New owner looking for suggestions

I just picked up my 15 fj09. I’m looking for suggestions on what should I put on/change with the bike. It is all stock.  I need a  new windscreen, I’m 6’ and it sends wind right into my helmet. Any suggestions on what screen? I think the puig looks good.  Also the seat is not real comfortable, any suggestions there? Thanks! 

• Thumbsup 1

Welcome to the forum @Duder. There are as many posts as opinions on both the seat and the screen. Happy reading on both topics!!

If the bike is truly stock, then a radiator guard is a great place to start adding things. Mirror extenders and grip warmers would be my next two additions.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

5 minutes ago, Duder said:

I just picked up my 15 fj09. I’m looking for suggestions on what should I put on/change with the bike. It is all stock.  I need a  new windscreen, I’m 6’ and it sends wind right into my helmet. Any suggestions on what screen? I think the puig looks good.  Also the seat is not real comfortable, any suggestions there? Thanks! 

Welcome aboard.

Same height as you and same year bike.

I'd go with mirror extenders , front mudguard extender and radiator guard , cos those are inexpensive and almost compulsory. Then ride the bike for a bit, get used to it and decide what you want to change/improve for your style of using the bike.

I've got the puig on mine and I have zero wind hitting my helmet, and ride with my visor up a lot of the time. And it's not in your line of sight or anything.

I think you'll get used to the seat. I put an old sheepskin over mine if riding more than a couple of hours at a time. At first I thought the seat was pretty awful.

To sum up, get those few wee bits, then burn petrol :)

• Thumbsup 1

Welcome! I think you're the closest to me yet. I'm near Halifax, just got my 2015 Sept 9th. Only had 1k miles on it. I tripled that already.

I recommend the Ebay rubber covered foot pegs. They are wider and longer. Mirror extenders also. Got to cut the divider in the tray under the seat. Updated clutch cable. I put softer grips on. Mine came with a V Stream sport windshield so I don't know if it's good or not. I always wear earplugs so noise isn't a problem.

I'm doing an ECU flash, handlebars, TB sync., and changing all fluids over the winter.

The seat....It does wear on the rear. Check the thread on leveling the seat, I did it and it and an Airhawk and I'm decently good.

I thought I got mine late in the season.  Snow will be flying soon.

12 hours ago, Stew said:

Welcome aboard.

Same height as you and same year bike.

I'd go with mirror extenders , front mudguard extender and radiator guard , cos those are inexpensive and almost compulsory. Then ride the bike for a bit, get used to it and decide what you want to change/improve for your style of using the bike.

I've got the puig on mine and I have zero wind hitting my helmet, and ride with my visor up a lot of the time. And it's not in your line of sight or anything.

I think you'll get used to the seat. I put an old sheepskin over mine if riding more than a couple of hours at a time. At first I thought the seat was pretty awful.

To sum up, get those few wee bits, then burn petrol :)

@Stew the puig touring or z racing? 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Agree with you about the windscreen first.  I have the big barn door Givi, but I might buy a shorty next spring for use in the summer.

Next is suspension - at least dial in the preload and rebound best you can on the stock suspension.  Then new rear shock and either cartridges up front or new springs and/or valves.  I also raised the forks 5 mm for quicker turn in.

Fix the fueling - either an o2 sensor eliminator wire harness or reflashing the cpu.

Go with a low profile oil pan drain screw or a guard.  I've got the Mazda 6 screw and Dremeled the ramps in front of it.

I've installed heated hand grips on every bike I've ever owned after I had to spend an hour in a donut shop holding cups of coffee to get warmed up on a cold, spring ride.  The Yamaha grips are almost too hot, but there are cheaper alternatives.  I've also got the Givi hand protectors for more wind protection in the winter.

If you're traveling for work or taking trips, get waterproof, locking hard bags.  The bike is designed for them so no balance or handling issues with them.  I've got the Yamaha bags - be aware you need to order the bags, the locks, and the mounting kit.  Locks don't come with the bags (but the bags can't be safely mounted without them 🙄).

Other things - LED turn signals front and rear.  I have the Blaster X rear taillight and I think Proton front turn signals.  Both are plug and play so you don't need to cut the existing harness.  Brighter for safety and better looking.  Don't forget the LED flasher relay to get the blink rate right.

The ergos have always worked well for me, so I'm fine with the seat, handlebar, and pegs.  A good pair of bicycle shorts as underwear is comfortable for me.

• Thumbsup 1

3 minutes ago, Duder said:

@Stew i just received my puig touring an am still having issues with the wind hitting my helmet, any suggestions? and yes it is at its highest setting. it is alot better then the stock windshield.

No idea. Mibbe try adjusting the angle with some penny washers.
I just rode home in the rain and pitch black , with a dark visor on my helmet, so visor open. And I was very aware of the fact that my eyes weren't even watering or anything, and I was going a fair old speed :) Zero wind blast or even raindrops.

All I can think is see if you can tweak the angle. (Oh , 1 other thing, I have r&G mirror extenders on mine. (On my vstrom 650 the wind blast was evil, until I fitted the mirror extenders, I know it sounds daft , but hey , I can only say what worked for me)

gl

Sounds like you are just about there, grab a bunch of penny washers, and see how much you can angle the screen using those. I bet a couple under the screen on the 2 top fitting bolts (behind the screen obviously, to tweak the angle) and try that.
gl with it.

1 hour ago, Duder said:

received my puig touring an am still having issues with the wind hitting my helmet

I have been getting on well with my puig touring screen, I am 6ft seat in lowest position and wind just feels like the wind blast is just touching the top of the helmet. I can ride with visor up comfortably to about 40mph Only issue I feel I have is riding in rain, and I have to streach up into the wind to clear the visor. My bike came from the first owner with the optional yamaha comfort seat ant I find that very comfortable. I also fitted a set of engine bars. (just in case) After fitting the screen I felt the bike had a top heavy look and I fitted the beak under the headlights to help balance the look so purly aesthetic mod absolutly no useful function.

screen shot.jpg

Edited by HGP61
Additional text

• Premium Member

Here is my list of must have mods:

(items with a * are key improvements that I couldn't ride without)

1. *Corbin Seat
  2. *ECU Flash
  3. *Madstad Engineering wind Screen
  4. Accessory mount for phone
  5. Shad Side bags and mounting brackets
  6. Shad top case and mounting bracket
  7. Garmin 595lm GPS with mounting bracket
  8. Sena 20S for helmet
  9. *Heated Grips
  10. *Radiator guard
  11. *Fuze Block to allow additional electrical items to connect to the bike
  12. Barkbuster hand guards
  13. Extra lights mounted to front forks
  14. *Blaster-X tail light replacement (much brighter than stock, and flashes insane patterns that make you very visible)
  15. Ram handlebar mount
  16. *Cruise Control
  17. USB LED Charger socket (to fit into the cigarette adapter)

Many of these are included in the Tracer I upgraded to in 2020, but I still had to re-buy the Corbin Seat, Madstad screen, blaster-x, phone mount, and fuze block)

• Thumbsup 1