• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

New to me 2019 :)

• Supporting Member
47 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

The inside nut sets how tight the mirror is for rotation, but does not affect actually loosening the mirror in regards to removing it.  What happens is if this nut is too lose, no matter how much you tighten the lower nut, the mirror can rotate around that stem.  It'll not unscrew, of course - it's not threaded between the bottom of the stem and the bolt itself.  

What can happen (and I've had this issue with the right hand mirror on my MT07, and the left hand mirror on my MTT09) is that that particular nut isn't tightened enough on initial construction, so no matter how much you tighten the lower nut, as soon as you're going fast and wind pressure increases, the mirror starts rotating inwards. 

Typically, this is a "set it once and it's good forever" deal.

Up until a few months ago I never even knew there was a interior nut to tighten, - on any bike, until reading a post on this forum.  I have never had the base part swivel loose, I always have the upper mirror part move back slightly at higher speeds.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

3 hours ago, betoney said:

Up until a few months ago I never even knew there was a interior nut to tighten, - on any bike, until reading a post on this forum.  I have never had the base part swivel loose, I always have the upper mirror part move back slightly at higher speeds.

I regularly run my bikes flat out, and having them rotate when you really get on it is infuriating, so once I get my mirrors where I like them, I *crank* that nut down, and they never move again.  It's kind of challenging to do, though, as it's REALLY easy to have the mirror rotate while you're tightening it - in practice, it's best to pull the upper part in about an eighth of a turn, then allow it to rotate back out that eighth of a turn when you tighten it (keeping in mind that the right mirror is reverse threaded, so mirror towards you is loose, mirror away is tight).  

Once you do that, it won't rotate in again.  Mine are nice and solid now, even with extended periods at 130+mph.

• Thumbsup 2

3 hours ago, iitywygms said:

Thats what up with my mirrors.  Think I will pull the nut off, put in a star washer then put the nut back on with some loctite.

You might not be able to get the nut off, or at least not easily; it doesn't really work that way.  The "bolt" itself is just a threaded rod, with the large locknut (that tightens the mirror onto the bike) and the top enclosed nut.  Mine - on my Tracer, and on the MT07 - both had kind of a center punch on the top of the threaded rod, expanding it outwards and preventing the nut from backing off.  If you try and loosen it through that expansion, what's more likely to happen is that the threaded rod will turn along with the nut.  This doesn't happen when you're tightening because of course the large nut is acting as a locknut against the mirror mount.

Really, though, just grinding down a socket and tightening that nut a little bit will lock that mirror down great.  Just be sure you get it where you want it.

And try not to do what I did and lose that plastic cover 😫

• Thumbsup 1

Sounds like the mirrors are a common issue but fairly simple to resolve.  I saw one post where he drilled it out and put a pin in it.  Sort of like a cotter key.  This is my current solution.  Wire ties to the rescue!

20200704_082959.jpg

Edited by iitywygms
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, iitywygms said:

Sounds like the mirrors are a common issue but fairly simple to resolve.  I saw one post where he drilled it out and put a pin in it.  Sort of like a cotter key.  This is my current solution.  Wire ties to the rescue!

20200704_082959.jpg

Oh my, that's really janky!  That nut right there, the one that's visible on top?  You just tighten that a teeny bit and your mirror won't rotate in anymore.  It's really not that tough to grind down a socket to get in there; a drill and some sandpaper or a file make short work of it if you don't have bigger power tools.

46 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Oh my, that's really janky!  That nut right there, the one that's visible on top?  You just tighten that a teeny bit and your mirror won't rotate in anymore.  It's really not that tough to grind down a socket to get in there; a drill and some sandpaper or a file make short work of it if you don't have bigger power tools.

Lol!  I know.  But I dont have access to the proper equipment right now.  Monday it shall be correct.  Put an additional 200 miles on her today.  Lots of twisties.  One thing I noticed with this beast compared to what I had before this.  (ninja 650)  I have to hang on tight when going through the gears.  The upright position is something to get use to.  First through fourth on this bike requires me to hang on tight lol.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, iitywygms said:

Lol!  I know.  But I dont have access to the proper equipment right now.  Monday it shall be correct.  Put an additional 200 miles on her today.  Lots of twisties.  One thing I noticed with this beast compared to what I had before this.  (ninja 650)  I have to hang on tight when going through the gears.  The upright position is something to get use to.  First through fourth on this bike requires me to hang on tight lol.

That's why this bike is so popular.........

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, iitywygms said:

And fourth can take you to around 110mph, so.... Yeah ;)

I can't wait for my 47 (+2 on the rear) sprocket to arrive.  I want more of that hold-on-for-dear-life rush ;)

• Supporting Member
45 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I can't wait for my 47 (+2 on the rear) sprocket to arrive.  I want more of that hold-on-for-dear-life rush ;)

I have the same 16/47 gearing, I feel it spaces out the gears nicely.  You can still pull a long time in each gear and still comfortably pull 80mph in 3rd.  To me, the engine feels more comfortable at or above 5k rpm (regardless of the gear or speed I am traveling) and even on the highway I don't use 6th until above 70mph, usually 75mph.  The +2 rear sprocket makes the gear spacing easier to achieve that.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 7/4/2020 at 11:13 PM, betoney said:

I have the same 16/47 gearing, I feel it spaces out the gears nicely.  You can still pull a long time in each gear and still comfortably pull 80mph in 3rd.  To me, the engine feels more comfortable at or above 5k rpm (regardless of the gear or speed I am traveling) and even on the highway I don't use 6th until above 70mph, usually 75mph.  The +2 rear sprocket makes the gear spacing easier to achieve that.

Yeah, this is what I'm hoping for.  I prefer running the RPM's higher, as I find at 3-4k the engine is just... Unhappy.  I've assumed it's just mine - it certainly seems fine elsewhere, but it doesn't run terribly smoothly there.  Not in a "you have a serious tuning problem" sort of way, not surging, missing, or jerking, but just... Not as nice as when it's running faster.