Failed O-ring on OEM chain at 4,000 miles

Back in 2009 I had a new XJ6/FZ6R. It suffered from the same issue, shedding o-rings. I cant believe this is still an issue. A number of other people with XJs also suffered the same problem. Yamaha wouldn't honour it back then.

I assume Yam still use DID's OEM chains. Which - unlike DID's aftermarket chains - are utter junk.

In terms of the inconsistent mileage from people's chains, id say this is variation within the DID supply chain - quality variation between factories. 

Yamaha should have sort these quality issues by now.

Edited by pilninggas

7 hours ago, metallion said:

I used to use that Dupont chain saver back when i had my Triumph Tiger 1050 because that bike had such a short chain guard and threw regular lube everywhere. I never thought it lubed all that well to me so i stopped using it. Seems like you had great luck with it though!

I ran my stock FZ1 chain up to a little over 30,000 miles using that lube and it could've went further, but I replaced for peace of mind.

One thing with adding to this is how tight the chain comes on this bike. It can't be good for it being that tight. What I find odd is at my local dealer you can check the 900's and they're tight as hell and then check the 700's and they are more normal.

• 2 months later...
On 12/8/2020 at 7:39 PM, silverninja said:

All very interesting.  The O-rings on my chain (2016 FJ) were disintegrating at 14K miles; that is the shortest life I've ever had on a modern motorcycle.  I am religious about cleaning and lubing.  Replaced the chain with EK brand.

Same here, but way sooner. My 2016 FJ began shedding O-rings at about 8000 miles on the OEM chain. I replaced it a while ago with a DID 525 VX3 along with new JT sprockets, never looked back.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I bought my FJ used with ~12,000 KM (~7500 miles).

I put about 1000 km on it and several o-rings failed and many links became stiff.

Since replacing chain & sprockets (with a bit more slack as advised on this forum) I've more than doubled the odo and the (no longer) new chain seems to be holding up just fine.  With semi-regular clean & gear oil lube.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount