Hi, new owner from California

Hi,

I just bought a 2020 Tracer 900 GT. It will be my second bike and will replace my 2016 Honda CB500F (twin) that has ~28,000 miles on it. I was going to get an MT-09, then a Z900, then a Tracer 900 GT, then a Triumph Tiger 900 GT. I finally decided the best option was to go Japanese 3 for long term reliability, reduced ownership cost, and ease of service and parts.

I pick it up this coming Saturday and will be driving it about 122 miles home. I'm hoping someone can help guide me about the break-in process. I can certainly take back roads (city, country) the whole way but at some point I'm hoping I can hop on the freeway and vary riding using 5th and 6th gear.

Look forward to chatting and hoping I have something I can contribute.

Thanks,

James

• Thumbsup 4

Hello James. Congrats on the new bike. Lots and lots of folks here who know CA riding well. You may want to be more specific about where you are picking it up and where you are going. Folks may have specific roads to recommend. But when it comes to break in process, that's akin to oil questions. Half will say follow the manual and stay mostly below 6,000 RPM, which on these bikes is really easy to do and still go highway speeds. The other half will say ride it like you stole it right away. There is evidence and data on both sides. 

The more agreed thing is to change the oil WAY sooner than the recommended first change. Many here, myself included, did our first change at like 100 miles. There is manufacturing debris and early metal shavings that come out on this first change. 

Welcome here. Read a lot. Unlikely you will have a question that has not already been answered. Search! 

• Thumbsup 2

Hi Salish,

Thanks for the reply. I bought it in Riverside (Malcom Smith) and will ride it all the way down to Chula Vista (south of San Diego).

I do plan to do the soft break-in, even though I found this video basically saying it doesn't matter.

Thanks for the help!!

Ha! Malcom Smith did a lot of my maintenance when I was in Cali. Heading south go up to Lake Matthews, and take Gavilan Road and Santa Rosa Mine Road to the 74, 74 to I5 and home. It’s a longer route than it needs to be, but those first few roads are quiet with a few twists in them. You’ll enjoy the bike without having to wring out the throttle 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Break-in procedure will cause a lot of debate, I ride the bike like I normally do without getting too high in the rpm range but also definitely avoided riding it too low in the rpm range with a load on the motor.  Many opinions and all of them free. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Yeah, I live 10 minutes from tons and tons of canyons which is nice. I only missed about 10 days of commuting last year to weather so it's nice. I'm looking forward to those heated grips.

Where are you located now?

Edited by jamespz03

1 hour ago, jamespz03 said:

Yeah, I live 10 minutes from tons and tons of canyons which is nice. I only missed about 10 days of commuting last year to weather so it's nice. I'm looking forward to those heated grips.

Where are you located now?

I’m in Phoenix. There’s good riding in Arizona, but you have to make a day of it to get the good stuff, and it’s still not as good as what you’ve got 10 minutes away 😂

• Thumbsup 1

My in-laws just moved to Yuma, which I know is not close to PHX. I know there's a popular canyon road/ride somewhere near you that I want to check out. Then again, it could southeast near Tucson. I just can't remember.

Do you ride year round or skip the hottest months?

@jamespz03

BTW I started riding in 2015, and my 2015 CB500x had 27000 miles on it when I got the T900GT in December 2018. I picked my Yamaha up in Santa Barbara and did pretty much what you described to get home - hop on the freeway and go between 5th and 6th.

So it seems that our motorcycle experiences are sort of similar with just a year or two offset, if I just equate my X with your F.

Edited by wanderer
I corrected the T900GT purchase date, it was 2018 not 2019!!

12 hours ago, jamespz03 said:

My in-laws just moved to Yuma, which I know is not close to PHX. I know there's a popular canyon road/ride somewhere near you that I want to check out. Then again, it could southeast near Tucson. I just can't remember.

Do you ride year round or skip the hottest months?

I ride year round. Warmest I’ve seen the FJ claim was 124F while sitting at a red light. It was a little toasty. 

I haven’t explored too much to the south; I usually head towards the mountains in the north for some cooler weather 😂

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, angrygirafe said:

I ride year round. Warmest I’ve seen the FJ claim was 124F while sitting at a red light. It was a little toasty. 

I haven’t explored too much to the south; I usually head towards the mountains in the north for some cooler weather 😂

I think I'm thinking of Tortilla Flat but I can't remember. You're a badass.

10 hours ago, wanderer said:

@jamespz03

BTW I started riding in 2015, and my 2015 CB500x had 27000 miles on it when I got the T900GT in December 2019. I picked my Yamaha up in Santa Barbara and did pretty much what you described to get home - hop on the freeway and go between 5th and 6th.

So it seems that our motorcycle experiences are sort of similar with just a year or two offset, if I just equate my X with your F.

Yeah, it sounds like we pretty much are doing the same thing. 

Did you ride your bike on the freeway the whole way home or did you mix taking back roads (the 1) and freeway. Anything you're willing to share about your ride back would be great. Thanks.

And I'm down to ride if you ever want to meet up. The last two weekends I rode to Idyllwild to get used to long trips. We did Mailbu about a month before that. I just needed to get out of the house and do more than a canyon run.