dog Bones

Has anyone tried them and what recommendations do ya have?  Also,  How hard are they to install?

Just glancing at it,  it looks like a PIA to do.   The bolts and nuts seem Impossible to get a wrench or socket on!...

Thanks

Betoney,  Thanks for the comment,  I have a 2019 GT!  Would the same procedure be applicable?  Sounds like your old post was for a FJ 09  older model , with a different swingarm.  Has anyone here tackled the 19 yet?

• Supporting Member
24 minutes ago, bushman57 said:

Betoney,  Thanks for the comment,  I have a 2019 GT!  Would the same procedure be applicable?  Sounds like your old post was for a FJ 09  older model , with a different swingarm.  Has anyone here tackled the 19 yet?

@bushman57 - the procedure should be identical, the only difference in the swingarm between the 2 bikes is the overall length.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Normally I do my own work but decided I was going to let the bike shop do this one and they used the Yamaha link which isn't lowering it all that much. Actually, I added the comfort seat at the same time so can't even tell it's been lowered and still have to tippy toe.

• 1 month later...

The Yamaha lowering kit is very poor , just plain alloy bones with holes drilled at each end, and not very much lower.

I got LUST RACING ones C.N.C machined  stronger carbon steel and powder coated, plus 5mm lower than the

Yamaha ones. Brilliant............ but do cost more.

Edgar Jessop.

I was very seriously considering them when I first got my bike, glad I didn't.  I don't like messing with suspension geometry. And it seemed like a lot of work for an inch to half inch drop.

Seems pretty straight forward though. 

I agree with edgar,  if your going through the trouble,  I'd get some ones better than yamaha offers. 

Edit: it's not bad one you get used to it.  My tracer is quite taller than me.  I'm 5'5", 28 inch inseam.  That doesn't matter when your rolling though.  

Edited by Bimbim18

• 5 months later...

I have a 19 Tracer 900 and I installed the Yamaha OEM lowering “dog bones.” I found that despite only lowering the seat height by 9/16”, for me, the bike went from being a tipopotamus and too tall, to something I could manage. I do have a complaint however. I also lowered the front forks by the same amount and now my center stand is and to a smaller extent, the exhaust are being scraped because there is no longer enough ground clearance.

I just don’t understand why the seat height, on the lowest setting, is so damn tall. This isn’t an adventure bike. The rear subframe geometry should/could have have been designed to accommodate a lowered seat height without compromising ground clearance. For me, it is nearly a fatal flaw of an otherwise perfect bike. I’ve  been riding 35 years and I understand under perfect conditions I can keep the bike on the rubber, but I don’t live in a perfect world and I want to have complete control at all times.

Except for being way too tall, OEM mirrors that suck balls and a windscreen that blasts turbulent air directly at my helmet, I love my tracer but the excessive height is by far the most difficult/expensive/impossible problem to solve. I should have sprung for the Ninja 1000.

Edited by unspecific

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2019 at 5:17 AM, unspecific said:

I have a 19 Tracer 900 and I installed the Yamaha OEM lowering “dog bones.” I found that despite only lowering the seat height by 9/16”, for me, the bike went from being a tipopotamus and too tall, to something I could manage. I do have a complaint however. I also lowered the front forks by the same amount and now my center stand is and to a smaller extent, the exhaust are being scraped because there is no longer enough ground clearance.

I just don’t understand why the seat height, on the lowest setting, is so damn tall. This isn’t an adventure bike. The rear subframe geometry should/could have have been designed to accommodate a lowered seat height without compromising ground clearance. For me, it is nearly a fatal flaw of an otherwise perfect bike. I’ve  been riding 35 years and I understand under perfect conditions I can keep the bike on the rubber, but I don’t live in a perfect world and I want to have complete control at all times.

Except for being way too tall, OEM mirrors that suck balls and a windscreen that blasts turbulent air directly at my helmet, I love my tracer but the excessive height is by far the most difficult/expensive/impossible problem to solve. I should have sprung for the Ninja 1000.

The Ninja 1000 isn't without problems either. 2 fellas i know have had gearbox problems and reading the net they're not on their own. Just wondering how tall are you? Im thinking about getting the comfort seat to make my GT a little taller, I'm a little under 6ft 5 though. Because of that there's lots of bikes i will never own cause they feel too small. 

12 hours ago, Dave76 said:

The Ninja 1000 isn't without problems either. 2 fellas i know have had gearbox problems and reading the net they're not on their own. Just wondering how tall are you? Im thinking about getting the comfort seat to make my GT a little taller, I'm a little under 6ft 5 though. Because of that there's lots of bikes i will never own cause they feel too small. 

I’m 5’9” which is about average. After my first ride, I considered a comfort saddle, but after that, I never thought about it again. The OEM seat is really quite comfortable. I understand you are wanting something taller though. I’ve always been a fan of Seat Concepts stuff. They have a couple options for the Tracer that might help - 

19Tracer900frontrearweb_medium.png?v=156

Details:Don't let the painful factory stock seat wash away your smile and...