Rode it home from Traxxion

Guest bmidd

Guest bmidd
Just arrived home from the shop and can give you a few pics and quick first impression. Every bit of the harshness is gone. The best way to describe it is that it feels the way a properly set up spoorts car rides, plush over bumps and irregularities and pretty responsive in the turns. I will be tweaking on it from time to time to get the feel how I want it. Martin said they increased the rake from 24° to 25° coming from the FZ to FJ-09, which causes a bit slower steering. Tonight after I get it cleaned up I will add a turn or two on the ride height adjustment on the Penske(1 full turn ==1.5mm increase/decrease) and see if I can get the ass up a bit and if that doesn't do enough then I will raise the forks 5-10mm. It is amazing how much two clicks on the compression reservoir makes. They set my sag and pretty much left all settings in the middle so I can tailor them to my riding style. 
I'll concentrate on the middle to exit of the corner turning first with the height adjustment before I start messing with preload too much, it feels really nice where it sits. 

The only negative thing I have to say is the way the reservoir is mounted, it just looks cheap and tacky, but that isn't really their fault. There truly isn't anywhere to mount this thing, the tail is different than the FZ and there just isn't any room to hide it. In the coming weeks I will work on a better mounting solution most likely near the passenger footpeg.

Please excuse the dirt, it was raining when I dropped it off and I need to clean it tonight before I go put some miles on it this week.

AK20%201_zps1icso3yz.jpg

AK20%202_zpsp7qvmkgk.jpg

AK20%203_zpspvp5ktkw.jpg

Penske_zpsvntchcri.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just arrived home from the shop and can give you a few pics and quick first impression. Every bit of the harshness is gone. The best way to describe it is that it feels the way a properly set up spoorts car rides, plush over bumps and irregularities and pretty responsive in the turns. I will be tweaking on it from time to time to get the feel how I want it. Martin said they increased the rake from 24° to 25° coming from the FZ to FJ-09, which causes a bit slower steering. Tonight after I get it cleaned up I will add a turn or two on the ride height adjustment on the Penske(1 full turn ==1.5mm increase/decrease) and see if I can get the ass up a bit and if that doesn't do enough then I will raise the forks 5-10mm. It is amazing how much two clicks on the compression reservoir makes. They set my sag and pretty much left all settings in the middle so I can tailor them to my riding style.  I'll concentrate on the middle to exit of the corner turning first with the height adjustment before I start messing with preload too much, it feels really nice where it sits. 

The only negative thing I have to say is the way the reservoir is mounted, it just looks cheap and tacky, but that isn't really their fault. There truly isn't anywhere to mount this thing, the tail is different than the FZ and there just isn't any room to hide it. In the coming weeks I will work on a better mounting solution most likely near the passenger footpeg.

Please excuse the dirt, it was raining when I dropped it off and I need to clean it tonight before I go put some miles on it this week.

AK20%201_zps1icso3yz.jpg

AK20%202_zpsp7qvmkgk.jpg

AK20%203_zpspvp5ktkw.jpg

Penske_zpsvntchcri.jpg

thanks for posting the review and pics! Congrats man, that is one fine suspension you have there!

I'm drooling. Now you have the perfect bike IMO. As mentioned, I had them do a complete fit front and rear a good ten years ago. I'd love to update and see how the AK20's ride. What all adjustments do you have front and rear?
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Guest bmidd
Front has Preload(black adjustments each side) Right fork (red roubound) Left fork (Silver is compression)

Rear has ride height adjustment, rebound, compression and preload.

Congrats on getting the bike back and a fine new suspension. There are ways to make that resi look better, paint the clamps black or find an aircraft mounting solution unsing velcro or HD zip ties. Traxxion does performance, not vehicle design and there is very little space down there.
I'm jealous. Ride and enjoy. I will be calling them for the same when they are not so slammed.

