Chain "suddenly" loose

1moreroad

• Premium Member

Questions - why would chain slack loosen up to 2"+ in < 1000 miles? I can reset chain slack to 1", so is there anything else to worry about?

Got home from my commute (130 miles 90% straight line highway steady speed) and heard slappy chain noise at neighborhood street speeds for the 1st time. Put it on the center stand. The chain was very loose (didn't bother to measure but 2"+ by eyeball).

Chain is 9000 miles old. Replaced the OE chain at 11000 miles after finding 2 tight links. New tires (so last adjusted slack) 2000 miles ago. I set to 1" slack, check feel every 300 to 500 miles (each time I lube the chain). Actually measure every 1000 miles or so. In almost 20 years of riding, I can't remember a chain loosening up like this.

No play in the rear wheel. No play in the front socket. Sprockets aren't worn to replacement but close. May replace in next 1000 miles. Loosened axle nut and adjusted chain without a problem. Chain adjuster locknuts tight. Wheel alignment looks ok. Axle nut tight. With a couple of turns of the chain adjust bolts, chain slack is back to 1" in 3 places on the chain. No tight links.

When I first turned the wheel by hand after adjusting slack there was a loud ticking noise - sounded like something slapping plastic. Noise was coming from the wheel but I could feel it in the chain so maybe it was coming from the front sprocket? I spun it up in 1st with the clutch and didn't see any play. Now it sounds like normal chain ticking noise.

Haven't had a chance to ride since adjusting chain slack last night. Anything I should look or listen for? 

Thanks

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, koth442 said:

If the chain is too tight, it will stretch and loosen quickly.

1" slack on the centerstand. That seems to be the consensus on this site.

I scheduled motor service for Monday so they'll check, too.

• Thumbsup 1

17 hours ago, KANNON said:

Could be your new chain wore into your slightly worn sprockets

This. 

Plan on replacing both next time and you should be good for 20-30k km or so. 

The “noise” you’re hearing is probably the chain “settling” into the rear sprocket because things are worn to the point where they’re not lining up well anymore.  

-Skip