Route 70 in Kanagawa near Tokyo

Guest dmizer

Guest dmizer
I've had multiple day trips but this one stands out because I was looking for an interesting road near where I was staying while I was up there visiting my friend last week. See "1000 km in one day". I knew I was going to have the better part of one day for riding in the mountains between Tokyo and Mt. Fuji. Unfortunately, I didn't do as much riding as I would have liked due to bad weather. Just couldn't seem to get rid of the rain.

Anyway, my target was this lovely twisty road numbered route 70 in Kanagawa prefecture here: https://goo.gl/maps/Ltcfs

Here's the video with my running commentary, enjoy:

I started the video at the top of the pass and rode all the way to the bottom past a reservoirs. Really impressive scenery despite the limited visibility due to fog and rain.

• Premium Member
I love roads like that and I am fortunate to have many in the Cotswolds & Welsh Hills within easy range.

Your road surfaces look better than those in the UK though.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest dmizer
I love roads like that and I am fortunate to have many in the Cotswolds & Welsh Hills within easy range.  
Your road surfaces look better than those in the UK though.
In most places, that road was in unusually good condition. There was quite a lot of construction, so I suspect that much of the road had been damaged and recently repaired.

• 2 weeks later...
mcycleguy45 did you have the opportunity to do some motorcycling while you were here? 6 weeks is a long time to go without motorcycling in Japan.
Unfortunately I did not.  I was 15 yrs old when I went on a youth exchange trip.   I stayed with 3 different host families, really lived the culture and LOVED my time there.   I spent most of my time in Osaka, but also toured the Memorials in Hiroshima, Nagasaki and spent a few days in Tokyo as well. (that Bullet Train is a cool piece of tech!)  
I was fortunate and met some of the kindest and most beautiful people on this trip!

It was my first real trip outside Canada (other than visiting my Uncle in 'Merica) and a real insight for me into another culture.   It really opened my eyes to other peoples and the way they live in other places in the world.    

My wife and I had been thinking about a trip but now the youngest daughter is getting married.......that will eat up our travelling budget for a few years!!!   LOL

Guest dmizer
It's a great country, but like anywhere it does have both good and bad points. I've been here for 11 years now though, so it's safe to say that the good outweighs the bad. If you do come, drop me a line. I can get you set up with a motorcycle for a little touring in Japan.

Archived