Pannier Liner bags

CumuloNimbus

I test rode a GT model before I bought the two year old Tracer I eventually opted for. The only thing that put me off was the small standard panniers (well that and the £4000 price difference) At 22L I felt they didn't suit the type of touring I wanted to do.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I have used the city sidecases with and without the OP's "bags" 

With full disclosure of the fact that I don't camp off the bike.

The "bags" work as advertised. IMO they make it much easier to pack the city sidecases. And I have used separate stuff sacks in the cases.

I do not take the sidecases off the bike on a daily basis. And I'm not in them daily. They carry very basic maintenance items. Chain maintenance, a couple of tools for a very basic repair. A very tiny jump starter. Some extra cold/hot weather gear. (trip dependent)

I live out of a dry bag across the passenger seat. And the tank and tail bag.

I rinse out my base layer every night and will wear it over a couple to several days depending on conditions

I live in the USA and very many hotels and motels have guest laundry facilities. 

My trips are documented in ride reports. And I have spent 2+weeks on the road.

For the campers. Look at really good backpacking gear.

You should really take a good long look at what you are bringing and why.

YMMV 

20190917_100847.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Fddriver2, I like posts where the commentary is given context --- like yours.

My thread on converting the GT into a tourer capable of camping I think gives context to any questions I raise or opinions given.

We should remember that this thread started by the OP flagging up inexpensive pannier liners and the prime benefit of easily taking the contents someplace. I admit to having led the thread in a Volume direction !

I note your observation that the liner bags help packing the Side Opening panniers !

I am now happy that my GT can give me the option of the 22litre panniers for "hotel" trips and 30litre soft panniers for camping trips.

I already use unfitted, £3 off eBay, zipped bags to lift hotel kit out of the panniers ---- but am still interested in the benefits,? of fitted liners.

Ref lightweight backpacking/outdoor kit as a basis for camping kit selection - I support that but having spent a lot of time in that world, I enjoy the benefits of a motorcycle mule to carry a much larger tent and more cooking kit! My days of one pot for everything are long gone !

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

@flyfifer

I too have spent quite a bit of time on the trail. 😀 

About half the AT,  all of the Smokies Mountain National Park, all but a few miles of the Florida Trail and it's side trails, all of the Everglades National Park, (canoe & kayak)  most of the "fun" rivers in Florida, and too many side trips to remember. 

The only reason I bring up the backpacking gear is. I see bikes loaded down with what has to be 200lbs of just in case "stuff". The. I may one day need this crap.  That they never use and probably never will. Sort of like the first 50  miles of the AT. You could just outfit yourself on the gear left behind.

The Long Way Round and Long Way Down bikes are a perfect example of this. Those bikes weighed at least 1,000 lbs each and probably closer to 1,200lbs. It was a supported trip with a chase team FFS.

Everybody's comfort level is different. I get it. 😎

I stay in motels and hotels on the bike, eat at restaurants when traveling by bike. YMMV

😊

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

On 9/21/2019 at 9:35 PM, CumuloNimbus said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PANNIER-LINER-BAGS-FOR-YAMAHA-TRACER-900GT-TRACER-900GT-CITY-TRACER-900GT-2019/193081792951?hash=item2cf49259b7:g:X1wAAOSwFcJdb~Fo

Used these bags inside my GT panniers today.  Very pleased with them so far.  Seem well made, come flat as there are two main zips on each side.  There are some rubbery feet and an adjustable carrying strap.  There's a zipped document type pocket on one side and a similar folder pocket on the inside.  They fit well inside the pannier and go behind the X straps.

Good value for less that £30.

IMG_1359 copy.jpg

Thanks for posting the link. I ordered a set and they came today, very pleased with the design and quality.
Cheers CP