Tightening the rear axle nut

Rear axle nut tightening  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use to tighten the rear axle nut?

• A torque wrench, using the value in the workshop manual.
    • A torque wrench, my own value.
    • By hand.

• Premium Member
On 6/27/2020 at 1:05 PM, BBB said:

Do you carry tools to adjust the chain @texscottyd

No, I've ridden the FJ across country 9 times since 8/2016. Shortest trip was 4K miles longest was 6200. I've never needed to adjust a chain while out and about. I'll wipe it down with kerosene every couple of days or after riding for a while in the rain. Then lube it with gear oil.

• Thumbsup 1

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member

I carry a Craftsman 12-point box/open end 27 mm wrench or 14" breaker bar and 27 mm socket when on "tour" along with a Chain Monkey and Motul Chain Paste (even though I have a chain oiler).  I have the Chinese knock-offs of the Lightech chain adjusters that are actually very nice and make adjustment extremely easy (and sometimes also bring along a very accurate Harbor Freight 6" steel digital veneer caliper for extremely accurate side to side settings; overkill I know).  Yes the wrench and/or breaker bar are long and weighty but they easily fit in my SH36 panniers along with the electric tire pump, Dynaplug plug tool, Antigravity Batteries lithium jump starter, among other tools, kit and bits.  I split everything between the panniers and/or SH46 top case.  The big wrench or more so the bar & socket make loosening and tightening the axle nut easy, and make one heck of a club or tent stake hammer if needed.