In need of some advice on footpegs

Michiel900GT

Fellow Forum members,

I really could use some help with making choices for my bike.

I struggle a lot with my Tracer 900 GT when it comes to cornering behavior. I’m going trough corners like a beginner on my bike......I either go too slow (just to be on the safe side) or I make 5 corners out of 1 corner. And it all has to do with trusting the bike. 

When I was driving a Tiger 900 GT Pro a couple of weeks ago I noticed that I felt much more confident going trough corners at a somewhat higher speed. I’m sure it has to do with wheelbase, trail and caster angle (which of course differs from the Tracer) that make the Tiger more “suited” for my cornering technique and feelings. So I’ve been looking for bikes that have kind of the same characteristics as a Tiger and might be a suitable replacement for my Tracer. 

But in all honesty, I do not wish to part with my Tracer. And all professional reviews of the Tracer are praising the way the bike handles. So something has got to change (partly on my bike, mostly on me). Now, changing me and my driving technique is something I will do myself of course.

But for changing the bike I need some advice.

I used to drive my Tracer with the seat in the upper position. Being 6.1” with rather long legs, I found that to be the best riding position for longer trips with respect to my knees. However, I had my seat adjusted by a professional upholstery service and although overall it was a great improvement it also resulted in the seat being a few centimeter higher. Last weekend, I was struggling again with the bike and decided to see what would happen if I would put the seat in the lower position. It felt like a improvement, especially in cornering. But now my knees are more angled. So I am considering lowering the footpegs. 

And there the call for advice comes in. I’m considering the following options:

1. MFW Super Grip Vario Multi (20-35mm)
  2. Knight Design 1” sidetrax pegs
  3. Knight Design 1” rubber tread pegs
  4. Knight Design 1.5” sidetrax pegs

The issue with MFW is that it results in the feet needing to be positioned more inwards (at a larger angle) to be able to get your feet at the brake / gear lever. With Knight Design that is also the case but less of an issue as they are somewhat smaller.

The Knight Design has two challenges: will the MT-10 pegs fit a Tracer 900 GT and will the 1.5” pegs become too low?

I’m definitely not the kind of driver that goes through corners at an 45 degree angle, so ground clearance might to be to big of a problem (although....when i find my confidence on the Tracer....who knows 🙂

Any advice / sharing experience is very much appreciated!

Oh, and I’m also upgrading my suspension btw. That might help as well.

(I have hijacked 2 other threads with these questions, but I thought it would be better to explain the background in a separate thread)

Edited by Michiel900GT
Typo

• Supporting Member
57 minutes ago, Michiel900GT said:

Fellow Forum members,

I really could use some help with making choices for my bike.

I struggle a lot with my Tracer 900 GT when it comes to cornering behavior. I’m going trough corners like a beginner on my bike......I either go too slow (just to be on the safe side) or I make 5 corners out of 1 corner. And it all has to do with trusting the bike.

Any advice / sharing experience is very much appreciated!

Oh, and I’m also upgrading my suspension btw. That might help as well.

Suspension will give you massive cornering confidence, knowing how capable the bike can be and how aggressive the bike can be ridden actually allows me to ride faster through the corners as the bike is always in control and I trust the front end to no end.  

When people say that "a suspension upgrade completely transformed the bike", that isn't an exaggeration.  You will be more relaxed and confident and able to hold a smooth line through corners without wallowing and ride safer as suspension directly affects braking and acceleration keeping traction to the ground.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I had that experience with a Diversion 900 S years ago. I literally checked if if was riding my own bike after I had the suspension upgraded with WP front suspension.

Still, anyone out there who has experience with Knight Design or MFW footpegs?

• Thumbsup 1

Following this thread with interest.....done 1,400km todate, kneee is giving me a slight pain after each ride, need to stretch legs occasionally,  my rubber footpeg arrived yest. and  found need to drill to remove the nut/screw to be able to install. not sure if i want to do that or with rubber footpeg does indeed make a difference or wait till my bike run-in maturely !

6 hours ago, bobbar said:

I installed the KD sidetrax on my tracer and that 1" lower has improved my comfort quite a bit.  I didnt know that they had 1 1/2" lower ones.  I have 36" inseam.

Which type (for what bike) did you order? KD doesn't seem to have specific Tracer pegs.

The ones I got were listed for Yamaha FZ-09, 2017, sidetrax silver, 1" drop.  For some reason Yamaha riveted the left peg pivot pin on.  I used a drill to cut head of the rivet off.  Very simple.  I think the instructions from knight mentioned how to do it.  New pins are included w pegs.  Btw, my tracer gt is a 2020.

1 hour ago, northsouth said:

I have a brand new pair of Knight Designs 1" drop in silver with rubber tops that you can have for $100 if you want to try them. They came off of my mt10 but they will fit the Tracer. I think I paid $179 for them.

Sounds interesting, but my guess is that you live in the US or CA. I’m not sure what the postage and packaging cost will be.

I received an answer from Knight Design on what type of peg might fit on the Tracer. They haven’t fitted it themselves but they have done “extensive OEM research that indicates that the pegs for the FJ-09, FZ-10 and the MT-10 should fit the Tracer”. They offered to wave the 10% restock fee if the pegs would not fit.

Now the question remains: do I buy the 1” KD, the 1.5” KD  or the MFW (which might stick out a bit to far for my likings).

There’s a big price difference between KD and MFW. Including postage and customs the KD comes down to 250 euro. The MFW is 150 euro.  So there’s that to consider as well.....

Does anyone know how many mm/inches the brake and shift pedals on the 900 GT can be adjusted? It looks to me that there’s only a little bit to adjust. Maybe the KD 1.5” lowering pegs will not meet the adjustability of both pedals.

Does anyone here know the maximum lowering distance is for both the brake and gear pedals? 

I think the break pedal can only be moved a little bit down. And the gear a bit more but I need to know if they can be lowered enough to match the Knight Design lowering footpegs (1" down).

• Thumbsup 1

On 8/19/2020 at 7:59 AM, northsouth said:

I have a brand new pair of Knight Designs 1" drop in silver with rubber tops that you can have for $100 if you want to try them. They came off of my mt10 but they will fit the Tracer. I think I paid $179 for them.

Sent you a PM...