Installing components offered on the GT onto the non-GT?

Whats involved in installing components offered on the GT onto the non-GT?

(I'm deciding between the Tracer 900 and GT. I love the color/livery of the non-GT, but don't like the color/livery of the 2020 GT.)

• TFT dash
    • Plug-and-play?
    • ECU flash to make it work with immobilizer?
  • Cruise control
    • Handlebar switches?
    • Plug-and-play?
    • ECU flash needed to unlock feature?
  • Quickshifter
    • Bolt-on?
    • Plug-and-play?
  • Forks
    • Bolt-on?
    • Same triple clamps, brake calipers, fork bottoms?
  • Shock
    • Bolt-on?
    • Same linkage?
  • Heated grips
    • Handlebar switches?
    • Plug-and-play?
  • Bags
    • May just run aftermarket ones -unless the factory ones really are waterproof?

(I know this isn't cost-effective, but I am an experienced, competent tech.)

I own a '06 Ducati Multistrada 620 (1st gen) and an '12 848 EVO. I'm selling them because the maintenance is becoming hard to get around to with a toddler and another child on the way. I need the Toyota-of-motorcycles if I'm serious about riding all-weather, all-season, all-the-time, everywhere, etc.

Thanks,
Aaron

Edited by azmotopilot
forgot to add one of the features - quickshifter

I know that yamaha sells the quick shifter, and the bags for the non gt that are the same as the gt. The only difference in the bags are the lids are matte instead of color matched. As for the suspension and electronic upgrades i dont know as i bought the gt.

If you can get the regular tracer at a good enough price then adding all the components (either factory or aftermarket) should get you under the cost of the gt.

When i bought my gt last spring the non-gt was 12.5k CAD at the dealer, the gt was 14.5k CAD. For the price difference the gt made more sense. Now that same non-gt at the dealer is down to 9.2k CAD, for that difference i would go with the non-gt  and upgrade with the components i want.

• Thumbsup 1

Thanks for the replies.  I'm less concerned with $$$ and more concerned with technical feasibility.  I've found a new non-GT that I'd like to buy.  I really want the GT, but don't like the color, and it would actually be more to change the bodywork (in # of pieces and cost).

The dash is out as any sensible upgrade. It requires a different wiring harness and sensors. Way too expensive and time consuming to make it worth the effort. Pretty much everything else can be added as options, although they wouldn't all be factory options (cruise, for example).

• Thumbsup 1

13 minutes ago, ChadTheFoxFox said:

Might be cheaper to just Buy a GT and have it painted mate. 

Ya, way cheaper just to buy the correct panels, wheels, whatever or have it painted. Unless you have a donor bike you are stealing from or got a regular tracer free.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
56 minutes ago, azmotopilot said:

Whats involved in installing components offered on the GT onto the non-GT?

(I'm deciding between the Tracer 900 and GT. I love the color/livery of the non-GT, but don't like the color/livery of the 2020 GT.)

• TFT dash
    • Plug-and-play?
    • ECU flash to make it work with immobilizer?
  • Cruise control
    • Handlebar switches?
    • Plug-and-play?
  • Quickshifter
    • Bolt-on?
    • Plug-and-play?
  • Forks
    • Bolt-on?
    • Same triple clamps, brake calipers, fork bottoms?
  • Shock
    • Bolt-on?
    • Same linkage?
  • Heated grips
    • Handlebar switches?
    • Plug-and-play?
  • Bags
    • May just run aftermarket ones -unless the factory ones really are waterproof?

(I know this isn't cost-effective, but I am an experienced, competent tech.)

I own a '06 Ducati Multistrada 620 (1st gen) and an '12 848 EVO. I'm selling them because the maintenance is becoming hard to get around to with a toddler and another child on the way. I need the Toyota-of-motorcycles if I'm serious about riding all-weather, all-season, all-the-time, everywhere, etc.

Thanks,
Aaron

You will be able to 'upgrade' everything to "GT-Spec" except for the TFT display.

Aftermarket cruise control can be purchased from MCCruise.  They are THE definitive source for aftermarket cruise control and their service and product is unparalleled.   I think anyone here who has purchased one will them an A+.

