3 hours ago, DavidS said:

It's possible that the installation of the Tail Tidy had nothing to do with the issue of not starting. I just don't know how to go about figuring it out. I did check all the fuze locations I could find (2 fuze boxes if I remember correctly), and even replaced each fuze with spares I carry to make sure they were all ok, but no luck.

I wonder if my testing the tail tidy by touching the wires together created a short, or some other situation which triggered the code 60 fault, and once that is cleared all will be good. (I'm hoping anyway)

No, it shouldn’t have. If the only things that you plugged into/cut connectors/wired into are the 2 rear turn signals, tail light, and license plate light wiring - then you shouldn’t have an issue. I’m also assuming that the wires are run correctly, not touching each other creating a short if a strand were to be exposed, etc.

if for some reason you pulled power/ground out of the white 4 pin connector that should be covered with a black plug, then that’s your problem. It is a diagnostic connector for connecting to the Yamaha software.

You CAN clear the code yourself. But as I mentioned, if it’s still ACTIVE and hasn’t been “repaired”, then you will not be able to clear it. 

The only fuse I’m concerned with is the one labeled ETV in this picture, which is a 7.5a fuse. That’s for the YCC-T (fly by wire) system and will cause a code 60 if blown. 

To rule out your recent work, disconnect everything you just installed and take it out of the equation. See if the bike will start, or if not - if the code 60 still appears. If no change is seen then it’s probably not related to your installs. 

Make sure the battery is well charged. All of this install work, plus attempting to start the bike - has probably run your battery down a bit. Make sure it’s got a minimum of 12.6-12.7 dcV measured across the battery terminals key off (Ideally 12.8 or better).

A23189DD-5AA2-4063-8F07-15EF97C84B83.jpeg

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I forgot about the fuzes in the front right near the radiator cap. One of those fuzes was blown. replaced it and the dash started working ok. I cleaned up the wires in the back, and now everything is working again. Rode it to work today and back, no issues. This weekend, I'll connect the wires from the tail tidy to my fuze block. Now it is just a straight run to a switched circuit on the block, rather than connecting to a bunch of other wires in a harness. The only light not working is the light over the license plate.

Simple is best, 

Still pissed that in all of Seattle I couldn't get any shop, dealer or private company to take a look at it. In the end, it saved me a bunch of money figuring it out myself, but really? I will be re-evaluating where I go next time I need tires, or other stuff. Got a few dealers/shops that are now on my black list. But I also learned I can do the troubleshooting myself with the help of a manual, the internet, and the kind folks on this forum.

Thanks All!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
49 minutes ago, DavidS said:

I forgot about the fuzes in the front right near the radiator cap. One of those fuzes was blown. replaced it and the dash started working ok. I cleaned up the wires in the back, and now everything is working again.

Glad everything is functioning properly now.  I wish that Yamaha had one location for fuses but yes, they are split into 2 locations that need to be checked.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Glad you figured it out and all is well again. 

Re those other shops - I’m not sure how much you told them over the phone, but sometimes less is more. Anotherwords a lot of shops feel reluctant to help a guy out who started a project on their own. Most will usually help if you just tell them over the phone that it won’t start and you have a troublecode on the dash. 

Or maybe I’m just being naive.... anywho, she’s a runner! And now wears some cool new mods!

-Skip