Rode it home from Traxxion

Guest bmidd

Guest bmidd
Those roads are awesome, jealous. See if Lynns still has a good salad bar and cute staff. Enjoy the suspension, leave a darkie in my name.

I grew up in Dallas and I wouldn't dream of going back just because of the mountains here. We have beautiful challenging roads less than 10 miles from my front door. I like the Skyway because you can run 80+ for 40 miles and might see a Trooper once a season. Saw one today, he was only ticketing rich guys on BMW GS's! It takes me just over an hour to get to the head of the Skyway.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Question: Traxxion says in one of the above posts in this thread (on a link) that they offer the Penske 8900E series shock for this bike, yet they say it can't be mounted horizontally because the oil and nitrogen aren't separated by a piston. The FJ shock is mostly horizontal the way it sits in the bike. Any insight on this? I haven't called Traxxion yet.

• Premium Member
Hello bmidd - thanks for the write up on the Traxxion install. I definitely have them on my short list. Concerning the rear shock reservoir: if you weren't using your passenger footpegs, do you think the reservoir would mount there? I am not using the passenger pegs.

Btw, for anyone else reading this article. I talked to GP Suspension this morning and they told me I could get a custom length on the tube between the res and shock at the time of build - something to keep in mind when ordering.

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member
I ordered a Penske 8983 and the Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 cartridges this morning. Was told the Penske comes with the FZ-09 mounting bracket Traxxion designed, so I will be mounting mine where the passenger footpeg goes. Also, if you request the Eibach (sp?) shock instead of the standard Penske, you will get a red shock spring instead of dark blue. Something to know if you want your red FJ color coordinated. ;>)
I also got 15% off by mentioning the FJ forum and that deal runs through the end of June.

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

My plan is to ride the bike for a year or so before I upgrade suspension. There are several reasons for this. The first is that I have other bikes that I can ride if I am going to be on the track or in the dirt. The second is that suspension often takes a little bit of time to break in. The third is that I am somewhat frugal and figure I may as well wait until I would be servicing the forks anyway before making any changes. The final reason is that I figure the longer I wait the more options will be available.

Hello bmidd - thanks for the write up on the Traxxion install. I definitely have them on my short list. Concerning the rear shock reservoir: if you weren't using your passenger footpegs, do you think the reservoir would mount there? I am not using the passenger pegs. 
Btw, for anyone else reading this article. I talked to GP Suspension this morning and they told me I could get a custom length on the tube between the res and shock at the time of build - something to keep in mind when ordering.

Cheers
It would fit there. For now I'm leaving the pegs on there for the once a month ride the wife goes on.  After 2500 miles I've pretty much got it dialed in for my riding style. The only issue I have is when I get off the seat and get some weight off the rear end, the rebound is too high and I get a bit of kick back. I keep wanting to ride it like a SS bike and not an upright. I backed the rebound off a couple of clicks when I was at the Skyway and when I got home you could see the feathering of the tread on the outside of the tire from too little rebound. I added it back and will just try to keep my butt planted in the seat for now. 

I raised my forks about 7.5mm and added about 5mm height to the rear, helps it turn in a little better and there is less pushing when getting on the throttle mid corner. That also helped with the slight twitchiness from the front end. If I flash it and remove the speed limiter, I will get a GPR stabilizer. 

• Premium Member
So I got my Penske today and mounted it immediately. Haven't had time for a ride - was dark by the time I was finished.Not too happy with the length of the reservoir tube - had a hard time mounting it. Will get to work on a better, permanent solution very soon.It 'appears' safe where it is - over 3 inches of clearance to the swing arm and it doesn't intrude into the area any more than the passenger footpegs did.
http://s296.photobucket.com/user/daleh627/media/Penske%20mounted_zpsyslznsr9.jpg.html?filters[user]=143425774&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1
The zip tie was more for my fear than anything else.  The single hose clamp had a death grip on both rubber bushings.  Will contact Traxxion about the mounting bracket I was told I'd get, but couldn't find in the box.
http://s296.photobucket.com/user/daleh627/media/Pensky%20mounted%20looking%20down_zpsbxb9xy5h.jpg.html?filters[user]=143425774&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
I am think my boots and leathers will clear the reservoir and tube.  They did with just my Keens on. 
Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member
Took it out for a quick 200 mile spin around some local roads that have a good mix of every road surface. The Penske is a huge improvement!
Also the reservoir location is working out perfectly. Neither it, nor the hose touch anything.
So my list of fixes is getting smaller..
Just have to fix the windscreen, get the AK-20's installed and build some soft luggage racks. Oh, and wear those Roadsmart 2's out before September so I can leave for a 9 day ride with fresh rubber.
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member
... and build some soft luggage racks....
Do you need racks, or just something to keep the saddlebags away from back tire? 
I did simple aluminum L-brackets:

http://fj-09.org/post/15505/thread

I like your brackets!  And plan to make something similar, but a little more involved because I have removed the passenger foot pegs and need a way to strap down my tail pack.What I have envisioned will look more like a ladder with just two rungs laid on its side.  The lower leg will support the bag and be the full length to I can strap the bag to each end.  The top leg will be the same length as the plastic piece you removed with have holes for bungie hooks and slots for the tail packs straps.  Haven't decided on the material yet, but am probably going to use 1/2 x 1" rectangular extruded aluminum tubing.We have an end mill at work, so I can quickly and accurately machine all the joints, slots, etc.  Will post some pics when done. Cheers!

2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Had Catalyst Reaction in San Carlos, Ca install the AK-20's. They did a great job and were speedy (out and back in just over a week).
I am loving the AK-20's! The redone forks combined with the Penske 8983 (also sourced from Traxxion Dynamics) have transformed the suspension.
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• 2 weeks later...

Archived