Has anyone tried any Shinko tires on their FJ's?

stumpy

I have been reading a lot of articles on tires lately because I am getting ready to replace my stockers that have just rolled 12,000kms.  

I am particularly interested in peoples experience with Shinko brand tires( already know about Michelins, Dunlops, Perellis ...etc.)  I have had an eye on the 016 Verge X2 tires and the 009 Ravens.  The price point is attractive for sure.  I am not a big rain rider or road racer but I do like to push it a little when the road gets twisty.  So far the stock D222's have been adequate for the most part but I have noticed what others have stated about traction when it gets colder out or wet.   

So I guess i'm looking for input on longevity, traction in wet, dry and cold or any other info you could share.  

• Premium Member

Not on my FJ yet, but I tried a Shinko 003 Stealth on my R1200GS a couple of years ago! 

Long story short: I suffered a damaged tire and could only find one tire in the region where I was traveling that would fit the rear of the GS.  The Stealth worked great.  I never noticed that I had anything unusual on the bike.  It handled well and lasted 4k miles including over 200 miles of gravel roads and a trip to South Dakota and back. 

Not bad for a tire marketed for "production racing, drag racing, or serious sport riding" on a fully loaded adventure bike.

I want to try a pair of Shinko 016 Verge x2 to see how long they last on the FJ.  But I have Dunlops on deck.

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, stumpy said:

I have been reading a lot of articles on tires lately because I am getting ready to replace my stockers that have just rolled 12,000kms.  

I am particularly interested in peoples experience with Shinko brand tires( already know about Michelins, Dunlops, Perellis ...etc.)  I have had an eye on the 016 Verge X2 tires and the 009 Ravens.  The price point is attractive for sure.  I am not a big rain rider or road racer but I do like to push it a little when the road gets twisty.  So far the stock D222's have been adequate for the most part but I have noticed what others have stated about traction when it gets colder out or wet.   

So I guess i'm looking for input on longevity, traction in wet, dry and cold or any other info you could share.  

I currently have Shinko Ravens on front and rear. I guess I'm pretty easy on tires. OEM lasted a good 15000 miles and changed out at 17000. No cords showing or anything like that. I found the stock tires sufficient. Not the best in rain, but I avoid that anyway.

Gave Shinko a shot. Currently at 9000 miles. Probably have another good 2000 or more left on them. Kind of the same feel as stock. Not that good in the rain. Good in cold weather. Great in the twisties. No issues at all riding spirited.

Not sure what I'll get next time. The price is right. I'll probably try a more popular brand next time. Curious about the feel and if they would last longer.

On 6/1/2019 at 9:09 PM, com3 said:

I've ridden the shit out of the 009 rear. 5 of em in all. I average about 4500 miles each. That's a lot for me. 

Do the sides or the center wear off first @com3?

'15 FJ09