Suspension upgrades options

I’m new to the FJ09 world and quickly found out about the lacking forks and shock. So I’m looking to rebuild/replace both. I would love to hear what others have done and what they liked and disliked about their mods. I don’t have an unlimited budget but I’m not afraid to pay for the right parts if needed. I’ll add that as an old road racer I do ride a “spirited pace” both while loaded and unloaded. 😊

Thanks,

Chad

So far I am good with the suspension on the 2019 GT.  It's adequate but not ideal by any means.  I may eventually have the forks and shock rebuilt.

However I could not say the same for my 2013 Ninja 1000.  The rear shock was horrible and the front end was not a heck of a lot better.  Talked to the folks at Traxxion Dynamics and they basically offered two options.  Rebuild the stock bits with new springs, valving and fluids as well as polishing the front forks which was the less expensive option, or do the AK-20 cartridges up front and a Penske triple adjuster in the rear which cost quite a bit more money.  I went with the cheaper option and the results were excellent.  You don't have to break the bank to get good results.

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Darkduc said:

I’m new to the FJ09 world and quickly found out about the lacking forks and shock. So I’m looking to rebuild/replace both. I would love to hear what others have done and what they liked and disliked about their mods. I don’t have an unlimited budget but I’m not afraid to pay for the right parts if needed. I’ll add that as an old road racer I do ride a “spirited pace” both while loaded and unloaded. 😊

Thanks,

Chad

There are a few options available for the FJ/Tracer, basically either re-valve the factory parts or replace the shock and fork cartridges. 

Many members here have used K-Tech with fantastic results -

We make your motorcycle go fast! Orient Express high performance...

For slightly less money you could get the Andreani fork cartridges

s-l400.jpg

Andreani have developed a sophisticated hydraulic system that ensures...

And then get the shock re-valved.  The shock is generally considered a sealed unit and "non-serviceable" but NorWest Suspension is rumored to be able to cut it open and perform surgery and you would still need the correct spring, however it might be more convenient and cost effective to buy an aftermarket shock which would also feature compression and ride height adjustment as well as being MUCH higher quality.

Many other brands to chose from with varying level of expense, as @johnmark101 mentioned, Traxxion Dynamics offers fantastic products but can be slightly more expensive than K-Tech. 

Traxxion Dynamics is proud to introduce the next revolution in motorcycle...

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Wish he was a sponsor, but Jamie at Daugherty Motorsports just did my forks with a revalve, springs, new bushings and seals and I couldn't be happier.  No more brake dive and no more "jittery" front end.  I think I paid $425, but I also popped for high end seals.  Pretty sure Jamie quoted me $335 for the revalve and springs, but I needed new bushings and seals (24k miles).  I too like to ride a bit aggressive but had no confidence in the front end.  Night and day difference.  The bike feels like it will handle anything I tell it to.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Welcome @Darkduc!  There are a ton of options & opinions on this subject, and it’s probably worth some time reading through the ‘FJ-09 Suspension’ discussion subtopic threads.

I’m also a recovering road racer, and found the stock suspension marginally adequate, at best.  I went the Ohlins YA535 & RaceTech route, and have been very happy with the results.  This is a bike where the difference between OEM and aftermarket suspension is so vast, it makes a transformational improvement in the handling dynamics of the bike.   Not a cheap upgrade, but still the best ‘bang for the buck’ you can make to an FJ.  

I wrote up a bit more of the details of my suspension choices here: 

• Thumbsup 2