Niken recalls

maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member

Just learned about this recall for Nikens due to faulty brake switch from the Facebook Niken owners forum. Anybody know about this?

Yamaha Recall of certain Tracer GT, NIKEN GT, Super Ténéré, Star Eluder and Star Venture motorcycles

Summary: Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA (Yamaha) is recalling certain 2018-2020 MTT9GT (Tracer GT), 2019 MXTGTKL (NIKEN GT), 2017-2020 MT10, 2018-2020 XTZ12 (Super Ténéré), 2013-2020 FJR13, 2018 XV19B (Star Eluder), and 2018-2021 XV19 (Star Venture) motorcycles. The front brake switch can fail due to increased resistance from silicon oxide.

Remedy: Yamaha will notify owners, and dealers will replace the front brake switch, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin January 13, 2021. Owners may contact Yamaha customer service at 1-800-962-7926. Yamaha’s number for this recall is 990140. Note: Owners are advised not to operate their motorcycle until the repairs have been performed.

Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Just got my brake replacement switch replaced under the recall notice. Attached is the detailed part number. Note : for some reason my dealership indicated that if I hadn't come in to get the part replaced then the dealer was required to send the part back to Yamaha within a very specific timeframe. If the shop hadn't called me to let me know the part had come in then they might have shipped it back before I had a chance to schedule the install. 

Don't know if that's normal for recall parts.  Part number is 90891-30149-00. 

Took the shop about two hours to do the replacement. 

8C2ED2B6-84AB-4694-B8EE-33DC7EEEA560.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
36 minutes ago, maximNikenGT said:

if I hadn't come in to get the part replaced then the dealer was required to send the part back to Yamaha

That sounds really odd - I wonder what's up with that.

My g/f is a warranty admin for a Ford store - she says once they order parts for a recall, they own it - so there is no impetus at all to send it / them back.  Only the old parts are shipped back.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, knyte said:

That sounds really odd - I wonder what's up with that.

Yeah I thought it was really strange that the motorcycle service tech mentioned that specifically to me. 

On a different note, if you try to call Yamaha's toll free number listed above for more info, no one picks up and it doesn't direct you to voicemail. It will literally hang up on you when no one picks up. Unusual customer service oversight from an industry giant like Yamaha. 

2019 Niken GT

• 9 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Could no longer find Niken recall notices on the NHTSA website for recalls in the US and decided to post this for posterity. 

BE303DC4-2E1C-4176-BA99-52D56ECAAF73.jpeg

8FC8C0DD-25ED-4941-A985-7879D5F282E4.jpeg

DB638512-26F1-43B2-A66D-803B470C8F19.png

24A2AEA1-9277-4E63-AC5B-3ADFFF6E36DE.png

2019 Niken GT

• 5 months later...
  • Supporting Member

FYI - the recalled brake switch that was installed actually screwed up my cruise control as confirmed by my local yamaha dealer. Took almost 3 months to replace the recalled brake sensor because of supply chain issues. I placed the order back on April 29, 2022. The part finally came in last Friday July 22. 

And it appears that I finally have cruise control again! 😀

• Thumbsup 2

2019 Niken GT

Thanks for the information. I've looked at my 2 Yamaha Niken and one of them (used model) if it's affected by that campaign.... and the cruise control doesn't work for me.
Edited by alpina
  • Thumbsup 1

• 11 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Approximately 18k yamaha motorcycles were impacted by the front brake switch recall issue including the Niken GTs. https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto/two-wheelers/yamaha-recalls-18-000-bikes-in-us-over-faulty-brake-light-41610189713717.html

2019 Niken GT