DIY Lexan short sport windscreen...

From day one I did not like the original windscreen of my FJ09.

I found it very noisy. In the lowest position, it was a little bit better.But then I tried a FZ07, with no screen at all and I liked that much better...

I had to do something...

I did not found a commercially available windscreen from puig, zero gravity etc... Powerbronze short model is back order.

In desperation, I went instead to Home-Depot and bought a 11x17 sheet of LEXAN clear plastic. Then, just to make sure that I would not waste my 14$ investment, I first made a prototype from an old crazy carpet. It follows the lines of original screen, but obviously shorter.

gc6s6rpm.jpg

AJb72vUl.jpg

Then I went to sleep. The next day, Using a pair of metal sheet scissors I cut the Lexan. Then I block-sanded the edges until no more scissors marks where visible. Then using a Heat gun, I heated the lexan and gived it a curved shaped. Lexan start to be malleable at 155 Celsius, so gloves are definitely required.

yYpcI6el.jpg

Then I removed the original windscreen, placed the new one, and carefully marked the holes to drill.

And voilà ! A brand new short windscreen...

VLAWgPyh.jpg4Lw73e2h.jpgg6JfEMyh.jpgKLkbM5Th.jpgKXV0is6h.jpg

How does it behaves ?

Man ! you would not believe how this screen now helps me doing wheelies in 4th gear in total silence.
The original screen was so heavy, and the down force it produced did not help bringing the front up at all.

Okay, okay, I'm joking. Its still below zero outside, never ending winter.

I will report soon how it does improves the noise level. But so far, I am satisfied with the look. It does not look to much ghetto.
Lexan plastic is shatterproof, but not scratch proof, So I now have to dodge every bug that try to suicide on me. The plastic is also thinner than the original screen, but since it's smaller, it should be OK. The curvature should also help rigidity.

So that was my 1st mod !

Tell me what you think.

Fred

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4Lw73e2h.jpg Lexan plastic is shatterproof, but not scratch proof, So I now have to dodge every bug that try to suicide on me. The plastic is also thinner than the original screen, but since it's smaller, it should be OK. The curvature should also help rigidity.

So that was my 1st mod !

Tell me what you think.

Excellent!

Bugs & scratches: it's small enough you could use thick plastic wrap tear-offs.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

LOL could not wait until saturday !
I just came back from a 50 km ride in 1 Celsius !!!

What an improvement this made compare to stock windshield !

No more head buffeting, much less noise, does not flap around...
I am now deeply in love with this bike. I suddenly don't think about my previous Street Triple R anymore :)

In the low position, the wind was hitting me in the neck. In the high position, at the helmet level.
Both positions were much better than stock.
It was very cold, so I prefered the high position.

I have a friend that also want one, I will do another one, but I think I will try another shape. Maybe wider, but same heigth.

Best 15$ investment ever !!!

LOL could not wait until saturday ! I just came back from a 50 km ride in 1 Celsius !!!

I have a friend that also want one, I will do another one, but I think I will try another shape. Maybe wider, but same heigth.

Best 15$ investment ever !!!

I wish you were close to Ottawa, I'd really like to see how you form the curvature with heat. 
My last bike was also a STripleR.
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Fred,
please specify your height, seat & screen positions..
I believe I'm the sucker to create a table of all screen options, seat positions, member heights & screen positions!
also, if you are going to make another version, make it follow the attaching face profile till the hand guards just get close. 10mm max. gap. Please, I was going to suggest this with your previous $15 investment.
Then let us know how it goes. Can you use 4mm Lexan?
Also, 1 more suggestion. Add more curvature across the width. Make or use offset washers at the screw attachment holes. You may require longer screws. But, this will add structure and rigidity to the span across the width. Naturally, drill your holes after adding the curvature.
good luck!
Cheers,
Steve

Fred,please specify your height, seat & screen positions..
I believe I'm the sucker to create a table of all screen options, seat positions, member heights & screen positions!
also, if you are going to make another version, make it follow the attaching face profile till the hand guards just get close. 10mm max. gap. Please, I was going to suggest this with your previous $15 investment.
Then let us know how it goes. Can you use 4mm Lexan?
Also, 1 more suggestion. Add more curvature across the width. Make or use offset washers at the screw attachment holes. You may require longer screws. But, this will add structure and rigidity to the span across the width. Naturally, drill your holes after adding the curvature.
good luck!
Cheers,
Steve

Steve, This is a wonderful idea !I am 6 feet tall, and use the lower seat position, because the seat wobble less.

