Diagnosing throttle bodies at dealer

NormR

Do dealers use the OBD2 plug on our bikes to see if the throttle bodies need to be adjusted? 

I heard Triumph dealers use a special diagnostic tool that plugs in the obd plug and reads the TB’s to see if they need adjustment.

If there is someway I can avoid tearing into the bike only to discover the throttle bodies are within specs would be fantastic.

Perhaps, kind of, it only has two MAP sensors. Two far right throttle bodies share the same, and the far left has one.

So in theory, if the far right TB is "set" you can adjust the middle and far left based upon some math.

Unfortunately the dealer software is guarded better then most automotive auto makers.

• Thumbsup 1

Yamaha doesn’t have this feature as far as I am aware. But you can still achieve what you want by extending the balance ports with some vacuum hose and some bungs to a point that’s accessible.

You can then check it anytime but you’ll need to strip it down to adjust. It’s really not that big a deal though. Half an hour job at most to pull the fairings and tank.

• Thumbsup 2

Short answer is No. Any software will only give APS/TPS voltages.  The map sensors read pressure changes as Kilo mentioned so aren’t reliable to use for sync (plus, one of them is also does double duty as a Cam position/ cyl ID sensor at startup).

When you are measuring and adjusting sync you are using air bypass screws which affect the vacuum changes measured by the ports. The throttle plates are fixed and cannot be physically moved, unlike carbs of old. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
27 minutes ago, skipperT said:

Short answer is No. Any software will only give APS/TPS voltages.  The map sensors read pressure changes as Kilo mentioned so aren’t reliable to use for sync (plus, one of them is also does double duty as a Cam position/ cyl ID sensor at startup).

When you are measuring and adjusting sync you are using air bypass screws which affect the vacuum changes measured by the ports. The throttle plates are fixed and cannot be physically moved, unlike carbs of old. 

-Skip

Great knowledgeable answer, thanks for sharing. 👍

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Let me say I came from a Honda ST1300.  You don't know hassle till you removed everything on it for normal maint. I don't know how I did it for the last 12 years. I WAS younger is part of it.

I'm currently doing ALL maint. to my FJ-09 and it's a piece of cake in comparison.  Included in that is a TB sync. There are no shortcuts for it. Has to be done. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Let me say I came from a Honda ST1300.  You don't know hassle till you removed everything on it for normal maint.

I'm currently doing ALL maint. to my FJ-09 and it's a piece of cake in comparison. 

Agreed, I VERY much appreciate the 'ease of access' on this bike, at one point I was considering an FJR and then started looking at all of the fairings and body panels... 😲

Once you do it a few times, you can strip it down to the airbox in just a few minutes.  I even swapped out the fasteners on the airbox lid for hex head fasteners so I can zip them off with a cordless drill in seconds.

image.thumb.png.e77504fc937fa10c9674172546ce3cea.png

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***