First oil change on Niken GT

maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member

Thought I'd document oil change procedure for a 2019 Niken GT for posterity purposes. 

1. Get appropriate parts: Yamaha oil filter, Yamaha drain bolt crush ring, appropriate motorcycle specification Synthetic oil Yama lube (Mobil 1). 

2. Assemble needed tools: drain pan, nitrile gloves for the oil, appropriate socket wrench size for drain nut, oil filter wrench, paper towels or shop rags for any spillage, and oil funnel for putting in fresh oil back into the engine. 

3. Fire up engine for about a minute to warm the oil up and shut down engine.

4. Use oil filter wrench and loosen the oil filter counterclockwise prior to draining - this week release any internal vacuum pressure vacuum pressure. Be careful in that the oil might be hot. 

5. Place drain pan underneath the drain plug and then carefully unscrew drain bolt counterclockwise until oil comes out. NOTE: the oil will shoot out pretty far initially in a horizontal direction so place the drain pan a little bit forward of the drain hole.  While oil is draining go ahead and fully remove the loosened oil filter. 

6. Using the fresh oil, line the inner rubber gasket of the new oil filter with fresh oil and pour a little bit into the oil filter directly and apply some fresh oil to the rubber gasket seal so that it's not completely empty/dry when firing it up. Hand screw the oil filter on until snug, and then 1/4 turn the oil filter using the oil filter wrench.

7. Once oil has stopped draining into the drain pan, replace crush ring on drain bolt with fresh one and screw drain bolt back into the drain hole. NOTE: the crush rings are designed for single use only. Do NOT reuse because the Yamaha ones are designed to deform when tightened down to make a tight fitting. Note the pictures below of the side profile of the crush ring in that they are different from your typical flat washer.

8. Use funnel with long goose neck to add oil back into the engine. You cannot use just a traditional funnel on the Niken GT because the CP3 engine cover juts out at such an angle that prohibits the use of a typical funnel e.g. the funnel is almost sideways once you stick into the oil filler hole. 

9. Pour 2.4L of fresh oil into the goose neck funnel. Put oil filler cap back on and fire up the engine for a minute to let the new oil circulate and shut off. once shut off, look at the oil filter level viewer to see whether it is between the top and bottom marks. Add a little bit of oil at a time until it reaches the appropriate level. DO NOT OVERFILL. More is not better in this case because when the engine gets hot, it could over-expand and damage internals due to high oil pressure. Maximum oil according to owners manual is 2.7L when replacing oil and filter, 2.4L if oil only. 

10. Recycle your used oil and filter at your local oil change shop or take it to your local oil recycling facility. Do NOT pour it down the drain or storm gutters. 

Photos below of appropriate parts and their part numbers:

0B6D2D63-1CB5-4589-8247-3F7485C9A20D.jpeg

B365B533-E2C4-44F0-A4DD-CF6EB105283C.jpeg

62ACFF55-1C6F-40FB-AED6-7CCFCECB9E81.jpeg

40572CA2-45EE-4426-B331-8BC7C486CD42.jpeg

44CFB906-B70E-49F4-AB0D-8CF7D9295BED.jpeg

04C1EC2C-8A09-4190-9258-E1CD6963A7F1.jpeg

B889C900-6019-4BD5-8D07-19B8EAE081EC.jpeg

49A730D8-8013-4E88-BF5C-9B95F1CF5177.jpeg

5F933DB2-53E1-40BB-A419-2A55D6868146.jpeg

6B8C59CF-4109-4F38-AAF4-4421B4911FBE.jpeg

Edited by maximNikenGT
Changed Mobil 1 to motorcycle spec oil and adjusted procedures
  • Thumbsup 2

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member
10 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

Nice write up. Pickup a Redline twisted funnel on eBay. Works great with the CP3.

RED LINE Twisted Funnel Oil Fluid Dispenser for Hard-to-Reach Areas

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392953116666?epid=3018712029&hash=item5b7dd4b7fa:g:Q8cAAOSwXt9faS5R

My other funnel of over 20 years finally disintegrated from age. Will look this one up as my next buy. Thanks for the recommendation!

Edited by maximNikenGT

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

Has anyone used a fluid extractor like the following from EWK?

Amazon.com: EWK Patented 10.5L Pneumatic/Manual Oil Extractor Pump for Automobile Fluids Vacuum Evacuation : Automotive

I got one of these recently for my car, but haven't attempted a topside oil extraction on the bike since there's not a dipstick equivalent. I'm assuming I could attempt it through the oil filler cap or through the spin on oil filter hole?

