Looking at a 2019 Tracer 900

Hi all, 

I've recently caught the Tracer bug and I'd really like to own this motorcycle but I need a little help to get me over the finish line. This is my first new bike purchase, before I had a Ninja 650 and a FZ-1000 both from Craigslist. So that means this is my first time going at a dealership alone. I'm not trying to get the best deal ever, I'd just like to make sure I'm not being a huge sucker. I went to a local dealer the other day and "managed" to get an OTD price of $10.4k. They told me this was a great deal, "triple net", and such, but I'm not sure if it really is. The listing was at $8,449. Sales tax is 8.1% here (AZ), so ~$700. That means I'm paying $1,200 in Fees/Registration. I'd like to know if this is a fair price or if I'm being too... stingy? 

Appreciate all the help  :)

My local dealers all have hold overs 2019 900s listed at 8.4k. Personally i would cross shop a few other dealerships and try to get 9-9.5k out the door.. The GT was the big seller in my neck of the woods, not the regular 900.

For a 2019 Tracer?  Not GT?  Seems a little high.

https://www.salestaxhandbook.com/arizona/sales-tax-vehicles

I couldn't find anything specific to motorcycle but its probably the same as cars, "vehicles".  If you have a trade in, take the trade in amount off before you figure sales tax.

Arizona collects a 6.6% state sales tax rate on the purchase of all vehicles. However, the total tax may be higher, depending on the county and city the vehicle is purchased in. County tax can be as high as 0.7% and city tax can be up to 2.5%.

Average DMV fees in Arizona on a new-car purchase add up to $532

The average doc fee in Arizona is $410

Every motorcycle store I have ever seen charged at least $100 for shipping/destination fee.  Its probably $250 now too.  Ask to see their numbers.  Take a calculator and notepad if you need.  If they got something fishy going on they probably wont let you see them.  Go to another store, DON'T tell them the OTD price this store gave you.  Let them give you a price and then counter offer if needed.  They say yes/no.  You go from there.

Edited by stoggy

Make them put it all on paper broken down by item. Usually there’s freight, setup and dealer fees in there. These are added profit for the dealer. “Dealer fees” can go from $99. to $999.  Paying $99 or $199 is almost bearable but more than that is a complete ripoff. Don’t be bashful about asking for more of a discount.  If they are unwilling to work with you just politely get up and leave.  Lots of Tracers out there and dealers want to move the ‘19s. 

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, buffaloWarrior said:

I went to a local dealer the other day and "managed" to get an OTD price of $10.4k. They told me this was a great deal, "triple net", and such, but I'm not sure if it really is. The listing was at $8,449. Sales tax is 8.1% here (AZ), so ~$700. That means I'm paying $1,200 in Fees/Registration. I'd like to know if this is a fair price or if I'm being too... stingy.

With modern vehicle purchases, you have the internet, knowledge is your friend.  Unless you want it today and the convenience of the first dealer you go to, you have the luxury of comparison shopping. 

When I look at Cycle Trader it shows all dealers in Arizona listing the Tracer for $8,500, while all of the Utah listings were $9,500 and some Southern states listing it for $7,500. - California prices were all over the place... but ya' know, California.

Several forum members here mentioned taking a road trip and buying out of state, then there is always the option of "fly-n-buy" or many dealers can arrange shipping.  I have bought a few dirt bikes from dealers in the Mid-West on Cycle Trader and the dealers had them shipped for about $500.

Every dealer listing on Cycle Trader has an email link to their sales department, tell them that you are ready to purchase and want an OTD price (they wont add TT+L because you will pay that when you register it in your state) if it's an out of state dealer, ask about shipping.  Cut and paste that to every dealers listing.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks for all the help guys. I've contacted some out of state dealers now and gotten some great quotes. I'm going to try and speak with a local dealership tomorrow and see if they want to get rid of the bike for $9k OTD. If not I'm going to place an order and arrange shipping. Now I'm a little hesitant about the thought of this and I was hoping you guys could help. I've had one dealer quote me around $8200 OTD and then I'd need to arrange shipping. He said this includes taxes and registration etc. so that all I would need to do is go down to the DMV and pickup my paperwork and I could ride off into the sunset. Does this sound about right? I didn't think they could do that since they were out of state.

So is it worth it to pay an extra $400 in state to avoid the hassle (and the wait!!!), and that's if I can get my local dealers to that $9k number, or is having a bike shipped not that big a deal? Again thanks for all the replies and help, I hope to be out there riding with y'all soon!

• Supporting Member
47 minutes ago, buffaloWarrior said:

I've had one dealer quote me around $8200 OTD and then I'd need to arrange shipping. He said this includes taxes and registration etc. so that all I would need to do is go down to the DMV and pickup my paperwork and I could ride off into the sunset. Does this sound about right? I didn't think they could do that since they were out of state.

I would contact them and verify that information.  If that is actually true, then that is a fantastic deal.  As far as shipping, I have never had to arrange it myself, the dealerships i bought the bikes from always took care of that for me.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I bought a 2019 tracer 900, yesterday.  In Illinois, $7708. Out the door.  I pay tax when I tag it. I am in okahoma.  Look on cycle trader. there are some really good deals, if you are willing to drive aways to get them. 

• Thumbsup 1

For many locations that is not a bad price at all. Pretty much the same price I paid for mine in Oct. You can probably still get them down a few hundred more...Good luck, you are going to love it!