GT Fork spring length different?

Basket

Can anyone tell me the length of the stock fork springs in the 2019-2020 tracer gt specifically?   Race tech lists shorter length replacement springs for the newer bike compared to the earlier fj09 and mt09.  The springs that I ordered are only 270mm long,  while others have posted here of getting springs 340mm long. That leads me to think the stock springs have different lengths. 

Edited by Basket
change of title wording

On 4/27/2021 at 9:50 AM, Basket said:

Can anyone tell me the length of the stock fork springs in the 2019-2020 tracer gt specifically?   Race tech lists shorter length replacement springs for the newer bike compared to the earlier fj09 and mt09.  The springs that I ordered are only 270mm long,  while others have posted here of getting springs 340mm long. That leads me to think the stock springs have different lengths. 

I have a 2019 GT 900 that I had redone by Traxxion Dynamics. Just pulled out the old stock springs and measured them. 30.7cm, 307mm or about 12 1/8 inches.

20210429_081540[1].jpg

Thanks for the info, guess I’m going to need longer spacers, unlike previous posters that needed to cut the stock ones shorter. 
Instead of replacing the stock spacer , which is flanged to fit the top of the springs, can I add a second spacer below the fork springs? 

11 hours ago, Basket said:

Thanks for the info, guess I’m going to need longer spacers, unlike previous posters that needed to cut the stock ones shorter. 
Instead of replacing the stock spacer , which is flanged to fit the top of the springs, can I add a second spacer below the fork springs? 

The flanged spacer is also designed to work with progressive springs, which sometimes taper on one end (FJ/MT). You’ve ordered traditional single rate springs and thus the spacers will be included in the box and (possibly) need to be cut for your application.  

you could add a second spacer below, but it’s not recommended and probably won’t be necessary.

This will make more sense once you get in there to install the springs  

-Skip

Hi Skip, I have the springs already, they are 270 mm long, but no length of spacer was included with them, just 4 flat washers. I will get a length of pvc to cut a couple of new spacers. If the stock spacer fits into the new springs, I will just add a short length to the stack to achieve proper preload. It’s where do I actually place that second spacer that is my concern. 

I was surprised as well, but just 2 springs and 4 washers in the box. I may shoot race tech an email just to make sure that’s all I’m supposed to have.

• Thumbsup 1

Emailing them sounds like a good plan
Based on your info, then you’re probably correct that a new spacer will go under the spring. Because you will have a hard time assembling/disassembling the fork with no way to grab onto the spacer and compress the spring while pulling up the inner damping rod. The holes in the stock spacer are for that purpose. 

However it might be a better plan to cut a new spacer to both replace the factory spacer and take up the slack that your new spring has created so that the preload is correct. Then there are less parts banging around inside the fork tube.

But racetech should steer you in the right direction.  One of the Dave Moss videos mentioned never having more than 15mm of preload on a spring but I don’t know if that applies here. Something to keep in the back of your mind. 

-Skip

1 hour ago, skipperT said:

Emailing them sounds like a good plan
Based on your info, then you’re probably correct that a new spacer will go under the spring. Because you will have a hard time assembling/disassembling the fork with no way to grab onto the spacer and compress the spring while pulling up the inner damping rod. The holes in the stock spacer are for that purpose. 

However it might be a better plan to cut a new spacer to both replace the factory spacer and take up the slack that your new spring has created so that the preload is correct. Then there are less parts banging around inside the fork tube.

But racetech should steer you in the right direction.  One of the Dave Moss videos mentioned never having more than 15mm of preload on a spring but I don’t know if that applies here. Something to keep in the back of your mind. 

-Skip

And the Sonic Springs install guide I got recommended 15mm preload as well.  Just a random but related data point.