Failed O-ring on OEM chain at 4,000 miles

I bought my 2019 Tracer GT as a new leftover earlier this spring in March 2020. It just turned 4,000 miles and today i was cleaning the chain after performing 4K service. I use Maxima chain cleaner and a rag as i always do at the end of the riding season.  As i was cleaning the chain i noticed a torn o-ring sticking up out of the chain! Upon further inspection i noticed that there are a total of 4 kinked links in the chain.

This seems very pre-mature to me at only 4,000 miles. I also own a 2019 XSR900 with the same amount of miles and that chain is fine. I maintain it in the same manner as my Tracer or any chain driven bike that i have ever owned. Lube every 400 miles or sooner after being ridden in the rain, and a thorough cleaning either at the end of the riding season or at time of a tire change. I use Maxima chain wax as my normal lube and have never subjected my chains to a brush. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced pre-mature 0-ring failure at such low mileage. 

I called the local dealer and they said that a chain is not a warrantable item. I then called the dealer that i bought the bike from about 100 miles away for a second opinion. They pretty much said the same thing but asked for my VIN and offered to contact Yamaha for me which i thought was decent of them. I just recently replaced the OEM chain and sprockets on my girlfriend's 2009 Suzuki Gladius at 21K so i know how to do this and have a chain tool. It's not really a major expense or overly difficult job. At least at 4K i probably won't have to replace the sprockets on my Tracer. What is your favorite brand of aftermarket chain?

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

Seems like this has been a fairly common issue with Tracer owners.  Had the same thing occur with my 2019 around 7500 miles when my OEM chain started shedding o-rings.  At 10,000 miles (which is less than half the mileage I normally get from a chain), I replaced it along with the sprockets.  My guess is that Yamaha got a bad batch of chains or they pushed their chain supplier to make them chains at a price point to keep costs down.  Like you I am very thorough with my chain maintenance and normally get over 20,000 miles from them.

The D.I.D. ZVM-X chain is an excellent choice. 

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Chain wax is great, and I use it exclusively. But grit does stick in it, and if you aren’t cleaning the old wax off before applying the new, you’re kind of just sealing in the debris. Maybe it’s working its way to your rings. I think I got around 17k out of my OEM chain, cleaning and chain wax every 500-600 miles

• Thumbsup 2

13 hours ago, mellow said:

I had a similar issue with my oem chain... and I didn't feel like I trusted it so I went with the EK 525x118 chain w/screw master link and that has been great.  I changed it at 6k miles and it has 6k on it now and looks like new.

IMG_20190301_183148.jpg

That's exactly what i found with my OEM chain, an o-ring sticking out like yours.

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

12 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Do all Fj's and Tracers come with the same chain as OEM? Mine is a DID chain, at 3 k miles its perfect yet.

Yes i believe so. My previous FJ-09 had an OEM chain made by DID as does my XSR and Tracer GT.

My OEM chain was a D.I.D as well but is no reflection on what they sell in the aftermarket.  I am pretty sure the OEM chain was built to a price point to keep cost down.  The D.I.D chains I have bought for replacement have all been excellent products. 

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

5 hours ago, angrygirafe said:

Chain wax is great, and I use it exclusively. But grit does stick in it, and if you aren’t cleaning the old wax off before applying the new, you’re kind of just sealing in the debris. Maybe it’s working its way to your rings. I think I got around 17k out of my OEM chain, cleaning and chain wax every 500-600 miles

Thanks for the tip. I use one of those "grease ninja" tools when i lube my chain. There is small oil jets that are supposed to put the lube directly over the o-rings. Maybe it's not that good after all. What baffles me is that my XSR900 is the same year with same amount of miles and that chain is fine. Looks like i'll just install a new higher quality aftermarket chain.

• Thumbsup 1

Ive used Maximum before and like it.  Had 18,000 miles on my CBR600RR with no issues and 7,000 miles on my ZX6R 636 with no issues.  My fav chain is DID but EK makes good chains as well.  Much prefer a riveted link, a bit more trouble to install correctly but much more reliable.  I'm  not crazy rigorous on chain cleaning and lubing but clean and lube every 500 miles.   However when on the road may lube every couple of days - haven't had this bike out on a long trip other than the 1,400 mile ride home so will have to see how it goes.

• Thumbsup 2

I got some good news from the dealer i purchased my Tracer from yesterday. Yamaha approved warranty coverage on my chain so it will get a new one. They ordered it and should be in next week. 

Roadrash83.... if your 2019 was a leftover late purchase like mine was maybe it's worth a call to check with your dealer.

• Thumbsup 3

I was doing cleaning on my chain (I am at 4000mi), and noticed the chain jump a bunch when spinning on the center stand just idle in 1st gear when I was spraying degreaser on the chain.   I didn't see any O-rings showing yet, but its clear a few links in the chain are binding up a bit.   I've replaced a number of chains over the years and have the tools for a proper master link setting (I do NOT trust screw style master links!!).   So I am going to order a higher end DID or EK chain for the bike over the winter.   Not sure what is up with the batch of chains on these 2019's but... they seem to be crap.

• Thumbsup 1