Upgrading 2015 FJ09 (Tracer) with 2019 FZ09 fork internals

rocha

Hello all

I have an opportunity to purchase the fork internals from a 2019 FZ09 for a very low price. I know this isn't ground breaking suspension but probably worthy as a cheap upgrade for my 2015 FJ09. Would anyone know whether this would be a straight swap? The travel is the same but done some work on the part numbers and many are different so I am really not sure. 

Any advice would be much appreciated

Cheers

Edited by rocha

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, rocha said:

Hello all

I have an opportunity to purchase the fork internals from a 2019 FZ09 for a very low price. I know this isn't ground breaking suspension but probably worthy as a cheap upgrade for my 2015 FJ09. Would anyone know whether this would be a straight swap? The travel is the same but done some work on the part numbers and many are different so I am really not sure. 

Any advice would be much appreciated

Cheers

I don't have any knowledge of the FZ/MT09 forks to say whether there is any difference worth the time and effort.

Once you commit to it though, you are going to want the specialty tools and knowledge to remove the cartridges, since the forks are 5 years old and everything is disassembled, you will want to change the seals and check the bushings, clean and change the fluid and install the correct springs for your weight.

Personally, if I was going to invest in the tools and take the time and effort to do this project, I would want to make sure it was a SIGNIFICANT improvement.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Cheap worthy upgrade would be a Stoltec fork kit- either in a DIY kit or pre-assembled swap of the cartridge cores... That would a night/day improvement... 

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, rocha said:

Thank you. Well I have bitten the bullet and bought the newer internals with an aim to also install the soltec kit, so double upgrade!

Does the '19 MT09 have separate adjustment on the fork legs? compression on one leg and rebound on the other?

My buddy did the Stoltec upgrade on his '15 FJ, it was a very nice upgrade.  👍

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member
On 11/12/2019 at 11:16 AM, betoney said:

Personally, if I was going to invest in the tools and take the time and effort to do this project, I would want to make sure it was a SIGNIFICANT improvement.

^^^^^ This

If it were me I would invest in the aftermarket options of your choice. K-Tech, Race Tech, Sol Tech, Olins, Andrini etc. YMMV

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

6 hours ago, fddriver2 said:

^^^^^ This

If it were me I would invest in the aftermarket options of your choice. K-Tech, Race Tech, Sol Tech, Olins, Andrini etc. YMMV

Yes, I understand but I found a set of GT cartridges locally for a low price WITH Ohlins springs. I believe if I can fit them, it would be a good upgrade to the stock 2015 forks for a lot less than the options you mention.

We'll see, it seems that I'll have to go searching...

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, lospsi said:

Yes, I understand but I found a set of GT cartridges locally for a low price WITH Ohlins springs. I believe if I can fit them, it would be a good upgrade to the stock 2015 forks for a lot less than the options you mention.

We'll see, it seems that I'll have to go searching...

I believe they should fit, I don't know of any dimension changes between models that would cause fitment problems.  Get the correct tools for the job and give it a go.  Having compression damping adjustability would be an improvement. Good Luck.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Dang, too bad, I was looking forward to your findings.

Thanks for the update!

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount