Installing components offered on the GT onto the non-GT?

I found several non-GT models, but had my heart set on a GT.  The only used one I could find was 1500 miles away, and it became less economically feasible.   So I popped for a new one here in town.   Mine is 2020, but has matte black bags, not color matched. 

• Thumbsup 1

On 5/22/2020 at 4:41 PM, SKYFLIX said:

The dash is out as any sensible upgrade. It requires a different wiring harness and sensors. Way too expensive and time consuming to make it worth the effort. Pretty much everything else can be added as options, although they wouldn't all be factory options (cruise, for example).

Thanks!  This is hugely helpful and exactly what I was looking for.  I agree, needing a different wiring harness makes it a waste of time.  I can live without the color TFT dash, but didn't realize there was actually a different harness.  (Some bikes have a lot of modularity between models and an ECU reflash is all that's needed to access a feature.  Had hoped that was the case.)

On 5/23/2020 at 6:14 AM, stumpy said:

If it was me buying a new tracer it would be the non-GT model.  I would use the money saved for a good Givi top box and panniers, mc cruise, heated grips(integrated OEM) and some suspension goodies.  Quick shifter means nothing to me but being able to put a helmet in the side case means way more.

There has been some great deals on non-GT models lately 

Yeah, that's where I'm at.  I don't have to have all the features (like the color TFT, I can live without), and there are some smoking deals on non-GT's right now.  Would probably prefer aftermarket bags, too.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 4:50 PM, Wintersdark said:

Are you SURE it'd be cheaper to upgrade a non-GT than it would be to painted or have a GT vinyl wrapped?  I mean, if you got a *killer* deal on the non-GT, maybe, but if you took your panels/tank off (which isn't a particularly difficult job) you could have them vinyl wrapped for maybe $500.  

There's really not a lot of colored surfaces on the Tracer.  Hell, I got enough vinyl to wrap my whole bike for ~$120, though I ended up only doing the lower side panels and keeping the grey elsewhere.

On 5/23/2020 at 6:13 PM, betoney said:

The 2019 base model Tracers have been selling for $7 - $7.5k usd, brand new for several months.  I think the fully loaded GT stole some of the appeal of the standard Tracer, I was shocked when my local dealer dropped the price to $8,900 last year, a few weeks later it was $8500 and then $8200 and kept dropping.  It must have been a corporate price drop since cycle trader has many listings nationwide at that price.

If you didnt need the TFT display, you could outfit a base Tracer very nicely with the current price difference from the GT, - factory heated grips, quick shifter and larger FJR bags, MCCruise, Ohlins suspension and probably have money left over for quality tires.

On 5/23/2020 at 6:30 PM, Wintersdark said:

Fair enough.  I wasn't aware there was a non-gt price drop - at least when I bought mine, the price difference was about $2500cdn, which doesn't go very far.

Ah, so until I saw it in person, I didn't realize how easy it would be to pop the bodywork off and paint/wrap/etc.  Or how few panels there are to this. 

That said, yes there are some crazy good deals on non-GT models.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CJ3cyl said:

That's too bad about the TFT.  That's one thing I would have liked to upgrade. I bought the non-GT model because a leftover 2019 was $7,499 U.S..

But you know, functionality aside, I think auto/moto dash design is going the wrong direction with busy multi-color graphics, etc.  I'm surprised they aren't simpler and with a cleaner, analog look like aircraft instrumentation.  My 848 EVO has the old-school LCD and I think its easier to quickly see info you're looking for.  My '06 MTS 620 has an analog tach (with an actual needle and printed numbers - remember those?) and its the easiest for my eyes.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, azmotopilot said:

My '06 MTS 620 has an analog tach (with an actual needle and printed numbers - remember those?) and its the easiest for my eyes.

Agreed, I have no issues with the LCD on the standard Tracer and older FJ.  I also really like a sweep needle tachometer.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

31 minutes ago, azmotopilot said:

I think auto/moto dash design is going the wrong direction with busy multi-color graphics, etc.

Yup, I agree. I got caught up on the pretty TFT screen and kept saying that I had to have it. I gave up a few fairly good deals on '19 non-GTs because I wanted that stupid screen. I had only seen it in videos, but I had to have it. When I took delivery of the bike, I took one look at it and went "Oh, that's tiny, and VERY VERY busy". The standard screen is larger and just as easy to read, if not easier. One need not get upset about not having that screen. It's flash only. And that stupid control wheel is awful. It's honestly the only thing about the bike that I truly detest.

• Supporting Member

+1 for the FJR bags...I found a pair of them with brackets and liners for $500.  No aftermarket bracketry is nice.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

It was the standard 22L panniers that put me off the GT model when I changed last bikes last summer (well that and the price difference.) No regrets My 2nd hand tracer came with yamaha comfort seat and shad panniers  in a much more suitable size for my needs, and most of the aftermarket bits I have added to My bike I would have added to the GT model