Pannier options in the UK market

• Premium Member
Hope you have better luck with the H&B stuff, Adie!

My Givi pannier rails have arrived. Stupid monkeys in the factory put the wrong length cross brace in the box. At least the retailer is already aware of the problem as it seems it was batch related not a one off and has been in touch with the factory. Place bets on how long it takes for an Italian factory and a retailer in Turin to get their act together...

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mine also- wished i had read this post BEFORE trying to fit them!
Have you been in contact with them Wessie? cant see them fixing this quickly as it took about a month before the 1st lot arrived.
Only option is to cut a section out and weld with a bar in it for now! be nice to get the actual correct length.

• Premium Member
Mine also- wished i had read this post BEFORE trying to fit them!Have you been in contact with them Wessie? cant see them fixing this quickly as it took about a month before the 1st lot arrived.
Only option is to cut a section out and weld with a bar in it for now! be nice to get the actual correct length.

I have been in touch by email.

this was the reply:

"Good morning,we know that in a lot of products with code PPLR2122 has been inserted a bracket incorrect;
unfortunately we are not being able to trace attendendone communications by customers;
we will immediately send you the correct part.
Sorry for the inconvenience,
we send our best regards
Sovente srl - Accessori Moto"
I think that means they are going to send a replacement part.

There was a lot of cussing in my garage as I dicked about with the kit, too.

Have you any confidence in those quick release fasteners not quick releasing on an autobahn? Seem a bit dodgy to me as they don't feel as if they lock in place and the tool they provide is flimsy. I would have preferred a permanently fixed system. I have some thinking time whilst waiting for the replacement part to arrive, and may even buy the H&B stuff. I'll wait for Andy to fix the kit to @adieefc's bike for her before finally deciding though, as that stuff is £600. 

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
@elaine had the correct part in the kit that @scuff fitted to her bike - her's is 24cm long, the one I have is 42cm (measure across the widest part of the U bend from eyelet to eyelet) so it seems that someone transposed the digits on the job card.

Very much agree Wessie, i dont like the `quick relaese` system either. I plan to put a nut and bolt through where you can padlock it and run a strap over the top of the bike probably behind the pillion- just in case! i would rather something a bit more confidence inspiring.
I think my bar across the back is only 75-100mm to long, 24cm seems quite short? i,m gonna see if the new one turns up in time but if not the angle grinder will be coming out!

• Premium Member
Mine also- wished i had read this post BEFORE trying to fit them! Have you been in contact with them Wessie? cant see them fixing this quickly as it took about a month before the 1st lot arrived.

I have been in touch by email. 
this was the reply:

"Good morning, 
we know that in a lot of products with code PPLR2122 has been inserted a bracket incorrect;

unfortunately we are not being able to trace attendendone communications by customers;

we will immediately send you the correct part.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

we send our best regards

Sovente srl - Accessori Moto
"
I think that means they are going to send a replacement part. 
There was a lot of cussing in my garage as I %$@#ed about with the kit, too.

Have you any confidence in those quick release fasteners not quick releasing on an autobahn? Seem a bit dodgy to me as they don't feel as if they lock in place and the tool they provide is flimsy. I would have preferred a permanently fixed system. I have some thinking time whilst waiting for the replacement part to arrive, and may even buy the H&B stuff. I'll wait for Andy to fix the kit to @adieefc's bike for her before finally deciding though, as that stuff is £600. 

Waiting to see the results of the H & B fitment, they look very good on the website...

• Premium Member
First you need to decide what boxes. Kappa & Givi will fit. Both make boxes in the monolock system and the monokey system. Your side rails are monokey so it makes sense to order a monokey base plate so you can swap a box from side case to topbox. You will need something around 45 litres to take a full size helmet. I can just get my helmet in a Kappa K40 but it is very tight and puts the lock under tension. I use a Givi E45 box on the top.

Monokey plates are M5 & M7. Monokey uses 3 latching points. The other one, monolock has 2 latching points.
M5 plate is what I use - has a silver, round metal logo - link 
M7 plate has a simpler Givi lettering logo - link 
There seems to be a more utilitarian M11 too - link 
I've seen a plain black plate with no logos but can't find a link. 

Monolock plates are M3, M35 & M6 or M6M (this one has a slot for a U shackle lock underneath which is neat and I wish was available in a Monokey plate)

• Premium Member
Has anyone seen the H & B Gobi panniers and top box in the flesh?
Not in the flesh but there are some videos on youtube. One chap was extolling the virtues of the water reservoir. Stupid idea. What's wrong with a bottle?  
They have a double skin, so the airgap can be used to store a fluid. The double skin makes them very wide for their interior dimensions. There are also some questions about the durability of the hinges, although some claim that has now been addressed. I'm wondering of the ones for sale really cheaply by Moto24 are the old type.

They were my no1 choice for a while but the youtube images and external dimensions put me off. Plastic trying to look metal looks naff IMV. 

• Premium Member
Has anyone seen the H & B Gobi panniers and top box in the flesh?
Not in the flesh but there are some videos on youtube. One chap was extolling the virtues of the water reservoir. Stupid idea. What's wrong with a bottle?  
They have a double skin, so the airgap can be used to store a fluid. The double skin makes them very wide for their interior dimensions. There are also some questions about the durability of the hinges, although some claim that has now been addressed. I'm wondering of the ones for sale really cheaply by Moto24 are the old type.

They were my no1 choice for a while but the youtube images and external dimensions put me off. Plastic trying to look metal looks naff IMV. 
Thanks, watched a video review of them mounted on a T Tiger (I'm so glad about the Tracer's low slung exhaust!). I agree that carrying water in the double skin would be stupid, but they do seem sturdy. And the faux aluminium finish is the reason why I asked if anyone had seen them in the flesh.

Thanks Wessie- i already have the cases which are monokey, i was hoping to use the plate off my Blackbird but it needs the newer M5 or M7.
The issue was that on going to buy either of these people were offering variants of these - ie one retailer said they did an F or FZ and they were different. the Givi website isnt giving much away either!
I will just get one ordered as the hole configuration looks about right, I can always make my old one fit for a short term fix if needed.

I have GIVI Trekker Outbacks on my Tiger 800.  Really like them.  Just noticed GIVI has come out with the racks
for these cases for the FJ-09 so I'll be selling the Tiger and getting the FJ-09 soon.  The 37 litre case is pretty roomy especially when using with a top case.  The 48 litre is pretty big but I don't notice it when riding.

Archived