Will shock absorbers increase carrying capacity?

goodhorsey

Question - I commute my kid to school, and lately, between the two of us, we are exceeding the 397lb weight limit, especially with my kid's school sh*t. So whenever we go over a pothole (pretty common in NYC), the bike knocks thru. Has anyone on here upgraded shocks to remedy this situation? Is it even fixable? Any input appreciated. Thanks!

You don't say how much you're exceeding it by. Up to a point spring upgrades alone can be the remedy. At a certain point the other internals may need to be upgraded as well.

I recommend calling a suspension shop. Be prepared to give them the weight of rider and passenger in gear and any cargo. They should be able to explain your options.

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, goodhorsey said:

We're exceeding by about 20  points, not a  problem on the straights, but def going over potholes.

Not sure what that statement means.

FWIW, the suspension as delivered is designed for an "average" rider weighing "around" 170-180#.  When you exceed that weight you will need to get springs with a higher spring rate and possibly re-worked shock internals as the oem shock doesn't have adjustment for compression damping (used to adjust how it reacts to bumps or potholes).

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Have you put your pre load to it's max?

That doesn't change the max carry weight but it helps control the extra load.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

12 hours ago, betoney said:

Not sure what that statement means.

FWIW, the suspension as delivered is designed for an "average" rider weighing "around" 170-180#.  When you exceed that weight you will need to get springs with a higher spring rate and possibly re-worked shock internals as the oem shock doesn't have adjustment for compression damping (used to adjust how it reacts to bumps or potholes).

Points = pounds

OP: Heavier springs will help you. Sorry I don't have recommendations for suspension shops in your area.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

'15 FJ09

13 hours ago, fddriver2 said:

Have you put your pre load to it's max?

That doesn't change the max carry weight but it helps control the extra load.

I have set the preload to its max, yes. We're over max weight by about 20-25 lbs. It isn't a problem on the highway, thankfully. As koth442 points out, I'll have to look at shock absorbers with compression damping. Cheers!

If anyone can recommend shocks that will increase the carrying capacity, that would be AWESOME. 

Edited by goodhorsey