Chain Lube

I'm not too surprised at 12,000 miles on a liter bike if it's ridden hard.  Believe they are running 525s, used to be 530 but to lower chain mass and overall weight they've gone to the smaller chain.  525 is what the Tracer GT uses and has less HP.  He probably replaces chains before they get in too bad a condition - I've seen chains fail on the track and at best it an uncomfortable situation.  Imagine planning to use power to stand the bike up from corner apex and boom, no power no drive and you coast to a stop.  Much worse stuff can happen.  

3 hours ago, Mattf said:

That's amazing mileage out of a chain & Sprockets. What size motor? I typically go about 12,000 miles on a chain. That's on mostly Liter Bikes.I ride pretty hard. Don't like to push wear componets to the last bits. Sitting on the side of the road is not a good time!

Gets that kind of mileage on both 650's and liter bikes "Suzuki V-Stroms".

1 hour ago, Ride365 said:

Gets that kind of mileage on both 650's and liter bikes "Suzuki V-Stroms".

I tode the geck out of 2 DL650's and got over 20,000 out of every chain in over combined 115,000 miles. 12000 is not good!

5 hours ago, Mattf said:

That's amazing mileage out of a chain & Sprockets. What size motor? I typically go about 12,000 miles on a chain. That's on mostly Liter Bikes.I ride pretty hard. Don't like to push wear componets to the last bits. Sitting on the side of the road is not a good time!

What kind of chain are you using!!? Ate you tunning it looser rather than tight, and do you check you alignment? Thats ridiculously short chain life if mainly road mileage.

On 6/13/2021 at 8:46 AM, Ride365 said:

CLEANING chains causes the most issues, at least in terms of how some do it with solvents and brushes.

And is ultimately unnecessary in most cases too.  I mean, it's nice to have a clean shiny chain, but unless it's caked in mud and sand just ensuring it's lubed is good.

• Thumbsup 2

• 3 weeks later...