Speedo

When compared to the sat-nav my spedo reads high by about 4 MPH over the complete range probably a bit more over at higher speeds. I was always of the opinion that the manufacturers set this to the high side to avoid any legal issues with their customers regarding speeding. 

Perhaps the mileage reading high will be of more concern to some owners particularly those on a mileage limited purchase scheme. Know of one person who is expecting a fairly large bill if his bike is returned with more than 12,000 miles. I would be annoyed if I was presented with a bill for excess milage when there was a chance that the bike was actually under the limit. 

Tire diameter has a bigger impact on measured speed than any other factor (the only factor?). A tire which is inflated slightly higher or has a taller side wall will naturally turn fewer rotations for the same distance traveled. I suspect that the factory purposefully calibrates the speedo on the higher side to account for these types of allowances. Just measure your speed at the posted speed limit ONCE using another device and do the math in your head going forward. It's not rocket science. My Suzuki Burgman used to say I was going 110mph when I was barely keeping up with interstate traffic. Never concerned myself with it.

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, andre12a said:

According to roadside speed monitors and other riders and drivers I am 10per cent over.

Something I've noticed is that roadside speed monitors measure my speed very inaccurately, if at all. Maybe the Tracer incorporates stealth technology to avoid radar detection? One can hope.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1