Thinking of switching over

Hi, I currently ride a Ducati SuperSport S picked it up new in 2017 and am not very happy with the ownership experience. I'm thinking of trading in on a 2020 900gt. When I compair the two bikes they are pretty similar weight is the same, power is basically a wash, and they both have similar tech stuff. My main question is about servicing the 900gt. With my Ducati you can service it yourself however, there is no way to reset the service lights without taking it into the dealer (1.5hrs away) to pay 30$ and have them clear it. With the 900gt is this an issue? I've watched a bunch of videos and the bike seems pretty simple to work on yourself. I'm sure I'll come up with some other questions until then thanks! 

You can reset lights with a normal automotive ODB2 tool and an adapter (readily available on ebay).

Servicing the MTT09 is pretty trivial; there's a little more bodywork to remove than a MT09, but it's basically a naked bike.  More reliable, cheaper parts and usually service if you need to have something done. 

Not asked, but: The riding experience is going to be pretty drastically different.  While power delivery is not as different as compared to an I4 (the SuperSport is a VTwin, right?) you're still looking at much different ergonomics.  The Tracer seat is roughly an inch or two higher depending on it's setting, and the riding position is much more upright.  At rest, basically fully upright, though of course you can lean forward when desired and the stock seat on the Tracer does kind of encourage you to lean forward.  

Yeah I figured the riding would be different although I think the 900 is a few hp more than the Duc and a little lower in torque than the Duc. I mostly commute about 40miles each way on open highway. I live in Colorado near mountains so I do get into the Twisties. I'm 6'2" so I'm not worried about the height. 

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, prybra07 said:

I live in Colorado near mountains so I do get into the Twisties.

I went through the Grand Junction, Telluride, Durango area for the first time last Summer, beautiful scenery and amazing mountain riding.  I cant wait to go back and explore more.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

A have some riding buddies that own Ducati's and BMW's and they are always having to take them to the dealership for servicing. Some folks don't like working on their bikes, so I guess it isn't always a bad thing that  they take care of their customers that way. My experience after owning both an 2015 FJ09 and 2020 Tracer 900 GT, is they are super reliable, and almost all the maintenance is easily done by someone who is interested, and has a few hand tools.

I know I spend  $1000's less in maintenance and repair than my riding buddies, but if you just want someone to make it run good for you, that isn't a bad way to go. I prefer to work on my bike, but I recognize not everyone does.

• Thumbsup 1

Yeah I love to work on my own bike. With the Ducati you get an oil change service code pop up. You can do the oil change but you cannot clear that code without the Ducati computer software that the dealership has. My bike is only two and a half years old an each year it's been in the shop 3 times. Last year was a coolant leak that was luckily covered even though it was after the warranty. This year my rear brake went out and my fuel gauge went out... Both are known issues but not warrantied

I have worked on my yamahas, caused myself a few problems but other then that, as long as you >>follow the service manual<< you should be ok.  I know from experience, /bonk /bonk

You could probably find a good independent motorcycle mechanic in your area and ill bet he would work on a yamaha if you dont/cant do it.  Probably better then any dealer.  Not so sure about a duc though.  I know there are independent duc mechanics out there but Ducs suck, they always break because they are designed to break.

I own both a Yamaha and a Ducati. The Yamaha is stone reliable and pretty easy to work on.  Yamaha fuel gauge sending units don’t fail.  The fun factor in riding the FJ-09/Tracer GT is about the same as your bike both are really enjoyable even though the riding position is very different. Here’s what you won’t like about the Yamaha. Plan to have the ECU reflashed, fueling isn’t great and there are some limiters and quirks that need to be cleaned up.  The stock suspension is junk compared to your S. Plan on a shock and redoing the forks.  In all fairness to Yamaha the suspension could be described as typical budget Japanese certainly not premium components of an R1 or R6.  Lastly the brakes are adequate at best certainly not great or inspiring. Again not what your used to with your S. The Tracer/GT is a great bike, fun and reliable but just keep in mind that it’s built to a price point and compromises have been made to keep the price what it is.  

10 hours ago, donk said:

I own both a Yamaha and a Ducati. The Yamaha is stone reliable and pretty easy to work on.  Yamaha fuel gauge sending units don’t fail.  The fun factor in riding the FJ-09/Tracer GT is about the same as your bike both are really enjoyable even though the riding position is very different. Here’s what you won’t like about the Yamaha. Plan to have the ECU reflashed, fueling isn’t great and there are some limiters and quirks that need to be cleaned up.  The stock suspension is junk compared to your S. Plan on a shock and redoing the forks.  In all fairness to Yamaha the suspension could be described as typical budget Japanese certainly not premium components of an R1 or R6.  Lastly the brakes are adequate at best certainly not great or inspiring. Again not what your used to with your S. The Tracer/GT is a great bike, fun and reliable but just keep in mind that it’s built to a price point and compromises have been made to keep the price what it is.  

Have to agree that the Euro bikes often use better components for their brakes and suspensions.  I found the GT suspension to be good enough for it's intended purpose, although the front fork is a bit harsh over less than smooth roads. However I weigh 173 pounds in shorts and a tee shirt.  I think it might be compromised for anyone weighing much more that that.  A custom set up provided by someone like Traxxion may be in my future.  Upgrading the brakes with better pads, like the Vesrah RJL is a big improvement.    

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

One thing I forgot to mention.  If you get the GT you will love the cruise control. It is one of those features that once you have you never want to be without. Why Ducati didn’t put it on the Supersport baffles me.  I have it on my Multistrada so clearly Ducati knows how to do it.  In this day and age it’s a must have on any sport touring bike and it costs pennies for a manufacturer to build into a bike. 

Edited by Guest

23 hours ago, stoggy said:

I have worked on my yamahas, caused myself a few problems but other then that, as long as you >>follow the service manual<< you should be ok.  I know from experience, /bonk /bonk

You could probably find a good independent motorcycle mechanic in your area and ill bet he would work on a yamaha if you dont/cant do it.  Probably better then any dealer.  Not so sure about a duc though.  I know there are independent duc mechanics out there but Ducs suck, they always break because they are designed to break.

Owned any Ducatis?  I’ve over 100,000 trouble free miles on one of mine and have several friends with high mileage trouble free Ducatis as well.  They’re not for everyone but they are great bikes.  

Stoggy  you remind me of something Mark Twain once said, “ it is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.”  Just saying

On 3/8/2020 at 4:09 PM, DavidS said:

I know I spend  $1000's less in maintenance and repair than my riding buddies, but if you just want someone to make it run good for you, that isn't a bad way to go. I prefer to work on my bike, but I recognize not everyone does.

I'm 100% in the "work on your own machine" camp personally, but I find even if you're there, it's WAY nicer to have a machine that's more reliable.  I mean, I love working on my bike, but I'd far rather be doing random maintenance tasks or mods, vs. necessary repairs.  I like to work on my bike when I want to do it, not because it's broken down yet again.

That, incidentally, is what pushed me from a life of rebuilding 80's machines into buying new bikes.  I was able to keep those old bikes running, but got tired of having to keep them running :)

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1