Trying to decide between FJ or Hyperstrada

ctrlaltdl

Hello, I'm looking to add another bike to stable.  Currently have 2008 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 and a 2011 Husqvarna TCX-449 (street legal).  I've been riding dirt bikes, quads, and street bikes since before I could get a license, which was 25+ years ago.  I currently ride 250+ days a year (rain or shine) and have been doing that for a dozen years or so.

I'm actually looking for a bike that my wife can ride as well.  We had a 2009 Yamaha FZ6R that we regrettably sold, so we could buy a house.  It was a great bike for her, but she had troubles getting the R's up.  So now I'm looking for a bike with a bit more low end torque.  She had a 2007 883 Sportster for awhile and really enjoyed the motor in that bike, but hated everything else about it, especially the seat, bars, and suspension.

Took the Hyperstrada out for a test ride this weekend.  Really enjoyed it and I'm actually leaning toward purchasing the Ducati.  The sensible side of me says to get the Yamaha, but man that Ducati is sexy.

• Premium Member

This might help with your decision:
linky

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Just compare the service costs. If that doesn't turn you off, you're a Ducati man for sure.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Guest bmidd
Valve adjustments are due every 18,500 miles on the Hyper, not as bad as they used to be. Just get one with a warranty and sell it when the warranty is over. Seat height is essentially the same on both bikes so it just comes down to what you want to spend and what speaks more to you. Can't go wrong with either.

Hello, I'm looking to add another bike to stable.  Currently have 2008 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 and a 2011 Husqvarna TCX-449 (street legal).  I've been riding dirt bikes, quads, and street bikes since before I could get a license, which was 25+ years ago.  I currently ride 250+ days a year (rain or shine) and have been doing that for a dozen years or so. 
I'm actually looking for a bike that my wife can ride as well.  We had a 2009 Yamaha FZ6R that we regrettably sold, so we could buy a house.  It was a great bike for her, but she had troubles getting the R's up.  So now I'm looking for a bike with a bit more low end torque.  She had a 2007 883 Sportster for awhile and really enjoyed the motor in that bike, but hated everything else about it, especially the seat, bars, and suspension.

Took the Hyperstrada out for a test ride this weekend.  Really enjoyed it and I'm actually leaning toward purchasing the Ducati.  The sensible side of me says to get the Yamaha, but man that Ducati is sexy.

The Multistrada is on my list of bikes to own. And, Ducati service really isn't that bad. Again, I would skip the Warranty and find a good private Ducati mechanic to do the Valve checks for much cheaper than what a dealer would charge.

But, a Hyperstrada compared to an FJ-09? The Hyperstrada is more like an FZ-09. Fun bikes, but I wouldn't pay 14,000 for a bike that is limited to 140 miles on a tank of gas. That is what the $8,000 FZ-09 is for. It's a fun short trip kind of bike. The FJ-09 is a fun but go as far as you want kind of bike.

If you are gonna get a Ducati, get a panigale or a Multistrada.

• Premium Member
Valve adjustments are due every 18,500 miles on the Hyper, not as bad as they used to be.
I should have put the smiley on there, that was supposed to be a joke, although desmo adjustments do tend to be more expensive than something like shim-under-bucket.  On the other hand, there are a lot fewer of them to adjust on the Hyper.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
One thing that would be hard to beat so far as the Hyperstrada is concerned would be that pride-of-ownership thing relating to the Ducati brand: but I guess it largely depends on how much you value that!

L of S

• Premium Member
If you are gonna get a Ducati, get a panigale or a Multistrada.

or Diavel - don't see many in the UK but there are loads in France. Looks quite cool and for something that is advertised as a cruiser, goes around corners!

I couldn't have one as an only bike but if I won the £million on Premium Bonds I'd get one just to ride to a HD dealer, with a very obnoxious pipe fitted.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

:-S Everybody mentions about Ducati valve/shim adjustments when due & the like. But, nobody mentions about replacing the toothed belts at 20K kms or 2 years! Unless you are prepared to do it yourself, replacing these can be just as expensive than doing the shims!
Futhermore, the newer style Ducatis with the horizontal header pipe running in front of the belt covers requires a little more dismantling of items just to replace these belts.
Just search youtube of what happens when owners forget to replace belts....
(puke)
Just remember 1 small thing....Ducatis used to be mystical & mythical....now they are common as opinions.....
If you have to be different....it's already too late.....
if you decide on the FJ, people will ask you a million questions about it!
Good luck.
Cheers,
Steve

Yeah, no this isn't right. Starting 2014 they increased the maint interval on the hypermotard bikes. belt change at 18000 miles and they removed the monthly change interval tho for years most people have been changing at 4-5 years. Additionally valve check is at 18k miles with month interval also removed.

Don't let old wives tales about ducs scare you off. I've had seven and all for the most part completely trouble free.

new intervals  hypr_zpscyelgwhc.jpg

Chris

:-S Everybody mentions about Ducati valve/shim adjustments when due & the like. But, nobody mentions about replacing the toothed belts at 20K kms or 2 years! Unless you are prepared to do it yourself, replacing these can be just as expensive than doing the shims! Futhermore, the newer style Ducatis with the horizontal header pipe running in front of the belt covers requires a little more dismantling of items just to replace these belts.
.Cheers,
Steve

::) Sorry Chris,
I wouldn't be leaving the belts for 4-5 years. Any respectable dealer would discreetly advise to change them every 2. Even though you've bought a bike that "recommends" 18K miles.
Like a new style high maintenance wife, it's far easier to pay somebody else to do it.
So what's AUD$1200.00 a service? "I ride a Ducati!"
Cheers,
Steve

Guys, Ducatis are awesome bikes and as owner of this here website, I will tell ya that I love Ducati's. I know guys that have mega miles on their Ducati's and also know guys who do go 18000 miles between belt changes. My buddy in Portland took his bike in for his 18,000 service to his private mechanic and only paid $600 for his service and the valves didn't even need to be adjusted, they were in spec still.

But, this is the FJ-09 Forums. Anyone who comes here and asks which bikes is better, well, are you expecting a different answer from us? Go to the FZ-07 Forum, you'll get similar answers there and at any bike specific forum.

So, best of luck to you, take our answers for what they are and let us now if you get an FJ-09 or an FZ-09.

This might help with your decision:
linky

Thanks, I hadn't read that review yet. 
The comments about the clutch were spot on.  After I switched it to 'Sport' mode I stalled it taking off from the next stop light.  Not a huge surprise since it was a bike I wasn't used to.  The very next stop I didn't feel like I could slip the clutch at all.  It felt more like an on/off switch, so I was just trying to give it just enough to not stall it without giving it so much that it's going to wheelie.

Archived