Guest bmidd
Thanks for being the first for Traxxion upgrades. Wonder if there would be possibility of a group buy?
Word is there is one coming.

• Premium Member
Thanks for being the first for Traxxion upgrades. Wonder if there would be possibility of a group buy?
Word is there is one coming.

I got a message from Traxxion about this yesterday. They said:

We just got to have our way with an FJ09 last week, so we have done our full r&d on it and are ready to go. Sport touring bikes are a huge part of what we do, we can make them both perform much better, and be very plush for the straight parts.

The biggest problem with the FJ09 is it has a single cartridge in one fork, and nothing in the left besides a spring, so the damping is very bad. Making the fork feel both mushy and harsh at the same time, because a single compression piston can’t flow enough oil. Our usual setup for that bike is our AK20 cartridge, which is a pair of cartridges with rebound and compression damping in each fork. The kit is $1299.95, and includes fork caps for preload rebound and compression damping adjustability.

http://www.traxxion.com/AK-20-Axxion-Cartridge-Kit/

We can revalve the stock cartridge, and install springs matched to your weight. It won’t ride as well as the AK20s, but it will be a big improvement over stock. We charge $600, including a full fork service, seals, bushings, springs, valves, etc all custom setup for your weight and riding style.

http://www.traxxion.com/Axxion-Compression-Valves/

We also have Penske shocks built to our specs:

http://www.traxxion.com/Penske-Sport-Shock-by-Traxxion-Dynamics-0/

http://www.traxxion.com/Penske-8983-Double-Adjustable-Shock-Remote-Reservoir-0/

We are currently offering 15% off to FJ09 forum members, parts and services.

I'm going to ride the FJ for a little while before I do anything, but it's good to know they've got my back once I decide to do something about it.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Guest bmidd
All I can say is if you haven't ridden a bike with something as awesome as the AK20's, you truly don't know what you are missing. The price is high, but the difference was apparent to me just riding out of the parking lot. I've done over 300 miles since Monday when I brought it home and I just can't gush enough about how good it feels and how well it performs. I hit the Skyway and Gap at least twice a month on the weekends, so if you are in that area of Eastern TN we can hook up and you can ride mine and see the difference. You won't be able to get your wallet out fast enough.
Before I bought the FJ, the only other bike I was considering was a 2012-13 MTS1200S with the electronic suspension and I can tell you the MTS doesn't compare as far as ride quality and compliance goes. The ESA is harsh to me and I would have had to go with a base suspension and go this same route. The MTS has a superior suspension stock to stock, but still would have had to be re-sprung for my weight. All in all, the FJ-09 with what I spent on the suspension is less than I would have spent on a 3 year old low mileage MTS1200S with no warranty. YMMV.

I can also justify the investment for quality suspension. I am not an occasional use rider and have now been spoiled with that planted control feeling, one trip to Arkansas or NC or (name your favorite twisty road) on a well set up bike you get it.
That's a big chunk of cash, spread over years of ownership on a bike you really like and it's not so bad. If you are a weekend warrior and don't ride much it may not make sense, nice to know Traxxion has options.
My season ends when it gets too hot, I'll be sending mine in around August.

Good info on the OEM config....thrifty to manufacture and cheap to sell. Expected on a 10K bike.

Guest bmidd
Another quick update after 250+ miles today on the Cherohala Skyway and the back roads along the Ocoee River and Hwy30 through Reliance and Greasy Creek, TN. The ssupension takes all you can give it and just giggles at you. Still very compliant and controlled up to what I would call a 7/10 pace today, kept it a little more under control because it was 42° a mile up and the tires weren't holding enough heat for me to take it much faster. I will be swapping the OEM tires for Q3's when I get the first service done in the next week or so and I will probably raise the rear end another 3mm and to help get it in the air a bit more, it's still a little lazy mid-corner to the exit when you open it back up, although that may be the stock tires more than anything. With the TCS off it's pretty easy to paint black marks coming out of corners under power.

Archived