Yamaha touring windscreen

I really hated the stock screen. Then someone had a good deal on a scratched yamaha touring screen and I snatched it up. I put 100 freeway miles on it today (my typical commute) wow, so much better! Ino more buffeting not to load, I can hear everything. if I open the vent in the top of my helmet the wind goes right in there and is really load but I don't really use it much anyway. Really the best mod I could do, since that was my only real complaint about the bike.

For reference I'm about 5'9"  

• Thumbsup 2

My Tracer is on order, and should arrive in about a week. I'm 6'4" and have been eye-balling those larger screens. Seems it will be the first upgrade to make. I'm glad you enjoyed your new screen. Keep it rolling:-)

9 hours ago, Dutch said:

My Tracer is on order, and should arrive in about a week. I'm 6'4" and have been eye-balling those larger screens. Seems it will be the first upgrade to make. I'm glad you enjoyed your new screen. Keep it rolling:-)

You might want to search the forum about the other screens, you're a lot taller than me and I think it might put the wind right in your face. There was an aftermarket one that was a little bigger and more adjustable.  Good luck 

Btw you're going to love the bike I've had mine for about a month and it's great. 

On 6/20/2020 at 4:51 AM, Scoobydoo said:

I really hated the stock screen. Then someone had a good deal on a scratched yamaha touring screen and I snatched it up. I put 100 freeway miles on it today (my typical commute) wow, so much better! Ino more buffeting not to load, I can hear everything. if I open the vent in the top of my helmet the wind goes right in there and is really load but I don't really use it much anyway. Really the best mod I could do, since that was my only real complaint about the bike.

For reference I'm about 5'9"  

I had the genuine Yamaha Touring Screen fitted soon after I got the bike delivered. Improvement on the stock screen, some buffeting when following other vehicles, particularly large trucks etc but relatively quiet when riding through clean air (not behind another vehicle). Very happy with it.

Suu KYI IV Reduced.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

My experience was different.  I (5' 9") ordered my bike (2019 Yamaha Tracer 900) with Yamaha's touring screen and experienced a lot of noise and buffeting sound in my full face helmet.  My solution was a Madstad.

Edited by R.C.

4 hours ago, R.C. said:

My experience was different.  I (5' 9") ordered my bike (2019 Yamaha Tracer 900) with Yamaha's touring screen and experienced a lot of noise and buffeting sound in my full face helmet.  My solution was a Madstad.

The madstad looked like an excellent windscreen, lots of adjustability with that one. Sid it work well?

Yes.  The cause of buffeting/helmet noise (I’m convinced) is the vacuum created in the riders pocket by windscreens.  Madstad (and California Scientific) design their windshields to eliminate this by allowing air flow behind the screen. 

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
18 hours ago, R.C. said:

Yes.  The cause of buffeting/helmet noise (I’m convinced) is the vacuum created in the riders pocket by windscreens.  Madstad (and California Scientific) design their windshields to eliminate this by allowing air flow behind the screen. 

Agreed, several here have reported adding 1" stand-off spacers on the mount bolts to slightly move the screen forward.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 6/26/2020 at 3:06 PM, R.C. said:

I’m totally going to order one and will report how it works. I’m 6’1 but have a tall torso so will be going with the 26” screen. Their website also has measurement instructions so will double check there.

thanks for the tips everyone!!

Edited by Doehle