Loose windshield adjusters simple fix

The first time I played with my windshield adjustments I noticed they were "wiggeling" even if my knobs were fully tightened. No big deal but its little thing like that I find annoying ;)
I had some time to work on my FJ this morning and I found this simple fix...here is what I did:

First you need to remove the small phillips screw on the knob (use #2 phillips screwdriver)

Remove the knob but leave the sliding part on the bolt

Then cut a 3/8 pvc grommet in half

6fvLvEG.jpg
dvZ1kzs.jpg

Slide the grommet half on the bolt

bNQJxYB.jpg

Slide a #12 steel flat washer on the bolt

y13WvUS.jpg
f5tDgBO.jpg

Put the knob back on with the screw

Your Done!! 

• Premium Member
Nice mod. I added a bag tie around the inside of mine to tighten things up, but yours is far less ghetto (actually looks factory) than mine.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Great fix.  I lost the left side assembly and have it's replacement in hand.  I purchased parts from Bike Bandit, knob and screw in stock, 2 week b/o on shaft and bracket from Yamaha.  I was going to do basically the same thing only with a o-ring to stop the bolt from backing out due to the excess vibration.  The grommet, which I already have some in the parts bin, is a much better fix, because of surface area and texture.  Thanks for the great mod.

Steve
Steve

• 7 months later...
I noticed the rattle too, bugged the crap out of me. Was working on a fix but now I don't have too. Thanks!

Now has anyone figured out on how we get the bolt from coming loose all the time? Seems like I have to tighten it at every stoplight. Left one is worse than right.

• Premium Member
I don't adjust my screen now it is in a good position for all riding (Powerbronze with Puig spoiler). 

After my left adjuster knob went AWOL I replaced it with a bolt from the special tin and added a nyloc nut at the rear, as a temporary fix. It has remained in place and is flush to the surface, not looking out of place so I have not bothered to replace it. . If I should want to adjust it the allen key in the bike tool kit is the right size. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 5 months later...

Archived