Anyone attempted this before? 

2022-03-27_ewk_fluid_extractor.jpg

• Confused 1

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
38 minutes ago, maximNikenGT said:

Has anyone used a fluid extractor like the following.  I'm assuming I could attempt it through the oil filler cap or through the spin on oil filter hole?

What's your rational for doing it that way? Surely by letting the oil drain from below any crud/particles etc would be ejected?

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Has anyone used a fluid extractor like the following from EWK?

Amazon.com: EWK Patented 10.5L Pneumatic/Manual Oil Extractor Pump for Automobile Fluids Vacuum Evacuation : Automotive

I got one of these recently for my car, but haven't attempted a topside oil extraction on the bike since there's not a dipstick equivalent. I'm assuming I could attempt it through the oil filler cap or through the spin on oil filter hole?

Anyone attempted this before? 

2022-03-27_ewk_fluid_extractor.jpg

I have the same question as @Heli ATP WHY?  
What is the benefit of this vs a gravity drain? Especially since gravity is free?

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

A topside pump must be a quicky trick for a shop tech in a hurry.  Principally for cars and trucks, many of which must be lifted up to get to the filter and drain plug.  Lifting and draining adds a certain amount of work to the job.  Those techs don't care a twit whether they get as much old oil as possible out of the motor.  And people who take their vehicles there don't care, either.

But lets say you had a motor that had a stripped drain plug because the last "tech" cross threaded it (happens a lot) or over-torqued it and damaged the threads.  You don't want to pull that plug out because it may not go back in.  Maybe in a case like that, this would make some sense. An older car that you didn't want the expense of replacing the damaged oil pan.  Something like that.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

That's wayyyy overkill.  I can see needing something like that if for whatever reason you need to suck something out of an area that won't drain, or something...like a differential or a power steering pump or something...but for oil changes ?  Can't see any advantage at all.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
On 3/27/2022 at 8:08 AM, Heli ATP said:

What's your rational for doing it that way? Surely by letting the oil drain from below any crud/particles etc would be ejected?

That's what I thought as well, in that the best way to drain all of the fluid from a car was to use  gravity and the drain plug.  Until I saw this explanation from folks with the Mercedes Benz car club of America. Granted the gentleman is advertising for a friend's patented fluid extractor but the key principle is illustrated vividly using water as an example after the product pitch. 

This made me question whether the drain plug on motorcyclists is similar in that the fluid extractor  may actually do a better job getting the old oil out vs traditional gravity and drain plug. I'm not necessarily advocating going out and buying a fluid extractor  just to perform motorcycle oil changes, but I'm just positing that if I already have one for my car then wouldn't this be a better/faster method for motorcycles? 

Note : I've never disassembled the oil cover off a motorcycle engine before so I don't know if the drain pan has a similar design as that of autos in that the drain plug is in a place where not all the oil can get out using traditional gravity methods.  

Edited by maximNikenGT
Corrected drain plug with drain pan
  • Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

Knocked out an oil change today. Started the switch to synthetic, I had one qt of all purpose Yamalube left and used 1.5 qt of the synthetic. Replaced the drain bolt with a magnetic one from the Yamaha R1. Also had a magnet to drop in the filter but it was too long. Stuck it to the side of the filter and will see if it stays there. The redline twisted oil funnel works well.

Oil 2.jpg

Oil 1.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

On 4/3/2022 at 12:51 PM, Heli ATP said:

Knocked out an oil change today. Started the switch to synthetic, I had one qt of all purpose Yamalube left and used 1.5 qt of the synthetic. Replaced the drain bolt with a magnetic one from the Yamaha R1. Also had a magnet to drop in the filter but it was too long. Stuck it to the side of the filter and will see if it stays there. The redline twisted oil funnel works well.

Oil 2.jpg

Oil 1.jpg

I looked at this picture the other night and honestly thought it was a joke... looked like you were filling from a drain hole, haha. Did my first oil change on the Tracer today and had to double check where I was filling it from. After cutting a few plastic bottles and a piece of tin foil to try and make a makeshift funnel I ended up ordering the same funnel. Made a bit of a mess for today but proper tools are on the way. The CP3 is so bizarre in comparison to my previous inline 4's!

• Haha 1