IMG_4404_medium.JPG?v=1563340041

Save your wrist, fuel and licence with McCruise

The heated grips and quick shifter are available as aftermarket or factory parts.  The suspension parts are interchangeable but if you are going to spend money on suspension, do yourself a favor and get a 'real' upgrade - NON OEM.

For bags, you can buy either the GT bags or oem bags for the FJR which have about 30% more capacity.  If you don't absolutely have to have oem bags then you can get something like Givi or Shad for half the price.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

The quickshifter is indeed bolt-on and plug'n'play; US$150 plus $15 for the postman, in stock.

• Thumbsup 2
TTR Ignition Systems - Teaching Old Bikes New Tricks
Shift Sensors - Quick Shift Controllers
Plug 'n' Play Quick Shifter Kits for FJ-09 US$150 + $15 shipping - In Stock
North American Distributor for Shifting ContRoll     Email

36 minutes ago, jdavis said:

If your bike is 15 model, ecu wont take the factory quickshifter, but aftermarket will cover it.

He mentioned finding a "new" non-GT.

• Thumbsup 1
TTR Ignition Systems - Teaching Old Bikes New Tricks
Shift Sensors - Quick Shift Controllers
Plug 'n' Play Quick Shifter Kits for FJ-09 US$150 + $15 shipping - In Stock
North American Distributor for Shifting ContRoll     Email

If it was me buying a new tracer it would be the non-GT model.  I would use the money saved for a good Givi top box and panniers, mc cruise, heated grips(integrated OEM) and some suspension goodies.  Quick shifter means nothing to me but being able to put a helmet in the side case means way more.

There has been some great deals on non-GT models lately 

• Thumbsup 1

Are you SURE it'd be cheaper to upgrade a non-GT than it would be to painted or have a GT vinyl wrapped?  I mean, if you got a *killer* deal on the non-GT, maybe, but if you took your panels/tank off (which isn't a particularly difficult job) you could have them vinyl wrapped for maybe $500.  

There's really not a lot of colored surfaces on the Tracer.  Hell, I got enough vinyl to wrap my whole bike for ~$120, though I ended up only doing the lower side panels and keeping the grey elsewhere.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

Are you SURE it'd be cheaper to upgrade a non-GT than it would be to painted or have a GT vinyl wrapped?  I mean, if you got a *killer* deal on the non-GT, maybe, but if you took your panels/tank off (which isn't a particularly difficult job) you could have them vinyl wrapped for maybe $500.  

There's really not a lot of colored surfaces on the Tracer.  Hell, I got enough vinyl to wrap my whole bike for ~$120, though I ended up only doing the lower side panels and keeping the grey elsewhere.

The 2019 base model Tracers have been selling for $7 - $7.5k usd, brand new for several months.  I think the fully loaded GT stole some of the appeal of the standard Tracer, I was shocked when my local dealer dropped the price to $8,900 last year, a few weeks later it was $8500 and then $8200 and kept dropping.  It must have been a corporate price drop since cycle trader has many listings nationwide at that price.

If you didnt need the TFT display, you could outfit a base Tracer very nicely with the current price difference from the GT, - factory heated grips, quick shifter and larger FJR bags, MCCruise, Ohlins suspension and probably have money left over for quality tires.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

14 minutes ago, betoney said:

The 2019 base model Tracers have been selling for $7 - $7.5k usd, brand new for several months.  I think the fully loaded GT stole some of the appeal of the standard Tracer, I was shocked when my local dealer dropped the price to $8,900 last year, a few weeks later it was $8500 and then $8200 and kept dropping.  It must have been a corporate price drop since cycle trader has many listings nationwide at that price.

If you didnt need the TFT display, you could outfit a base Tracer very nicely with the current price difference from the GT, - factory heated grips, quick shifter and larger FJR bags, MCCruise, Ohlins suspension and probably have money left over for quality tires.

Fair enough.  I wasn't aware there was a non-gt price drop - at least when I bought mine, the price difference was about $2500cdn, which doesn't go very far.