Yeah, I know, the curvature did not ended the way I wished.
It sharply bends right along center line with very little distortion on the sides...
I convinced myself that it was part of the bike edgy design. ;)
I guess that I would need to put the entire screen in an oven instead of using a heatgun...
It takes a lot of heat to start the bent, much more that I expected.

Adding an offset is a good idea as the V shaped plastic protusion at the bottom touches the screen.

I have no cheap sources for 4mm lexan... It would definitely be nicer than current thickness, but not that much required.
Any suggestions are welcome !

:)

Grazie Fred!
Using the heat gun is a perfect option. Just use a bag of sand to help with the curvature. Going downwards. As the Lexan begins to soften, it will "fall" in to the bag of sand. Like vacuum forming.
Spread the heat around, not just in the middle. Leave the protective paper on it.
Good job Fred!
Where are you based?
Cheers,
Steve

deer-- we are not that far from Ottawa...lol...maybe fred can make a video... or photos of different stages of bending... really not to hard, i like the sandbag idea as a mould for shaping. i hope too get my bike saturday and see what all is windshield fuss is about. i assume it has to be taller than stock or no shield at all,, Fred has a shorty option that looks good though. I assume if will be different for everyone depending on helmet, body shape and how tall we are from the torso... factor is because we are in a upright ride position too... 

Fred.. Try 
http://www.mcmaster.com/#polycarbonate/=wo0w4h

suggestion. At the top of windshield, make a small lip curve upwards so it will deflect wind higher up or like other post.. V shape so split wind... Just a suggestion. I hope to pickup my FJ Samedi.
Thanks for the link ! 
The plastic I found this morning is way too thick.
It is 5.56mm ( 7/32" )
Stock screen is 4mm (5/32"), and the lexan screen I made is 3mm (3/32")

4mm seems to be the optimal thickness.

The polycarbonate McMaster sell is pricey, but UV resistant and scratch proof.
I can do the same screen with a 12"x12" x 1/8 piece at 21$... Instead of 15$ ;)
Will order tomorrow ! :)

About the lip, I am not really sure...

What I want is a laminar flow, I don't mind having my helmet in the wind ( If I did I would drive a car ), it just have to be clean air with no turbulences.
The stock screen is too high, and only shakes the air before letting it hit your helmet...

Ok made some wind tunnel tests on a new prototype today... 8D

Since my first prototype was not causing any turbulences, it was logic to try to enlarge the windscreen until buffetting occured again. To get the maximum protection without the annoying noise. 8-|

So i made the widest screen that hand guards can clear, and made it 2 inches taller than the original prototype in Lexan. It follows the lines of the edges of plastic cover than holds the screen.

It is made from 1/8" acrylic, which is a better material than Lexan, scratch proof and shatter resistant.

Here is how it looks:

gQHrAWTl.jpg

The conditions were not the exactly the same as the last time i tested the 1st protype, but i think this one is better than my first prototype.
It does not produce turbulences, and I get a slightly better wind protection.

I even used a acrylic flame polishing technique that really makes the edges as glossy as the rest of the screen.
You can't really tell its homemade anymore, I am getting better... :)

ykUFws8m.jpg

This one is a keeper.  ;)

9NFce09h.jpg

Perfect Fred!
you followed the attachment profile!
How much curvature did you apply? The same as the original prototype? So you had a baseline?
How come you made it higher?
Did you make another one for your friend or did you tell him it didn't work out?
Tell him the truth!
Cheers,
Steve

Archived