OBD2 scanner reader

roy826

Will this work on the Tracer 900? I know it will work on my Tenere 700 already found the 4 pin connector on it but have not located the connector on the Tracer yet. 

Long story short I had to return my T7 to the dealer for a check engine light clear after it flooded while I was installing Cyclops signal lights turning on the key many time with fuel pump cycling. I pulled the FI fuse to clear the cylinders (this trick worked fine on my old 2012 Super Tenere) and reinstalled fuse and it fired up but left the engine light on. Dealer charged me $55 to clear it. I would rather have just bought one of these and done it myself.

s-l400.png

For certain Yamaha motorbikes motorcycle ATV or similar...

• Supporting Member

@Wintersdark did a great write up; might get you in the right direction:

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

On 11/12/2020 at 9:29 AM, roy826 said:

Will this work on the Tracer 900? I know it will work on my Tenere 700 already found the 4 pin connector on it but have not located the connector on the Tracer yet. 

Long story short I had to return my T7 to the dealer for a check engine light clear after it flooded while I was installing Cyclops signal lights turning on the key many time with fuel pump cycling. I pulled the FI fuse to clear the cylinders (this trick worked fine on my old 2012 Super Tenere) and reinstalled fuse and it fired up but left the engine light on. Dealer charged me $55 to clear it. I would rather have just bought one of these and done it myself.

s-l400.png

Yes, this will work.   With that adapter, you can use any normal ODB2 scanner including the bluetooth dongles.  

You can also buy those scanners with the adapter built in, but I'd advise against that - it works fine, but you're better off IMHO having the adapter and being able to use any ODB2 tool you wish, rather than being stuck with the shitty cheap one.  

I'm very fond of the bluetooth ones, because then you can leave them connected and log data to your phone through a ride, which provides a lot of troubleshooting data beyond just scanning codes... as well as just cool data should you ever want to get into streaming track days and stuff.  You could, for example, log throttle position and lean angle and overlay that on a video :)

But if you don't have either a scan tool or the adapter, the linked one is just fine for scanning codes and clearing them, and is something every Tracer owner should own.   After all, you can pop a code just for running the bike in gear on the center stand, which then locks you out of the setup menu for the dash until it's cleared.

• Thumbsup 1

• 4 months later...
On 11/12/2020 at 11:29 AM, roy826 said:

s-l400.png

I stupidly ran my GT on the centerstand in gear after washing it, now I have a CEL.......guess I'll order this up.

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2021 at 5:02 PM, Ride365 said:

I stupidly ran my GT on the centerstand in gear after washing it, now I have a CEL.......guess I'll order this up.

I did that the other day, not for long, just lecturing the kid on how clutches work and such.  Didn't get a light though.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Yamajank said:

Do you need some Yamaha software to really be able to do self-diagnosis and see all the codes?

No, the OBD reader will tell you what the code is, and you can reset it as well. No special software needed.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Yamajank said:

Do you need some Yamaha software to really be able to do self-diagnosis and see all the codes?

As @draco_1967 said, the code reader itself will read codes and reset them fine without any extra hardware.  If you want more, though, you'll want a wifi or bluetooth adapter.  The $5 blue ones on Amazon, or better, the ScanTool models (roughly $50) will let you use better software so not only can you read and reset codes, but you can also run live monitoring software on your phone or tablet, and chart data as you ride.  Typically, you'd use Torque ODB2 to do this, but there's other software too.  It's all very inexpensive  or free and readily available in the Play Store / App Store.

With that said, the Yamaha Self Diagnosis (that results in the pretty printed sheet dealer techs will give you after a service) does require their own equipment and software.  I've no idea how you get that, but assume it's insanely expensive because of course it would be.  But really, while I'm sure that would be useful, you have access to all the same data live with a cheap bluetooth ODB2 plug.  

• Thanks 1