• Premium Member

I was replacing my stock tail tidy with the Yoshimura Fender Eliminator Kit, and when I turned the bike on to make sure the tail lights worked, I got a fault 60. I disconnected the battery (both terminals) when I did the work, and re-connected when the tidy was installed. 

The tail tidy looked great when I did my testing, but I must have done something when I was putting it all back together.

Anyone have any ideas? and a way to clear the fault code? or do I have to take it in to the dealer to fix? Any advice is appreciated

• Supporting Member

@DavidS - I was researching this on the FZ09 forum and everything related to code 60 was after replacing a battery,  they suggested looking for a blown fuse.   When you put the leads back on the battery did you attach positive first?

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

DavidS - what year is your bike? If it’s a 17 or later than you’ll need a dealer to clear the code, or an OBDII reader with the appropriate adapter. If it’s first Gen (15-16) then you can clear it once you have replaced the blown ETV 7.5 amp fuse located in the box near the battery and have successfully started the bike and moved the throttle to make sure the bike is accepting throttle input. 

Make sure the battery isn’t hooked up backwards. 

-Skip 

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

Betoney - I'll look for the fuze in the morning.

skipperT- mine is a 2015 model, I'll go look at the fuse near the battery and the battery is hooked up correct.

• Premium Member

fuze near battery is fine, I'm going to deal with this tomorrow. Frustrating though. Wish I knew what I did that caused it.

I'm wondering if the new tail tidy has anything to do with this. The only electrical was disconnecting and removing the old wiring from the  rear light, and installing and hooking up the new one.

I'm wondering if once the fault occurs, I'll need to take the bike somewhere to clear it. Or if there is some way I can clear the fault at home. Any ideas?

You should be able to clear the code yourself with a ‘15 model

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

There’s info in this area, or search for Diag. 

You can view codes on channel 60, they get cleared in channel 61 by cycling the off/run switch (rh switch, NOT the key) from on, to off.  The number displayed in channel 61 is how many different code occurrences you have that have been “repaired”. Channel 60 is the fault code number(s).

you won’t be able to clear the code until you’ve fixed the problem! Meaning the count in channel 61 may not change from 1 to 0 when you cycle the switch. If that’s the case, a code is still active. 

This info is also in the service manual.  

-Skip

Edited by skipperT

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:03 AM, skipperT said:

DavidS - what year is your bike? If it’s a 17 or later than you’ll need a dealer to clear the code, or an OBDII reader with the appropriate adapter. If it’s first Gen (15-16) then you can clear it once you have replaced the blown ETV 7.5 amp fuse located in the box near the battery and have successfully started the bike and moved the throttle to make sure the bike is accepting throttle input. 

Make sure the battery isn’t hooked up backwards. 

-Skip 

Mine blew the ETV fuse when I was reinstalling the battery which the dealer had screwed up when they prepped the bike.  The owners manual should show you where it is located.  Should be a 7.5 amp fuse.  If you have to, just start pulling fuses and inspecting them to see if you have one blown.  It is surprising the headache one blown fuse can create but it is an easy fix.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member

None of the fuzes are blown, but the dash still shows error code 60. I'm stumped. I even disconnected the battery for the night and that didn't have any impact. I'm hoping that just by clearing the code, all will be ok. I'm going to bring it into my local  service guy on Tuesday to see if he can clear the code for me. I don't see how I can do that myself.  Sucks because I have to rent a trailer to bring it to him.

I'll report back once I find out what it was.

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, DavidS said:

I'm going to bring it into my local  service guy on Tuesday to see if he can clear the code for me. I don't see how I can do that myself.  Sucks because I have to rent a trailer to bring it to him.

In addition to the fault code, does your bike not start?  If the bike runs but just has a fault code stored, you can still ride it to the dealer.

• Premium Member

No, bike doesn't start, figured it was due to the fault code, nothing else changed except removing my old blinkers and license plate/tail assembly and replacing it with the new tail tidy. (which was why I was working on the bike to begin with)

I rode the bike home from work on Friday and started installing the new tail tidy. Then everything started going bad....

• Supporting Member
24 minutes ago, DavidS said:

No, bike doesn't start, figured it was due to the fault code, nothing else changed except removing my old blinkers and license plate/tail assembly and replacing it with the new tail tidy. (which was why I was working on the bike to begin with)

I rode the bike home from work on Friday and started installing the new tail tidy. Then everything started going bad....

If the only thing you did was install rear lighting, then the only thing it can be is a blown fuse or a shorted wire. 

Correct me if I am wrong here but the rear signals and tail tidy has a total of 6 wires? pos and neg on both L and R signal as well as license plate light?  Are you sure all are connected correctly?  pos/pos and neg/neg

When you turn the key on, do the running lights come on? how about hazard lights/turn signals?  Just for a sanity check, I would check all fuses again, both front and rear fuse locations.

One other thought, in addition to the tail tidy, are the turn signals new as well?  Is it possible to disconnect all the new lights and try to start the bike? just to see if the new part is faulty.

• Premium Member

I rode the bike to work and back Friday and everything was fine. When I got home, I decided to install the new tail tidy before my scheduled ride on Saturday.

I removed the old tail tidy stock unit, including tail tidy and blinkers, and  installed the new tail tidy in its place, with no issues. When I touched the new positive and negative wires from the tail tidy to the existing wires that used to go to my old blinkers, I got positive confirmation that the new unit was working. I was a happy camper at that point. 

I started to make the electrical connections more secure by twisting the wires and covering them with electrical tape. Once done, I turned the key to start the bike and got a fault code 60, which is YCCT malfunction. I'm not sure how YCCT is related here, but that is the fault code I'm seeing on my screen.

The bike will crank, but not turn on.

Any ideas, advice and help is appreciated. 

• Premium Member

It's possible that the installation of the Tail Tidy had nothing to do with the issue of not starting. I just don't know how to go about figuring it out. I did check all the fuze locations I could find (2 fuze boxes if I remember correctly), and even replaced each fuze with spares I carry to make sure they were all ok, but no luck.

I wonder if my testing the tail tidy by touching the wires together created a short, or some other situation which triggered the code 60 fault, and once that is cleared all will be good. (I'm hoping anyway)