Chain Life

What type of chain life are people getting? I had about 20K on the OEM chain and it was toast.  Have 25K+ on a nice aftermarket chain but while it's not stretched out I do have a link that I think the o-ring has failed. As the chain makes it's rotation there is an audible 'clunk' with each rotation. It is worse when the chain is cold and has not been freshly oiled. I don't have a link that is visibly sticking but it is making a noise. Chain salvageable or is it time to replace ?

• Premium Member

You got your money's worth on that chain, replace it before you get stuck somewhere. IMO, that chain is already past its normal life expectancy.........

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, riding_tall said:

What type of chain life are people getting? I had about 20K on the OEM chain and it was toast.  Have 25K+ on a nice aftermarket chain but while it's not stretched out I do have a link that I think the o-ring has failed. As the chain makes it's rotation there is an audible 'clunk' with each rotation. It is worse when the chain is cold and has not been freshly oiled. I don't have a link that is visibly sticking but it is making a noise. Chain salvageable or is it time to replace ?

Is that 20K miles or kilometers? If it's miles, you may have set a record for the longest life on the OEM chain ever. 

If KMs, yeah it's a little short but not unusual, sadly.