Happy birthday to me

Waldo Jeffers

K-Tech Razor-R Lite shock

K-Tech 20IDS cartridges

I will be installing the shock in the next few days and will take the forks to the “local” shop for install of the cartridges. I don’t have the balls to attempt that. Great admiration for the folks on here that have. 

A392D840-5900-48A4-B1D9-E1D9ACF7A9BC.jpeg

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 5

• Supporting Member

Now I have suspension envy

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 3

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, Waldo Jeffers said:

K-Tech Razor-R Lite shock

K-Tech 20IDS cartridges

Happy Birthday indeed.  🍻

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Nice!
Did the shock come correctly preloaded or you had to adjust it manually? I see you removed the tank too, you found it difficult to install it without removing it?

I have my suspension parts still in the box, I'm debating whether do it myself (shock only, forks will go to the shop either way) or have the local shop do the whole work for me.

6 hours ago, lospsi said:

Nice!
Did the shock come correctly preloaded or you had to adjust it manually? I see you removed the tank too, you found it difficult to install it without removing it?

I have my suspension parts still in the box, I'm debating whether do it myself (shock only, forks will go to the shop either way) or have the local shop do the whole work for me.

The shock did seem to be in the ballpark. I will fine tune in it after my forks are upgraded. 

I decided to just go ahead and take the tank off to make getting to the top fasteners easier. I really don’t think I would have had the patience to get that top bolt out without destroying my garage. 

Overall the install was quite a breeze with all the info I had gathered on this site. Removing the tank is quite easy except for the fuel connector. 

I now have to remove the forks and drop them off at the shop for cartridge install. 5-7 day lead time. Grrrrr. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

They do that to keep you in suspense

...I'll just show myself out.

Seriously though - does anyone use the 'sock' over the rear shock?  I installed a cheap ebay fender hugger that seems to keep the splashes and debris off.

Anyway, that looks great!!  Looking forward to your thoughts after it's all done and tuned.

• Haha 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Waldo Jeffers said:

Finally got my forks back with my new cartridges. Let the good times roll!

We need a ride report once you spend some road time with the new parts. 👍

• Thumbsup 1

After I installed and went for a ride and realized that I didn’t clock the forks to make them right reading and symmetrical. Derp. 

I gotta say the bike is transformed as others have said. I still haven’t set the sag yet (I think it’s in the ballpark). I do have the forks higher in the triple tree by 2mm than they were stock, but need to go a skosh more. 

Once the sag is set, I’ll start the black art of adjusting the comp and rebound on the front and rebound on the back. 

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, Waldo Jeffers said:

After I installed and went for a ride and realized that I didn’t clock the forks to make them right reading and symmetrical. Derp. 

I gotta say the bike is transformed as others have said. I still haven’t set the sag yet (I think it’s in the ballpark). I do have the forks higher in the triple tree by 2mm than they were stock, but need to go a skosh more. 

Once the sag is set, I’ll start the black art of adjusting the comp and rebound on the front and rebound on the back. 

If you can manage a ride down to KFG (any excuse for a ride right?) they can do a base-line setup for you, - call and ask.   

I live about 30 minutes from "The Ridge" and rode up there one day they were supporting a trackday event and had them set up everything from ride height, preload/sag to clicker settings.

That’s who did the forks. I used to Race with Barry, the owner, years ago. I do want to get down to The Ridge to watch a race, especially MotoAmerica. 

Did you do a track day? Do they require a full or two piece leather suit? It’s been a looonnng time for me being on track.